New UW Indoor Climbing Center

Fromage

The new wall at UW is opening Monday, and while it is pretty cool it is only going to be available for UW students, staff, faculty, etc. It is a great facility. The university spent over half a million dollars on the place, which strikes me as a bit odd since so many people are angry about rising tuition rates. The whole place was designed and made by EntrePrises, and the surfaces are really nice. There are tons of features and some good cracks, this is the closest thing to real rock I have ever seen in a gym. If you are a student or can somehow pass yourself off as a student, this place is worth checking out. The floor space is maybe half the size of the west room at Stone Gardens, but the walls are taller. Quarterly memberships are going to be around $40 ($4/week!) and day passes are $3. The director has some cool ideas for the place, so climbers at Western and other schools with climbing programs, keep your ears open!

cheeburga_ron.gif

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

entre prise holds suck though.....they have them up here at western, and while the features are pretty cool the holds are lame.

toss them and put in a huge order from pusher!

also you have to pay for it!? that sucks! And check out the hours, only 4-10pm weekdays and 1-5 on the weekends. ouch!

cracked said:

The entire paying deal is annoying. The IMA is supposed to be an affordable resource for students and faculty. You don't have to pay extra for any other activity there. wazzup.gif Either way, it's a moot point, I've already got my season pass to SG. bigdrink.gif

Wrongo. You's gots to shell out some extra ducets for da kayaking shizzle.

Alpinfox said:

cracked said:

The entire paying deal is annoying. The IMA is supposed to be an affordable resource for students and faculty. You don't have to pay extra for any other activity there. wazzup.gif Either way, it's a moot point, I've already got my season pass to SG. bigdrink.gif

Whatever. I don't kayak. grin.gif

icegirl said:

I'm not clear on the paying thing. Is that above and beyond the $$ we already pay to be a member there? If it's not, then it's a great deal, Annual membership is like 100 bucks. If so, then yeah, that sucks.

Yes, I believe it's an additional 40 bucks/term.

There was an article in the NY Times a couple of weeks back about how colleges are spending more and more on amenities like climbing walls and expensive gyms. WSU was mentioned in particular, as well as other schools back east and in Texas. It was portrayed as another aspect of the "academic arms race" to get desirable students, but the extra cost of these amenities that few will actually use raises the cost of the education for everyone.

I for one don't see a problem with them charging a few $$ for use of the facility. If nothing else, it'd keep the place from being overrun with people just screwing around.

cracked said:

icegirl said:

I'm not clear on the paying thing. Is that above and beyond the $$ we already pay to be a member there? If it's not, then it's a great deal, Annual membership is like 100 bucks. If so, then yeah, that sucks.

Yes, I believe it's an additional 40 bucks/term.

Yeah, what's up with that? People who want to use a specialized facility actually have to pay for it? Where is the fairness in that? wazzup.gif

I, like so many of my fellow Washington voters, demand a high level of services but am unwilling to defray their cost by paying a small fee. In fact, I think I will call Tim Eyman to get him to sponsor an initiative to force the UW Board of Regents to roll back the $40 quarterly membership at the IMA rock gym.

While I'm out collecting signatures you cranky complainers can go take a course in economics. I can recommend some profs at the UW for you.

yelrotflmao.gif

Alpine_Tom said:

There was an article in the NY Times a couple of weeks back about how colleges are spending more and more on amenities like climbing walls and expensive gyms. WSU was mentioned in particular, as well as other schools back east and in Texas. It was portrayed as another aspect of the "academic arms race" to get desirable students, but the extra cost of these amenities that few will actually use raises the cost of the education for everyone.

I for one don't see a problem with them charging a few $$ for use of the facility. If nothing else, it'd keep the place from being overrun with people just screwing around.

Beats using the money to pay for a gambling football coach and a drunk university president...

Where is this gym anyway? I am a measely evening student who knows where very little is on campus, but I might have some time before classes to stop by and check it out.

Otherwise, SG will do for me through the winter until it warms up and dries out.

Also, people complain about the tuition rates rising, but the good teachers keep leaving since they are not gettting paid enough. I think people need to make the choice, do they want to have a second rate university with ok to poor teachers, but have it be really cheap (sounds like a community college to me) or have good to great teachers and pay a little bit more. That's what those college loans are for.

• 1 month later...

this place was pretty fun... good route setters make a big difference, regardless of quality of holds, plus i ain't no student, and the girls i encountered at the main entrance, and the wall itself were very friendly and stoked me out, i'll be back for those long cracks thumbs_up.gif looks fun, and the texture is cool. nice scenery around there too wink.gif-k

• 2 months later...
cracked said:

Thats the kayaking club, run by students, not the IMA if I recall correctly. Also, alot of the IMA stuff is payed for by revenue generated by the athletic department.