Cheap single-wall tent

dryad

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine owns one (Tony B, not a cc.comer) and we use it all the time. It is pretty nice for the price. Condensation is an issue sometimes (more like a lot of the time), especially when you have to shut the door/vestible. I don't like wet walls so I sometimes carry my double wall tent and suck up the pound of extra weight. It is light though.

Yeah, I dont think a poor man's bibler is a fair comparison either. I tried using a cheap single wall tent once, probably made out of very similar stuff. The condensation was awful. To save a few bucks, look at integral designs too. A bit cheaper than biblers and basically identical. Still very expensive, however.

ID Svarsky guides siltarp, sleeps 1-3 depending on comfort, 13 ounces. two peak tunnel vents. i'll sleep in it in the winter, but not much above treeline. Wintertime, I've dug it in a bit, set it up on skis, and had a standup shelter for two in no time. SHWEET!

For that, there are a few four season tunnel tents that weigh under six pounds, thats three pounds a person for shelter. Respectable for Denali or Rainier mid winter.

Single wall, non breathable tents will be quite damp, but if you get one, get the classic x-style frame, this will at least be strong for snow loads. Eureka makes some affordable lightweight DOUBLE wall x- tents. the four season hoop tents are still relatively expensive but very bomber if pitched correctly.

or you could always go with the 2.2 pound betamid, a very stout single wall "tent"

hope this helps

I've got a Eureka one person tent. It's not the Zeus, I thnk it's the model previous. Anyway - I felt like I got what I paid for (not much) but I've got a nice bag and the tent keeps the weather off of me. I did immediately replace the pegs - cheap, heavy and steel. All in all I think it beats the pants off a bivy sack and doesn't weigh nearly as much as my Marmot Rapeed.

I've gotta say, I'm looking seriously at the BD betamid.

There's a lot of new stuff coming out tentwise this coming spring. Now is a good time for closeout, but this spring there's going to be a lot of neat and cool stuff to choose from, and not all of it is stratospherically $$$. There seems to be a new wave of fabric improvements in tent world this year. thumbs_up.gif

good point, allison.

look at black diamonds new updates of several bibler styles with silcoat floors and epic canopies, designed for three season use, at about a third less cost of the bibler tents. and lighhter weight.

there are also new single wall tents and bivies being made with air permeable goretex. completely sealable and will not suffocate the occupants.

Event is lighter than gore or toddtex. reason for that, maybe someone else would like to comment on that.

Mountain hardware is bringing into the market new WB single wall tents made with welded seams.

none of these are going to be inexpensive tents. an inexpensive single wall tent like the zues exo and several other versions like it (mountain hardware, wenzel, Marmot) have some place in the mountain environment, but not much.

It depends on where Dryad wants to use it?

I'd also encourage dryad to think about some non traditional single wall shelters (or trad, depending on how you look at them)

there are relatively lightweight double wall tunnel tents from hilleberg and exped, and some older models still available, that are lightweight and will provide solid four season protection. also, double wall x-frame tents from several manufacturers that are light and could go to Denali or a ski trip to the Himal.

My 2 cents, dryad. And i still owe you that chocolate malt. Or mexican at that cool restaurant? we can talk lightweight tents...

Oh, ya, forgot to mention those guys. makes his tents in both single wall and double wall options, but the vestibule options are kind of wacky. Still, extremely stout, light tents.

Amberbuxom, you aren't Laura from the old warmlite catalogs, are you?

MMMN, Laura, what a great aspect of the seventies- Where is Laura now?

cracked said:

It might, silnylon is slick as shit.

That, my friend, is the understatement of the century.

I have a little tent made of the stuff, and while I like it, I am glad it is not my only tent.

The EPIC stuff is still untested in the Pacific NorthWET, and there are concerns that it might be a little too breathable. If it were me, I'd wait until the jury is out on whether this fabric is going to work here or be more like a gigantic sieve. The stuff works great for clothes, but the tent thing presents potential problems.

That said, if it works here, it's going to be ultra cool beans.

The new MSR tents are also going to be groovy, and Big Agnes has some more traditional-type tent designs coming out in SilNylon. Plus the MHW tents MB mentioned, and REI Brand has something new that is going to be an instant classic.

Yep, lotsa cool tents coming soon.

sometimes the simpler the better, dryad.

almost all of northwest mountain trips, weather in summer or winter, you can get away carrying a tarp or tarp type shelter and have roomy, well ventilated, inexpensive shelter that are usually a lot more comfortable than any tent. The only exception would be on one of the volcanoes mid winter on a climb. All of the lesser cascade peaks you can bag from a tarp or a trench 12 months a year.

from Jim Nelson's site, subheaded "extreme climbing 101" Jim writes...

"Learning to sleep out in a hostile environment with a minimum of equipment is a prerequisite for successful multi–day alpine climbing. Sport alpinists, light packers, adventure racers, and scramblers also benefit from practicing age–old techniques utilizing simple bivy sacs and tarps. Using these primitive shelters combines creativity, awareness of your environment, and the latest lightweight fabrics. The results are greater Comfort, Safety, and Enjoyment.

Larger and colder mountains will usually require the use of a small, lightweight Assault Tent."

Word, Jim.

there are great options and ways to go out there- and sometimes incredibly inexpensive! I found a siltarp for five bucks at a rummage sale once...