iPod mini

gapertimmy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just ask jon, i've been a naysayer for so long, but seriously after owning various compact flash mp3 players, a mini disc, this is hands down the easiest to use, best quality sound etc. tunes are very important on trips/climbs imho.

i am a dirty yuppy i guess, i didn't shower this morning.

Comparitively speaking the iPods are cheaper then the other garbage out there for what you get. Look at all the other 4gig players, they are the same price and they suck. Put some good headphones on an iPod Josh, there is no comparison.

Comparitively speaking the iPods are cheaper then the other garbage out there for what you get. Look at all the other 4gig players, they are the same price and they suck. Put some good headphones on an iPod Josh, there is no comparison.

I did...one of my primary uses for my HD player was as an in-car player. This is why I chose the Creative. My roomie has an iPod (used for the same thing) and when amplified the iPod is inferior, plain and simple. Most people on online review sites tend to agree.

I paid $269 for my 40gb creative player. Not exactly priced too good, either.

My biggest beef is battery life w/ the hard drive based MP3 players. 10hrs just ain't enough -it's less than my total travel time on the trips I'm interested in bringing it along on. And the big spare battery packs just don't cut it. For size anything more than 10GB is more than I care about (I've less than 10GB of mp3's)

josh it's okay that you bough an inferrior HD player, its okay.... everything will be alright.

Different players for different uses. The creative was the only one that offered a removable li-ion, which was my selling point, I needed more than what the internal offered between charges. That and the sound quality is better when amplified.

If I could have gotten these features + the iPod's UI I would definitely take it, it's my hands down favorite in that department.

I paid $269 for my 40gb creative player. Not exactly priced too good, either.

My biggest beef is battery life w/ the hard drive based MP3 players. 10hrs just ain't enough -it's less than my total travel time on the trips I'm interested in bringing it along on. And the big spare battery packs just don't cut it. For size anything more than 10GB is more than I care about (I've less than 10GB of mp3's)

That battery life problem was a real surprise. I got a 10gb iPod for my wife in the fall, and it goes through a full charge in far less time than I'd have thought -- much quicker than a cassette Walkman with rechargeable batteries.

But the interface is fabulous, one of those instances where, after you look at it, you wonder why everyone doesn't do it that way. Compared to the Otis or Rio, which are almost unusable.

The iPods really do have the best interface. I wish another manufactuer would copy it and give us a reasonbly priced alternative. For sound quality tho, the Creative HD based players are still superior.
Funny the folks at Headroom Headphone (some serious headphone audio junkies there!) don't seem to think so. With or without a headphone amp, the iPod holds its own. It's all about the mp3 encode in the first place. I run the iPod with Beyerdynamic 250's and it sounds sweet.

The iPods really do have the best interface. I wish another manufactuer would copy it and give us a reasonbly priced alternative. For sound quality tho, the Creative HD based players are still superior.
Funny the folks at Headroom Headphone (some serious headphone audio junkies there!) don't seem to think so. With or without a headphone amp, the iPod holds its own. It's all about the mp3 encode in the first place. I run the iPod with Beyerdynamic 250's and it sounds sweet.

OK, fine, whatever. I hooked both the iPod and the Creative to my car's preamp in and tried them both. The iPod got to about 75% before it started to clip and get noticeable background noise. The creative could be played full volume (which lets the volume knob work on the same scale for the MP3s as with the tuner, etc.) without any distortion or hiss.

the iPod is great, it's among the best, but for the use I wanted, belive it or not, there are actually MP3 players out there better than the iPod. Additionally, as I said, I wanted a very large player and I wasn't ready to take out financing to get a 40gb iPod.