Least tagged summits?

AllYouCanEat

What do you think the least summited mountains in Washington are? I'm thinking it has to be some peaks in the Olympics. It may also be interesting to add a photo of the mountain. I once met a old man (mid 70's) on the top of this tiny choss pile in the middle of nowhere (alpine lakes area). He told me that he'd climbed every other choss pile in the area and throughout washington (I tested him. Fury? Yep. Prussik? Yep. Chair. Challenger. You get the point). bigdrink.gif

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Olympics, the Valhallas come to mind. That's probably just because I've never been there, and I hardly ever hear of anyone going out there . But you can count on them being lesser peaks with no close trail or road and a nice bushwack to get to them, where ever those summits might be.

Has anyone here actually been into The Valhallas? I read about a guy who was trying to climb every peak in The Olympics over 5000 feet back in the 70's and 80's. Sadly he slipped on wet rock and died hiking out The South Fork of the Hoh after a successful trip into the Valhallas.

I would guess the Chimney Mtn/Muncaster Basin/Mt Dellabarre areas are rarely visited. The Lightning Peak area in the Southern Olympics is pretty lonely too I believe.

The father of a good buddy of mine has several first ascents in the Valhallas. I've heard many stories and seen many slides of the area. I believe there was a group of about seven of them that went in around '78. If the gentleman who passed away is the one that I'm thinking of, he was in that group. My buddy actually has his old compass and water bottle. We're planning on heading in there sometime within the next couple of years to scope things out and possibly climb some new peaks and spires. If you'd like more info on the area I can try and find out what I can, or if you'd like to see some slides I'm sure that we can arrange a night with a little bigdrink.gif.

The father of a good buddy of mine has several first ascents in the Valhallas. I've heard many stories and seen many slides of the area. I believe there was a group of about seven of them that went in around '78. If the gentleman who passed away is the one that I'm thinking of, he was in that group. My buddy actually has his old compass and water bottle. We're planning on heading in there sometime within the next couple of years to scope things out and possibly climb some new peaks and spires. If you'd like more info on the area I can try and find out what I can, or if you'd like to see some slides I'm sure that we can arrange a night with a little bigdrink.gif.

I think you're talking about Harold Pinsch who wrote the forward to the first edition of the Climbers Guide to the Olympics. He climbed them in 1971. And no, I'm not Rainman. I was researching them a couple of weeks ago and book marked a link I found through Google.

Harold Pinsch's obit...

I think you're talking about Harold Pinsch who wrote the forward to the first edition of the Climbers Guide to the Olympics. He climbed them in 1971. And no, I'm not Rainman. I was researching them a couple of weeks ago and book marked a link I found through Google.

We must be talking about different people. My buddy's father's name is Bill Larson. I believe the gentleman that passed away was Mike Lonac. They got the FA's of Bragi, Mimir, Freyja, Vidar North and South, and Slepiner.

I think you'll find Fred B. has not climbed any of the least-tagged summits in the Cascades that bear mentioning here. Fred wouldn't concern himself with such arcane matters. Fred's all about the obscure...outside of Washington...now.

Tru, Dru, the east "peak" of SE Mox has not been climbed but it's hard to call that a "summit" in the manner intended on this thread (IMO).

I know Stefan has climbed the Skykomish Bear Mountain. I know Roper has climbed Isolation and Crowder (heck, probably even Bear).

Here are some pics showing Isolation Peak:

from Primus Peak I

from Primus Peak II

from Klawatti Peak

And here is one showing Mt. Crowder (from Mt. Baker).

There are some real peaks (ridge highpoints with >400 ft of prominence) in the Cascades that may have never been tagged--peaks that only Stefan, myself (and probably Roper) may know about. We will not be divulging any info to you yahoos.

There are some real peaks (ridge highpoints with >400 ft of prominence) in the Cascades that may have never been tagged--peaks that only Stefan, myself (and probably Roper) may know about. We will not be divulging any info to you yahoos.

I heard about those. Beckey tagged them already... yellaf.gif

OK, OK, I'm full of shite. Where, however, did you come up with the definition of a "real" peak as being a ">400 foot prominence"? I'm not challenging you, just wonder where that definition came from....

Wow what an exclusive club. I and the other yahoos are impressed. I must study to find out where these peaks are so I can leave a can on top of a rock with my name on it where no one else has.

It would be good form to tag a summit up in the Valhallas and leave the man's compass at the top.

The Valhallas have been on the minds of myself and my climbing partner for the last 6 months. Unfortunately he is away for the rest of the year pursuing another passion, so our trip into there has to wait until next spring. But I am an acquaintence of another of the first ascentionists in the Valhallas, Roger Becket. He's got some interesting pics and stories of their trip in the early 70's. Yes, frankly there aren't many peaks in the Olympics (or Cascades I'll venture) that take the commitment in time and bushwack as the Valhallas. Another group I know attempted them a couple years back, and were overwhelmed by the jungle of the South Fork of the Hoh.

True dat!

BTW....I have been up Isolation and Newhalem peaks in a day round trip. They are not that difficult.

I think you'll find Fred B. has not climbed any of the least-tagged summits in the Cascades that bear mentioning here. Fred wouldn't concern himself with such arcane matters. Fred's all about the obscure...outside of Washington...now.

Tru, Dru, the east "peak" of SE Mox has not been climbed but it's hard to call that a "summit" in the manner intended on this thread (IMO).

I know Stefan has climbed the Skykomish Bear Mountain. I know Roper has climbed Isolation and Crowder (heck, probably even Bear).

Here are some pics showing Isolation Peak:

from Primus Peak I

from Primus Peak II

from Klawatti Peak

And here is one showing Mt. Crowder (from Mt. Baker).

what a convenient way of ignoring all those pinnacles and summits that are too hard for you. wave.gif There seem to be many technically challenging pinnacles, needles and spires less than 400 ft. tall that only Pete Doorish has ever climbed yellaf.gif

OK, OK, I'm full of shite. Where, however, did you come up with the definition of a "real" peak as being a ">400 foot prominence"? I'm not challenging you, just wonder where that definition came from....

It came from the Bulgers. In addition, I have been told the Washington State Geographic Names Board now names peaks with over 400' of prominence (I guess it is their rule too.). Just becuase a peak is NOT named now on a map does not mean it will not be named in the future. I guess someday all those peaks will be named....so long as Washington stays a state.