To my best friend Ben and those who knew him

AllYouCanEat

When I wrote this I didn't know what it meant. It has meaning for me now as I looked into the deep dark canyon hoping with all my heart that things had been different.

I gazed from rocky mountaintop

I saw all dreamy delusion stop

shatter my fragile tapestry to elope

In peaceful celebration of hope

Since I was 15, 10 years of adventure, 100-200+ days a year, Ben was there. A leader of a quality and genius that made him my hero, even a god. He possessed a drive that drove all those that knew him to the edge where with a smile, a laugh and a dry joke he would install confidence in the place of fear and doubt. THAT confidence was contagious! Other than my own twin, Ben knew me best. Remembering the future is harder than I ever imagined, remembering the past is a comfort. Ben died in his boat with his hands still on his paddle in the depths of the Olympic National Park on an icy ledge, deep in a breathtaking canyon.

Here is what happened in my brother's words for those who care and those who wish to know why. There are still why's, but this will shed light on a few.

Ben's dry humor kept us together and in good spirits all of the way through the Grand Canyon of the Elwha. As we entered Rica Canyon Ben cracked a joke saying it was no harder than the Tilton and made it sound as if he meant it was no harder than the Tilton. He made us believe it in a way only Ben could. He radiated a confidence that people believed in and followed.

… So we enter Rica Canyon going through our usual routine. We scouted, someone offered to go first and set up safety, and we watched. Justin went first, finding a place to place safety between two class V rapids. He ended up getting pretty worked. Ben decided to go second flipping at the bottom. He tried to roll several times (?) and was still trying as he drifted around the bend (still in a deep dark pool). Jon went next and aced it cruising around the bend in the cliff with the intent of helping Ben recover his gear. I went last, flipping once, but recovering. I came around the bend with a big grin ready to give Ben hell for pulling. He hadn't pulled in two years (and so continues his record). While Jon went for help (another story) Justin and I attempted to revive Ben. I thought I could revive him and jump up and say, "Got you!" Waist deep in Ice cold water for 45 minutes in the calm of nature's fury we tried and tried and tried, but no last joke. I declared my best friend dead and left. All I can say is that he died as he lived, doing what he loved. He would want it no other way. He was a friend to so many and will always be remembered. We can only hope for the same when our time comes.

We will dedicate www.cascadeclassics.org to him. As for his ashes, we will take those to the Hogsback where it all began. The funeral will be in Yakima, as for when is yet to be decided. Please if you can, create a forum where we can remember the fallen. An epitaph, a tombstone where others can leave some words for a friend. You could even link all his posts. Bottoms up for Benman who walked the edge with the best of people.

From Jason and Josh Hummel…

PS call the forum R.I.P

Edited by AllYouCanEat

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your kind words. I was too hurting to look to see if someone has said something already. http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=271256&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 Thanks for all your kind words. It is looking like Ben passed out. Wow! He held on to the last second. All I keep asking myself is why he didn't pull. We had safety. Less than 3 minutes he was out of his boat and CPR started. Damn!

AllYouCanEat said:

It is looking like Ben passed out. Wow! He held on to the last second. All I keep asking myself is why he didn't pull. We had safety. Less than 3 minutes he was out of his boat and CPR started. Damn!

I'm not a kayaker...but perhaps he slammed a rock underneath which knocked him out. From what I hear about Ben's strength and skill, I can't imagine he couldn't have bailed if he wa concious. Maybe it doesn't help to speculate....

As one who just lost a close friend to a watersport a few weeks ago, I can sympathize with you. There is nothing much in this world that feels worse. Take care,

Matt

I'm not a kayaker either...can you explain what you mean about "why he didn't pull" when you "had safety set up?" I'm curious about what all that means.

I didn't know Ben at all but I really enjoyed reading the trip reports from you, him and your whole crew. They were interesting and humorous and always highlighted the fact that you guys were just a group of good friend's always out having a good time. Despite the fact that he wasn't somebody I knew personally it really hits hards to have someone you know well by name pass from the community. frown.gif

Not a scratch on his helmet and plenty of water. We have footage from the trip. He was happy to the end and died with a smile on his face, I shit you not. It was always that way, we shivered in fear and he laughed because he was in his element. We always talked about consequence, but always took calculated risks. The website only had half our adventures. There were many failures.

I saw somewhere someone mentioned a tape. I remember ben talking about that. Go ahead and send to me 4010 N 26th street Tacoma WA 98407. I will see that it gets to his brother and family. Troy, Josh and I are going to North to clean his place out tomorrow.

Pull, wet exit, is when you leave your kayak and swim. Very dangerous in a class V canyon, but since safety was set up there was no reason not too. Ben didn't ever miss his roll, if he lost his paddle he could hand roll. Only a kayaker knows how exhausted you can get on the river. It is beyond anything I know of in other sports. The fear, the committment, the rush, the thrill and the cost and danger ... in your face. And pulling only takes a slight push, with hand on paddle, he never tried. That takes balls of steel. That is why I said he died like he lived...

Edited by AllYouCanEat

JoshK said:

I'm not a kayaker either...can you explain what you mean about "why he didn't pull" when you "had safety set up?" I'm curious about what all that means.

josh "pulling" is speakin in terms of pulling the spray skirt off and making a wet exit from the boat. the safety would typically be a boater or two positioned down rapid from the difficulties. this person would have a throw rope for the safety.

i do not boat for the exact reasons to which ben lost his life too.

sad for sure.