Jury duty

dryad

Here's a question for the legal experts...

I just got a note calling me in for jury duty, and I would really rather not go. One of the requirements is "ability to communicate in the English language". Obviously this is aimed to keep out people who don't speak English, but would a speech impediment like a stutter also be enough to disqualify me?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got stuck in Jury Duty once in LA (Compton of all places, we sent the guy away on 2 count of attempted Murder, very interesting experience)

I would definitely think that you could get out of it. Most of the english is just listening, and understanding. But for the deliberating, I think with a good written statement, you can convince them that you would not be able to communicate well enough and you would be able to get out of it. Good luck!!

No.

The only real out is the hardship exemption, and that bar is set pretty high, but sufficinet whining about your 3 jobs and night school and blah blah blah may do the trick.

If you're in King County, you're looking at 2 days max, probably less than that, unless you get empaneled. If you want to be sure to not get selected in voir dire, just express a strong opinion and an inability to act impartially w/r/t whatever the case at hand is and you'll be sent home real quick like.

go. its your big chance to have a vote that will really get counted. or go and answer the questions the attorneys will give you in an obviously biased way.

one time i was called up i got a questionaire about what i thought of hispanics and drug dealers. wasnt too hard to figure out what they were driving at.

I wonder if trying to get out on the basis of a speech

impediment might backfire in that they wouldn't want to

appear as discriminatory. To take a more blatant example

I doubt they could get away with rejecting a person in a

wheelchair for jury duty because they failed to make the

courtroom accessible. I think catbirdseat might have

a point about the scientist thing though. Play up your

education, play down your mastery and facility with English

and spice it with a little bigotry. thumbs_up.gif

Ratboy said:

dryad said:I just got a note calling me in for jury duty, and I would really rather not go.

Serving on a jury when called is part of your civic duty, so serve already. Do you try to weasel out of voting too?

it is only a duty if she accepts it as such.

dryad said:

I just got a note calling me in for jury duty, and I would really rather not go. One of the requirements is "ability to communicate in the English language". Obviously this is aimed to keep out people who don't speak English, but would a speech impediment like a stutter also be enough to disqualify me?

You should just do it. It will be an interesting learning experience, and the court system relies on "piers" like you to make eveything work. Plus, I hear you get a $5.00 per day stipend for lunch!

specialed said:

dryad said:

You should just do it. It will be an interesting learning experience, and the court system relies on "piers" like you to make eveything work. Plus, I hear you get a $5.00 per day stipend for lunch!

Not only that, but you can get a bus pass!

I got called up once for jury duty and was dreading it. I showed up figuring I would try one of the suggestions people have used here to get out of it. Once we were in the jury room and got to hear the case (civil case: drunk driver who seriously injured some people) we'd be deciding on I was pretty interested. And a little bummed to not be selected.

A friend of mine was on a jury for a wrongful death case involving blatant neglect on the part of a doctor. He tried to get out of it based on his views of western medicine and blatant distrust of doctors. They put him on the jury anyways and the thought it was a great experience.

You might be surprised and enjoy the opportunity to actually have a positive impact on our sometimes f'ed up system.

During jury selection, it seemed as if you so much as opened your mouth when the lawyers asked a question to the jury as a whole, you were rejected. You return to the general pool if you are rejected, you don't just get the day off, I believe. The case in which I was a jury member did not last more than 1 day. I had a good time. Take a book.

Don't know how the jury duty process works in Seattle or Portland. In CA each county is different. In SF you have to be available to the "general pool" for a week I think. Dumb waste of time. In Marin, you go in and in one day you're either on a jury or out the door.

catbirdseat said:

It will only take a day of your time. As soon as they find out you are a scientist, the defense will use one of their peremptory challenges on you and you can go home.

I teach science and it was the DA that let me go. It was marijuana possesion case. DA asked if I knew anything about chemical analysis. I said yes. He said thank you, you may go.grin.gif Figured I'd know if the cops messed up on the analysis of the contraband. The amazing thing in this case was the suspect was in jail at the time for burglury when he got caught with the weed. yellaf.gif

Jopa said:

Ratboy said:

dryad said:I just got a note calling me in for jury duty, and I would really rather not go.

Serving on a jury when called is part of your civic duty, so serve already. Do you try to weasel out of voting too?

It's a civic duty whether she accepts it or not. I expect you're the sort of guy who bitches about the results juries return, but are too important to pull your part of the load?

There are plenty of ways of getting out of jury duty (saying your name is Trask, claiming you've got a sick kid or plane tickets, just not showing up) but without a willing jury pool, there's no justice. Everyone I know who's sat on a jury has come back really glad they had the experience. (I've been called but never chosen.)

Alpine_Tom said:

Jopa said:

Ratboy said:

It's a civic duty whether she accepts it or not. I expect you're the sort of guy who bitches about the results juries return, but are too important to pull your part of the load?

There are plenty of ways of getting out of jury duty (saying your name is Trask, claiming you've got a sick kid or plane tickets, just not showing up) but without a willing jury pool, there's no justice. Everyone I know who's sat on a jury has come back really glad they had the experience. (I've been called but never chosen.)

No, I am not that sort of person. I am the sort of person who believes in choice. I am also the sort of person who personally believes that I have no right to cast judgement on my peers, regardless of their act. This is my choice. Civic "duty" is also a choice.

fruit.gif