So we got something here

erik

so in the last week we here at cascadeclimbers.com have been blessed with the fine representation and a luck luster representation by two seperate climbing gear manufactures........

now here is what i find interesting.....

splitter gear....seemed quite unpleasent to deal with, he shared no way into which to contact him, he seemed abrasive about comments about his up and comming super extra gear...and seemed to base the greatness of his gear on a mag review, and unnamed well known climbers (how are they well known if we don't know their name?).....seems silly to me that a company who wants to break into a crowded market would act like this...maybe they are young, maybe they are passionate....i say whatever dude!!!!!

now we have omega pacific....people are attacking complany ethics and quality issues....the omega pacifc repersenitive replied and addressed all concerns clearly and most excellently with all the needed info to keep the masses content and reasoned....bravo!!!! now we can see why this company is successful and has a strong following locally and abroad...plus they are helping many troubled people in the process and help return their success to the community.....excellent job!!!!

what do you all think????

discuss....

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Splitter gear based in Boulder? I mean just that speaks for itself.

Splitter tude.. and Boulder tudeAll the mags are in Boulder and all the, "best," climbers live in Boulder. Why would we be interested in the opinion of people from some slug infested state like WA.

I think the market will teach them the error of their ways.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: AlpineK ]

quote:

All the mags are in Boulder and all the, "best," climbers live in Boulder. Why would we be interested in the opinion of people from some slug infested state like WA.

[laf][laf][laf] Yeah, it's pretty bad how Clinging and R&I focus on CO stuff. Slugs. I love slugs.

I think it most of the difference we've seen from these two companies reflect the age of the companies. OP is a much older (chronologically) and mature (strategy wise) company than spitter gear. So it shouldn't be much of a suprise that OP produces a much more eloquent and convincing reply than s.g.

Also, I suspect most people are more motivated by performance than "silly ethical issues".

I agree with Erik's assement....and AlpineK's somewhat joking view is right on too.

Like OP or not the guy waded into the fire and took on his detractors effectively. He stated clear and cogent reasoning for Omega's actions. What more could we ask for? No one from TNF ever posts here (substantivley anway).

Go Omega...and Allison I respectfully disagree with you. Where you stand depends on where you sit. I hear your stance and that is cool. But I'm going to continue to buy the stuff.

[big Drink]

Not all bad things come from Boulder- Hell, Bibler tents used to be made there.

Regarding OP's ethics, Me thinks they are probably in the middle somewhere of the business spectrum. They could have taken the manufacturing to Mexico (or offshore) and made a beener for $3.00 (OP of Mexico,Inc) whom then sold it to OP of Amerika, Inc for $6.00. OP Amerika,Inc sells it to you the consumer for $6.01 - OP Amerika then reports only $.01 profit to the IRS and essentially evades/avoids all taxes (this is known as transfer accounting). Almost all major corporation in Amerika have set ups like this (OP of Mexico, Inc's financial records would not be subject to review by the IRS) Toyota paid less than a million in US taxes last year. At least using slave labor keeps the value added manufacturing in the states

Its quit understandable that Brian from splitter gear will act the way he did after the warm welcome we gave him… grin.gif" border="0[laf] All that aside I think that manufactures that need to know the market pulse and should invest more of their time in forms like cascade climbers.com and less on giving some Jo gear to test and publish a bias review.In here is where the market is and in here is where opinion matter obviously it will be a majority decision on what works and what not and we can launch or destroy reputation of any manufacture or retailer. I think that slowly they started to realize it and pay more attention to the "word on the street" and the best thing of all it is free for them I just don’t see why they don't take full advantage on this post wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0[geek]

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]

Warm welcome or not man... The fact that he was refering to a mag artical wich stated no real facts is obserd. It is outragious that The editor of the mag would even allow the review with the clame of great climber who have no names, unless this was there own company mag... which would be kind of funny [laf] ... shameless prick... how dare he insult the good people of the NORTHwest with his poor business skills, and further more what is wrong with slug... I think they probably do more vertical climbing than any other creature of their stature... [geek]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BOOOOOO....BOOOOOOOOOO...BOOOOOOOOOOO... Splitter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MI IS NAS CEARTA AN DAMHAN_ALLAIDH AIR AM BALLA

Todd Bibler got his start here in Tacoma. He was a student at UPS and did some sewing on custom gear. He made really nice, lightweight alpine harnesses and his small two man tents. He sold them through Northwest Mtn. Supply in downtown Tac. He did all this without liability insurance! Whn the legal world started seeing climbing as an untapped source of $ he had to stop. Then Bibler moved to Boulder, started the business again, it flourished and was swallowed. At least that is how I recall one companies history...

I support convicts working and trying to legitimately re-enter society. I firmly believe there are too way many "convicts" doing time for victimless crime. Based on the excellent response from the OP rep, I am now more inclined than ever to buy their products. Just the fact he cared enuff to post here shows me they are a company that wants to be in touch with their customers. That's what good business is all about.

I must respectfully disagree with Air-ich. I just read through the splitter gear thread and I thought Brian-Boulder did a good job. His first reply was a bit awkward but after that he handled himself quite well given the situation.

I haven't read the OP thread since the OP rep replied. But, unless they were totally stupid, the OP peOPle would have obviously forseen that using prison labor would be a controversial course. Given that, it would be pretty stupid of them to proceed without having a smooth-talking mouthpiece who had as part or all of his/her job description the job of dealing with the public about these controversies. It is no surprise to me that this person handled himself well.