Tick season in the Icicle

klenke

This morning I was shuffling about with my shirt off when I decided to scratch my right waist for no particular reason. My fingers touched what felt like a clump of crusty dirt. But it didn't fall away upon tactile impact, so I looked to see what it was. It was one of these young ladies (the one on the left; the male is the one on the right):

AmerDogTickPair.jpg

Fortunately, she only had the very tips of her mandibles in my skin, so I was able to remove her (with her legs flailing in disagreement) with a pair of scissors used in tweezer mode. I was at Icicle Creek yesterday, so she obviously glommed on to my sexy body then. Strange that she didn't burrow into me any farther than she did over the course of 12+ hours. Maybe the jelly-roll fat on my waist didn't taste too sweet.

At any rate, it's a sobering thought when you consider how they can expand during engorgement:

AmerDogTickGroup.jpg

For more info: http://www.tickinfo.com/americandogtick.htm

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been ticking at Squamish for weeks... with no parasites the_finger.gif

one time at Skaha I was taking my pants off at the end of the day and found a tick bushwacking through the tangled thicket of my pubes shocked.gif

dru,

that kind of tick is called a "crying tick".

I still have a tick head embedded in the back of my head. It continues to grow very slowly. It has been about 20 years now and I have become knd of attached to it. I am guessing that if I live another forty years it will be about the size of my nose and will make a great Halloween costume.

I was up there last spring when, unfortunately, the mounties were out. Two of them were riding up and down the icicle road (with helmets on) stopping at the roadside crags to tell the group leaders to instruct everyone to do a "tick check". I didn't know if they meant on one's self or if it was social grooming time.

I know, I was kidding. wink.gif The bite turned purple for a few days, but a little bit of research yeilded that it's a normal response to the western black legged tick bite.

Taken from this tick page I found:

Humans bitten by these ticks may notice intense inflammation at the site of the bite which may be slow to heal. These sores do not necessarily indicate pathogen transmission by the tick (ie: Lyme disease "bulls eye" rash), but are frequently an artifact of irritation due to tick salivary products injected into the bite site."

Ursa said to CBS: "I know, I was kidding." Well, you got catbird to bite. grin.gif

Last Saturday I was in the Icicle again (actually up by Pioneer Creek) and I saw another one of those buggers on my shirt sleeve so I flicked it off. You've got to watch out brushing against small bushes since that seems to be where they hang out waiting to hitch a ride on a meal wagon.

I thought we would be safe bivying next to the car at the snowline on Mountaineer Creek road last wknd... I slept in the middle of the road, far from the grass, but we found one in the car later, crawling up the wire for CD-adapter for the tape player. Must have hitched a ride on my sleeping bag or something, then hung out in the car for the day while we were out. eewwww!