Climbing 3rd- Mattp

420yokum-med.jpg

Scenic 2nd place - Cluck again

336310_Walkin_on_Sunshine-med.JPG

Scenic 3rd place -MisterE again!

3712JTreeMist11.jpg

Big Winners were MisterE & Cluck

Biggest Winner: Mtngrrrrl with 2 1st places

Now please feel free to complain and whine about why your crappy photo didn't win, why the winning photos sucked, how the contest was rigged, how the general population wouldn't know what a good photo would be if it bit them in the ass, etc....

Thanks for playing, it was kinda sorta fun.

To be honest, I don't like the idea of the photo contest anymore. I like having lots of people post the photos in the orginal post. That was fun. I'm soo sick of looking at these photos.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

***I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO THIS**** but, Mr E check out this small Photoshop alter to your excellent photo (attached). I am sorry if this comes over as arrogant, because your photo is already really cool, but this might represent the scene as you saw it (since cameras have trouble picking up such levels of contrast).

314703-t.jpg.333079e872ce7d8805aeeb3ce8f34af7.jpg

There is absolutely no award that is as meaningful, to me, as that which is given by your peers.

Believe it or not, it means a great deal to me to have so many people see my photos at all, let alone vote for it. It was especially meaningful when the other photographers are as talented and the other photos as great as they were.

Thanks a lot for organizing the competition, Michael, wave.gifbigdrink.gif and thanks to everyone who posted their pictures and voted and made it fun. the_finger.gif

- goatboy

***I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO THIS**** but, Mr E check out this small Photoshop alter to your excellent photo (attached). I am sorry if this comes over as arrogant, because your photo is already really cool, but this might represent the scene as you saw it (since cameras have trouble picking up such levels of contrast).

That is better - I don't have photoshop cry.gif, but I'll check my crappy little program for contrast. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for all the votes!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Next time you see Todd at Feathered Friends, tell him you saw him in a photo contest.

See if he squirms hahaha.gif

[acceptance speech]

Thank you! Oh! Thank you! Wow, I'm so excited! Lets see, I'd like to thank my partner for taking these pictures. I'd like to thank all the other photographers for their contributions. And to the academy for their nomination. Also, I wanna give a shout out to my boyz in B-town. I love you guys!

Thank you, America. And goodnight!

[/speech]

Seriously though, it's pretty flattering gettin the silver medal and all. Thanks! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Hey goatboy--where was that pic taken?

Thanks for asking. I actually got a few PM's asking the same thing, so for the record:

The snow arete is on the South Ridge of Mt. Dixon in the Southern Alps of New Zealand, about this time last year.

It's a nice long, moderate New Zealand Grade 2+, which entails some glacier travel, a bergschrund crossing, about 5.7 rock climbing on pretty good rock (for New Zealand), a few hundred feet of steep snow and ice, and the long moderate snow arete seen in the picture.

As the photo shows, you get several thousand feet (at least) up off of the Grand Plateau glacier, with constant exposure and extremely aesthetic climbing.

The descent takes you down a long snow ridge/arete of gentler angle, almost as aesthetic as the ascent.

Highly recommended, though somewhat overshadowed by the hulking mass of Mt Cook nearby -- a bit like climbing something mild on Ingalls Peak and feeling insubstantial as you look up at the mass of Stuart nearby . . . the beer still tasted good back at the hut, I'll say that much at least. bigdrink.gif

start bitching! this is way to supportive for this website.

losers: speak up and complain!

I'll start. You suck for not picking my photos. End debate.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gif

I thought it was interesting that the bouldering pictures that won were scenic photos rather than actual bouldering pictures

thanks for the votes on my snowpatch spire pic! Now I'll have to spend my whole life trying to top it, a futile endeavor which can only end in misery. tongue.gif Great contest, great idea. Love the humor category winner.