Climbers and Intelligence

EWolfe

I have long suspected that committed climbers are a wicked smart bunch of people, and being a regular on this board has helped confirm my suspicions.

It seems that there are a combination of elements. The experiential intelligence finds seat in climbing, as well as the enjoyment and challenge of complexity and risk found in higher-thinkers.

How smart are climbers?

here's a test

How do you compare?

here's the chart

Discuss.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Tickle test came up some time ago and a bunch of people took it. Dru claimed some outrageously high score that few could believe. What was it Dru? I took the test a month ago and got a 133. Supposedly I did particularly well in geometric and spatial problems.

After the test was done they tried to sell me a special report for $15. What a surprise.

Yeah I read that second link concerning the use of IQ as a measure of intelligence. I think using IQ as the sole measure of intelligence is old school and unfairly categories a number of people as essentially worthless. I think the article mentioned that some people have such low IQ that they are permanent wards of the state, i.e., welfare whores.

A much better assessment was put forth by Martin Gardner who proposed the idea of the existence of multiple intelligences that can be broken down into: linguistic, logical-mathematical, musical, bodily-kinesthetic, spatial, interpersonal, and intrapersonal. A climber can have one or more of these separate types of intelligence, e.g., as seen on this board a particular climber may have bodily-kinesthetic, interpersonal, and spatial intelligence but he or she could be seriously lacking the linguistic.

howard gardner, multiple intelligences and education

Now, morality that's another story...

or else answer at random and see what you get.

Dude!! That's exactly how I took my SATs and ACTs!!! How did you guess? shocked.gif

I remember coming out of high school, I got accepted to Northwestern, Kansas, Illinois, CU and offered a partial scholarship to SW Missouri, yet I wasn't qualified for WWU hellno3d.gif...such high level of learning up there. I wound up transfering to WWU and I hated that school madgo_ron.gif. Didn't learn a god-damn thing except how to mtn bike on Galbraith.

I took 4 different tests (2 of them were very similar) this morning, you can maybe guess which was before the coffee:

Tickle 138, Danish one 112, Belarus one 146, British one 137.

Actually Dru, if you were an 18 year old and answered them all right, I believe you could score over 140. Age is factored in when computing the score.

Bronco,

That is freakin' amazing! That means you are especially good at taking internet IQ tests! Maybe you should get a job taking internet IQ tests. I hear there is big money in competitive internet IQ test taking.

Good deal! I just put in my two week notice so I can dedicate my career to taking internet IQ tests! grin.gif

Wait a minute, I just got my confirmation email and it said I only scored 21. I guess the only answer I got right was entering my email address correctly. Oh well, back to the grindstone. frown.gif