Rap Anchors - FYI

fenderfour

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not certain what exactly is the size. They are rated over a 2000 lbs. The largest loads generated when rappelling if you are careful not to bounce is about twice your weight, which in my case is 2 x 200 = 400 lbs. This leaves a comfortable safety margin. The main reason I like quick links over rap rings is that I can put them around multiple existing slings.

I heard about some testing done on quicklinks in the mid 90's. Sorry, I don't have a link or magazine article to refer to. Basically the Taiwan quicklinks occasionally broke below their "rated" strength of 800kg and the french made Maillon Rapides broke at nearly double their stamped strength. But again, this was 10 years ago, so maybe quality control has improved and this is a moot point. However, it would be interesting to see which QL's corode faster, in regard to which types should be left on permanent chain stations. These days, if someone's old QL looks thick enough, and it isn't worn through, I'll rap off of it, regardless of where it was made. And if it looks dodgy, I'll leave my own 'biner anyway. I've seen some awfully skinny quick links being left on bail slings out there.

Basically, I keep finding booty 'biners faster than I need to leave them. So thats why I'm not in the market for quick links.

I'm not certain what exactly is the size. They are rated over a 2000 lbs. The largest loads generated when rappelling if you are careful not to bounce is about twice your weight, which in my case is 2 x 200 = 400 lbs. This leaves a comfortable safety margin. The main reason I like quick links over rap rings is that I can put them around multiple existing slings.

There's also the history issue.

I have never questioned the legitimacy of a quicklink in a system: They're steel and wrenchlocked.

But I have many times wondered with left 'biners, aluminum rap rings, etc.

inspecting your gear goes without saying. All the biners I don't trust get turned into coat hangers, bottle openers, dog-leash connectors, and kite-skiing hooks. But 99% of the booty biners I find look pretty darn fresh, and i don't think twice rappin off them - or adding them to my rack if they're spiffier than the ones I already have!

Not tryin to kick a dead horse in the jaw, but...

Some facts for those that may be confused:

Standard zinc plated quick links at Lowe's (Home Depot was slightly more$):

3/16"- 660 lbs working load limit; $1.82

1/4"-880 lbs working load limit; $1.96

5/16"-1765 lbs working load limit; $2.39

7/16"-2450 lbs working load limit; $2.67

Still would love to know where you guys find $.75-$.85 5/16"or bigger quick links!?confused.gif

traditionally, WLL is a rating in kg. For instance, a tri-link will be stamped 900kg. If you wanted a breaking strength, I believe the calculation would be

(900kg)(9.81m/s^2)(5) = 44,145N, or 44 kN.

They were clearly marked "lbs".

Wish someone could hook me up with those cheap ones. wave.gif

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a bad idea to pay attention to rap slings. Testing has showed that cyclic loading on water-knots tends to cause them to come untied. In other words, the more often a knot is rappelled on, the more likely it is to slowly work its way untied.

I'm with Dylan. I find biners faster than I can leave them behind. I haven't carried rap rings or quick links for quite awhile.

Jason

traditionally, WLL is a rating in kg. For instance, a tri-link will be stamped 900kg. If you wanted a breaking strength, I believe the calculation would be

(900kg)(9.81m/s^2)(5) = 44,145N, or 44 kN.

NO ian, you have to know what factor of safety that they are using for their computations...assuming 5 is pretty big...probably more like 2 or 3...

My point was that he doesn't neccesarily know that is the FS used in determining the WL...it varies from company to company (no, it is NOT STANDARD)...i do this for a living...a better method is to determine the gr of steel and then look at the prop's or contact the mfr directly.

help me here GregW!!

I thought components like maillon rapide links that pass ANSI (or is it OSHA) hoist standards are required to have a minimum 5:1 factor of safety. I could go dig up the reg. but I'm pretty lazy. I believe OSHA at least requires overall rigging to meet 5:1.

But I will not argue with a structural engineer smirk.gif

Iain, your correct about ANSI or OSHA rated hardware. I think if we look back through the thread there is some question about whether it's the OSHA rated or CE certified links verses the Home Depot $1.39 links. Since there is no regulating body the cheapies don't neccessarily follow all the rules.

It is probably wise to use two (there cheap wink.gif) and figure on the conservitive side. On the other hand I don't know if I would want to try OSHA approved climbing, talk about a fuster cluck cantfocus.gif

Don't know/remember what UIAA or other climbing bodies use as a safety factor but for rigging as used for lifting 5:1 is the standard ratio for breaking strength to rated load. There are lots of good reasons & examples why that's not excessive.

Really Bombproof

3160bolt_2-med.jpgwave.gif

really close together rolleyes.gif

only one anchor clipped.

shadetree welded ring bullshit.

virtually non serviceable biners.

real hard to clip directly to hanger.

in summary: dinner plate fish dance dirt napper gear. fruit.gifpitty.gifwave.gif

Really Bombproof

:

really close together rolleyes.gif

only one anchor clipped.

shadetree welded ring bullshit.

virtually non serviceable biners.

real hard to clip directly to hanger.

in summary: dinner plate fish dance dirt napper gear. fruit.gifpitty.gifwave.gif

Those rings are rated to like 3400lbs - not too shabby.

Agree on the non-serviceable biner part

Best anchors out there are stainless fixe hangers with quicklinks into those really big links of chain - ala the stations on STP, upper walls, index

Anyone know where to find chain that big? gonna do some anchor replacement this summer...

But I will not argue with a structural engineer smirk.gif

Why not? Those guys are all fuckin' dumb! Give a man a fancy calculator and some spreadsheets and catalogs and he thinks he's hot shit on a stick ... fehhh.

yellowsleep.gif

Sounds like someone failed out of engineering school and holds a grudge... yelrotflmao.gif