Rare, obscure or OOP Guidebooks

EWolfe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK OK, I know they aren't guidebooks, but a couple of my prizes are:

FUNDAMENTALS OF ROCK CLIMBING by the MIT Outing Club... 1956

That one came with an original receipt for all the rack and rope too. cool.gif Total incl book??? $52.22 blush.gif

Belaying the Leader AN OMNIBUS ON CLIMBING SAFETY by the Sierra Club... 1959

BTW, I live in a house with an alarm and three pit bulls. yellaf.gif

Climbing in the Magic Island (Lofoten, Norway) - Ed Webster

on the skiing side:

Sierra Spring Ski Touring - HJ Burhenne (2nd BC ski guide in the US)

Skiing - The International Sport (oversized 30's limited edition awesomely illustrated ski book - includes ski mountaineering)

3 of the 4 editions of Snowy Torrents

The Climbers Guide to Yosemite Valley by Steve Roper, not sure which edition cause it's missing the first six pages after the pictures, from between 1970 and 1973.

A bit more rare: Rock Climbs in Yosemite, ed by Dave Nicol, collected, collated, drawn, etc by Pete Livesey, Keith Nannery (who gave me both these and a bunch of pitons), Dave Nicol no date but also from the early 70s.

This one begins "This guide was originally intended as a quick 'run-off' for use by the itinerant British climber, although it has now been considerable expanded. Needless to say we do hope that our North American cousins will find it both acceptable and useful." :-)

Every guidebook to Leavenworth that was ever written - including the orange and white Beckey's, a bunch of old Off Belay's from the 70's, and, like a couple of people in this thread, a copy of Climbing Ice, but it's signed by my wife as a Christmas present - and says that my present is a three day seminar with Chouinard and Donini learning to ice climb (circa 1978).

A friend has promised his copy of Routes and Rocks as well as his orignal Beckey when he passes on - I'm in no hurry to collect.