TR: The Eiger Sanction

Blake

So I rented this old clint eastwood film, on the assumption that is has nice climbing scenes and a decent plot. Well, the plot consists of James Bond (played by Eastwood) running around banging female representatives of 1970s culture, and also killing a few folks who may or may not be bad. He is being ordered around by a mysterious assassination coordinator, played by W.C. Fields. After a failed attempt at the Eiger, everyone on the rope but Mr. Clint die from rockfall and overacting. Eventually he just kinda drives off with his cowboy friend who he might have been trying to kill.

And this is the best "climbing" movie ever? (Pre TTV)

Wow, maybe I'm just not getting something. confused.gif

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It surprises me that no one ever mentions Scream Of Stone as one of the better climbing films. After looking it up on the web today, it claims that the basic story writing credits go in part to Messner himself. Nonetheless, while somewhat cheesy, the climbing scenes on Cerro Torre are quite good. It was directed by Werner Herzog. His documentary Burden Of Dreams is also pretty interesting as well if you get the chance.

I'm with Bohanon on this one. Clint rockband.gif no matter what he's doing (except that POS Bridges of Madison County). thumbs_down.gif

Just hang on, my wife made me watch it with her when she was laid up sick a while back. Never woulda seen it meself. But ya know how that scores points to be redeemed later... smileysex5.gif

Yes it is! Fekking awesome pre 80's footage of Canyonlands and Zion! Including a "historic" ascent of the Totem pole and laden with awesome 70's nostalgia. Your missing the point blake...have you ever done the "cave route" in Zion? I think not. This film captures the essense of 70's climbing. PERIOD.

I think you would probably be bored, but for another reference to this period, check out Paul Padulas "El Capitan"

So I rented this old clint eastwood film, on the assumption that is has nice climbing scenes and a decent plot. Well, the plot consists of James Bond (played by Eastwood) running around banging female representatives of 1970s culture, and also killing a few folks who may or may not be bad. He is being ordered around by a mysterious assassination coordinator, played by W.C. Fields. After a failed attempt at the Eiger, everyone on the rope but Mr. Clint die from rockfall and overacting. Eventually he just kinda drives off with his cowboy friend who he might have been trying to kill.

You are seriously missing the point to that movie. It has EVERYTHING a real man could want. Clint eastwood killing folks, spies, masagony, climbing, beer, BOOBIES!

JESUS Horsecock CHRIST what's the matter with you.

I am going to have to revoke your Man Card. wazzup.gif

No, he was dangling by a cave, but his texas cowboy buddy who reminded me of John madden saved him, and Clint didn't kill him as kind of a thank you present.

Lsiten Michael, I thought the climbing scense were good. The fights and boobies.. well let's been honest, I've seen better on both counts.

...but his texas cowboy buddy who reminded me of John madden...

That would be George Kennedy

<snip> The fights and boobies.. well let's been honest, I've seen better on both counts.

Ohforchrissakes, it was the 70s! That was about all the censors would let you get away with back then. rolleyes.gif

Best quote of the movie:

(After the accident on the face, and Montaigne is already dead)

Clint: We're not gonna make it, are we?

Frietag: No, but we will continue in good style.

Classic line! thumbs_up.gif

Blake, RE: your original message: it couldn't have been W.C. Fields in The Eiger Sanction because he died in 1946, 29 years before the movie was made. I haven't seen the movie in a long time, so can't say who played that assassination coordinator.

Alan, RE: Herzog. Burden of Dreams is an excellent documentary as documentaries about moviemaking go. It's almost better than the movie it documents (Fitzcarraldo). Another surrealistic masterpiece from Herzog is Aguirre: The Wrath of God. Two other interesting Herzog movies worth a viewing:

Woyzeck (1978) -- Kinski as a whacked out peon soldier

Nosferatu: The Vampyre (1979) -- Comedy/Horror