Plastic or rubber vs Gore tex

Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a campmor cagoule that has a huge hood. fits over a helmet no drama. but ive never seen any rubberized rainwear with pitzips. pitzips usually make sewing way more complicated so it would be pricey. helly hanson promotes the 'chimney effect' for their rubber gear where you just keep your collar open and the rainwear loose fitting. ya still get clammy at least.

My current theory is that if it is raining, and you aren't just sitting in camp, you will get wet no matter what you're wearing. This leads me to the painful conclusion that down has no place in clothing, though it might be acceptable in a bag. Flame on. bigdrink.gif

PS Caveman, try Sierra Designs, they seem to make some coated nylon jackets with vents.

Cpt.Caveman said:

I got a plastic or rubber jacket. It does not breathe like gore tex does not either.

I got it for free. I am pleased except that it doesnt have under arm zippers and the hood is small.

Where are the good jackets that are rubber or plastic that have these features?

you won't find bush raingear made of that fancy gore tex shit on a working man, its coated nylon with safety rel;ective strips the whole way.

the theory is - if you get wet with sweat, at least you stay warm. getting wet with rain makes you get cold. i have tested this theory and agree with it. coated nylon rocks for slow bush wacking and standing around holding a rod in a clearcut.

in the mountains? hellno3d.gif

Plastic rubber is the way to go, Ray. Pair it with the lightest windbreaker you can find, and you've got "Scottish goretex." Depending on where I'm gong, I use either the army surplus rubber with a buckle hood adjustment or a Columbia Sportswear (the latter is cheap and relatively light stuff from REI that won't stand up to serious bushwacking but it will hold out ANY kind of downpour). Most of the time, including even a wet Cascades snow/slop storm, I can get away with just the windbreaker if I've treated it with water repellent and the combo is both waterproof and breathable. Screw the pit zips - when you're getting the full-on car wash treatment you don't want 'em (if you REALLY want 'em, you could rip or cut the underarm seam and sew in a zipper -- I've done that in the past but I don't bother with it anymore).

Scotish goretex rox! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

(For just plain hiking, an umbrella is not a bad idea either.)

mattp said:(For just plain hiking, an umbrella is not a bad idea either.)

Umbrella's blow. If it's raining enough that I want rain protection - an umbrella doesn't do jack for me (it'll keep me dry to maybe my midtorso), unless it's one of those monster PGA specials that don't fit on trails. Of all the dumb Jardine pitched ideas that one's tops.

Coated Nylon is nice stuff though - but I don't know where you'd find stuff with pit zips. I've better luck opening chest pockets wide, and the unzipping the fly - seems to vent heat much quicker. YMMV.

cj001f said:

mattp said:(For just plain hiking, an umbrella is not a bad idea either.)

Umbrella's blow. If it's raining enough that I want rain protection - an umbrella doesn't do jack for me (it'll keep me dry to maybe my midtorso), unless it's one of those monster PGA specials that don't fit on trails. Of all the dumb Jardine pitched ideas that one's tops.

Coated Nylon is nice stuff though - but I don't know where you'd find stuff with pit zips. I've better luck opening chest pockets wide, and the unzipping the fly - seems to vent heat much quicker. YMMV.

that is the great thing you dont need pit zips cause it is so breathable...

mattp said:

I think you are the one with attention deficit here, CJF - I believe the comment about breathability was in reference to the use of an umbrella. Perhaps you twitch when holding the umbrella, too.

Now, now, Matt, let's keep the spray in Spray, or you'll get banned. evils3d.gif

mattp said:

Plastic rubber is the way to go, Ray. Pair it with the lightest windbreaker you can find, and you've got "Scottish goretex." Depending on where I'm gong, I use either the army surplus rubber with a buckle hood adjustment or a Columbia Sportswear (the latter is cheap and relatively light stuff from REI that won't stand up to serious bushwacking but it will hold out ANY kind of downpour). Most of the time, including even a wet Cascades snow/slop storm, I can get away with just the windbreaker if I've treated it with water repellent and the combo is both waterproof and breathable. Screw the pit zips - when you're getting the full-on car wash treatment you don't want 'em (if you REALLY want 'em, you could rip or cut the underarm seam and sew in a zipper -- I've done that in the past but I don't bother with it anymore).

