iPod mini

gapertimmy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, fine. A week ago I bought a 512MB CF from buy.com for $80 - $15 mail-in rebate for $65. So with this single piece of data, it's more like 1.65X instead of 2X. But there aren't any 1G SDs, whereas there are 1G and 2G CFs.

And CF doesn't have any Digital Rights Management bullshit. I don't want my money going to anything that supports DRM if I can help it.

I also like the idea of being able to nuke music on the spot from a flash card if I need extra space for pictures.

Or good Compact Flash wink.gif

Yeah the D70 is sweet. True 3 FPS with up to 40 picture buffer. I haven't done much scenery type stuff yet with it so I'm not sure how the colors are, but for sports action it has been sweet. I love my Canon G2 but there are obvious limitations. The only dilema with it, which is the same for most DSLRs is that the sensor is smaller than 35mm, so your regular SLR lenses are at 1.5x, which is a problem for wide angle, so a 17mm on a 35mm would be like a 24 or so on the digital. The camera is actually fairly light, battery life seems good, with a large card you can take a ton of pictures, overall I'm super stoked on it.

• 4 weeks later...

So for you other poor climbers out there I went to costco paid 89.00 for the Phillips Rush MP3 player. It comes with 128M built in and takes any and all SD cards. Uses the same AAA batt that my headlamp takes and same mem card that my camera takes. All this sound quality talk is cool if you're sitting in a perfectly tuned acoustic room not in a tent with headphones on. I'd rather spend 300 pesos on real gear. Interface is not perfect but if you spend an extra 5 minutes organizing your tunes at home you don't even really need it. That little AAA batt lasts forever too.

So for you other poor climbers out there I went to costco paid 89.00 for the Phillips Rush MP3 player. It comes with 128M built in and takes any and all SD cards. Uses the same AAA batt that my headlamp takes and same mem card that my camera takes. All this sound quality talk is cool if you're sitting in a perfectly tuned acoustic room not in a tent with headphones on. I'd rather spend 300 pesos on real gear. Interface is not perfect but if you spend an extra 5 minutes organizing your tunes at home you don't even really need it. That little AAA batt lasts forever too.

how much playtime does 128 hold?

Actually at 64K sample rate, the 128 holds about 115 3-4 minute songs. If I sampled at the best rate, about an album. But I really didn't notice that big of a difference on the trail or the climb. At home I noticed a slight difference. It sounded a little funky but when I got on the trail I didn't notice anything.