Question for everyone out there...

RuMR

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Barrister Momoh Sanni Momoh of Nigeria. Good day to you, I would here crave your distinguished indulgence. It is with my profound dignity that I write you. It is with deep sense of purpose and utmost sincerity that I write this letter to you knowing full well how you will feel as regards to receiving a mail from somebody you have not met or seen before. There is no need to fear, I got your address from a business directory which lends credence to my humble belief. I also assure you of my honesty and trustworthiness. Please send me all your cash.

This is most coincident yet fortuitous meeting, honorable Mr. Momoh sir. My esteemed father-in-law, the late Mr. Jonathan Gumbabi, former minister of defence in the nation of Guinea Bissau, recent was killed in a mysterious automobile accident. If I could request your bank account number and fax signature, I would be able to forward 8% of the 36 million dollars that my honorable father-in-law hid in his estate and which must be moved to a safe bank as soon as possible.

Awaiting your most kind reply,

Robert Dada

I guess it's about time for this topic to get thrown around again. Hey, I'm all for it if it means people divulging their true identities!

I think there are many reasons people here seem like assholes. First, it is difficult to consistently write posts in which you disagree with someone and never come off sounding like an asshole. This is especially difficult if you ever try to be funny or sarcastic. How many times have you had weird fights started with your friends over some offhand email comment? I mean, Rudy, you had a period there where everything you wrote was one-liner spray insults. I know you were probably just kidding, but how is anyone to know? Those little gremlins only go so far in terms of broadcasting true intentions. For good or bad, the predominant culture of this site seems to be "insult people". How do you expect this to continue and at the same time nobody getting their feelings hurt?

Of course the anonymity makes it easier to be insulting. I guess some people find fun in doing the anonymous insult game, but if you are doing this, you limiting the value of this site to yourself. I think the best part of this site is that it enables you to meet many like-minded climbing peoples. If you get too insulting, you can probably never "come out" and you sacrifice this benefit of meeting these people.

Also, it's not just the anonymity of the sprayer that might increase the viciousness, but also of the targets. I know I certainly worry more about offending avatars that I know in person than someone who I know is always gonna hide.

One final thing to remember: if you are trying to have your cake and eat it too, by having a known personality and an adjunct insulting one....the administrators and many of the moderators know who you are blush.gif. Don't do anything that you'll regret too much!

And just in case anybody doesn't know this yet, in the spirit of this thread, Al Pine is workday cover for chu cK. wave.gif

Al_Pine said:

I guess it's about time for this topic to get thrown around again. Hey, I'm all for it if it means people divulging their true identities!

I think there are many reasons people here seem like assholes. First, it is difficult to consistently write posts in which you disagree with someone and never come off sounding like an asshole. This is especially difficult if you ever try to be funny or sarcastic. How many times have you had weird fights started with your friends over some offhand email comment? I mean, Rudy, you had a period there where everything you wrote was one-liner spray insults. I know you were probably just kidding, but how is anyone to know? Those little gremlins only go so far in terms of broadcasting true intentions. For good or bad, the predominant culture of this site seems to be "insult people". How do you expect this to continue and at the same time nobody getting their feelings hurt?

Of course the anonymity makes it easier to be insulting. I guess some people find fun in doing the anonymous insult game, but if you are doing this, you limiting the value of this site to yourself. I think the best part of this site is that it enables you to meet many like-minded climbing peoples. If you get too insulting, you can probably never "come out" and you sacrifice this benefit of meeting these people.

Also, it's not just the anonymity of the sprayer that might increase the viciousness, but also of the targets. I know I certainly worry more about offending avatars that I know in person than someone who I know is always gonna hide.

One final thing to remember: if you are trying to have your cake and eat it too, by having a known personality and an adjunct insulting one....the administrators and many of the moderators know who you are blush.gif. Don't do anything that you'll regret too much!

And just in case anybody doesn't know this yet, in the spirit of this thread, Al Pine is workday cover for chu cK. wave.gif

Yes Chuck...its true...i initially posted many sarcastic one liners...But TRASK, of all people, called me on it...Pissed me off and i quit posting for quite some time...Upon reflection, i've cleaned up my attitude a bit and tried to clean up my posting as well...I think you've noticed that as well...

Further, upon discussing this w/ Peter Puget, we both agreed that some of the stuff posted would just be plain embarrassing if some of our significant others were to read it...or our bosses wink.gifsmirk.gif

So in summary, i think my initial post should've included the statement that "Think about what you post, would you say it in real life?"

adventuregal said:

I still haven't met you yet, Muffy!!! cry.gifwave.gif

I personally like a little bit of anonimity on the internet. Because I mean, really, who knows what kind of people are on the other end of the screen? I guess on a site like this, where many people know eachother in person, its not such a big deal. But I still try to keep the details of my real life to myself. Tho I always use my real name with PMs... so I suppose I am contradicting myself... Who knows?! cantfocus.gif

MAYBE some day we will meet laugh.gif

I try to behave on cc.com as I do in real life. I am who I am, and I think what I think. some people like that.. others don't. I have met some people from the site. Some I have met and do not know at allsome I have not met, and fell like I know very well.

I think this medium of communication leads to missunderstanding and arguments by its very nature. A well written response takes time and effort; most people don't have the time to do that.

I'm not sure what kind of folks you all climb with, but I've seen plenty of disfunctional behavior between climbers in real life. Which reminds me of a funny story I heard about 4 cc.com posters climbing at Index this last weekend... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

trask said:

I'm the same in person as online. I enjoy talking to people on the phone, but don't want to spend any up close and personal time with anybody...unless I'm drunk, and then I get ornery and fight. I'm just not a very nice person. Fuck off.

It is clear that you have somehow stumbled upon a lifestyle which allows you to stay out of prison, so I don't see any reason why you should change now. grin.gif