Scotish goretex rox! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

(For just plain hiking, an umbrella is not a bad idea either.)

I thought all of this petroleum based stuff was too new school and poserish for you Perkins. I expected you to be scoffing at such things and touting the virtues of hides waterproofed with bearfat and beeswax!

mattp said:

I think you are the one with attention deficit here, CJF - I believe the comment about breathability was in reference to the use of an umbrella. Perhaps you twitch when holding the umbrella, too.

Silly me - I assumed a response featuring pitzips, to this line:

"Coated Nylon is nice stuff though - but I don't know where you'd find stuff with pit zips. I've better luck opening chest pockets wide, and the unzipping the fly - seems to vent heat much quicker. YMMV. "

Was talking about jackets. Unless of course your umbrellas have chest pockets. the_finger.gif

Sierra Designs makes some really nice coated nylon jackets/pants, from super simple anoraks to jackets with pockets hoods and pitzips. They go on sale every now and then for like $15-$20 a piece. I have a rain jacket that stuffs into its own pocket, to like 6"x2" and is always in my climbing bag. Seam taped nylon, keeps me bone dry unless the rain is blowing sideways, in which case I shouldn't be standing around outside waiting to get cold, lol. Goretex is nice because if you do get wet inside or you sweat, by the end of the day you will be a little dryer than you would be with the coated stuff. But it is expensive and heavy. I still have a GTX shell, but use it mostly for ice climbing and as foul weather gear on the sailboat.

I spent several winters in one Columbia heavy duty urethane rain coat working on rooftops every day. Worked pretty good for mainly stationary work. Combined with a wool shirt you'd stay pretty comfy in an all day 35 degree rain.

I prefer imitation Goretex stuff for climbing though, more flexible for making the occasional akward manuver, lighter weight usually and the designs fit a little better than the big old rain coat which would bunch up under a waist belt pretty good.

Oh yeah, it seems I heard from some Alaska guys that the rubber coated stuff tends to become brittle in cold weather, like sub zero, but, probably not going to be wearing it in those temps anyway.

wazzup.gif

Cpt.Caveman said:

Hey folks I never said anything about rainwear and pit zips and the quality of it keeping me dry.

My comments are shell vs gore-tex. If you have real input cool.

I got a plastic or rubber jacket. It does not breathe like gore tex does not either.

I got it for free. I am pleased except that it doesnt have under arm zippers and the hood is small.

Jopa said:

Cpt.Caveman said:

Hey folks I never said anything about rainwear and pit zips and the quality of it keeping me dry.

My comments are shell vs gore-tex. If you have real input cool.

Exactly part of the intent of my post. Mine was free too :-)

I will look at all the links next week that have been presented. At least if it less than 120$ I dont feel bad about tearing it up.

I have a 3 ply gore tex jacked Kichatna circa 1996 or something that is ok. I just dont believe gore-tex is for me.

Once I get rid of that then the only pieces of shit-tex I will own will be gaiters that are so suck and gloves. My gloves were free too though wazzup.gif

I have a coated urethane jacket made by mountain hardwear that has a generous hood, cipper front and button fly over the zipper. The buttons help me regulate body temp if its not dumping too bad but if I am moving at all I am gonna get wet no matter what.

I picked it up new for 30 skins.

Thanks David bigdrink.gif

I think I own one of those. If not something of the same price that I picked up. Mine is a little thin and not something I would prefer in winter snow. But we may be talking about something different too bigdrink.gif But what I have rocks for the price and is really wafer thin and only something I prefer to use in summer when I abuse my gear less. Like I said may be similar or different jacket. bigdrink.gif