catbirdseat

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg_W said:

erik said:

i didnt know yosemite had grizzlies??

Well, bears period and a ban on guns which is bullshit.

Yeah--bear maulings happen all the time in Yos. Whats with all the paranoia?

An aquaintance just forwarded to me an account of a bear mauling in Glacier that was thwarted with pepper mace.

After spending a lovely night on top of HD with my girlfriend, we moved camp down into the upper valley where all the campsites were full. We mosied on downstream, across the creek and up the hill a ways where we tied our food up in a tree ( I know all the tricks. unfortunately, I did not bring any cable). As night neared the bear gathered. We would see one here then one there and pretty soon, after dark, a random sweep with the flashlight revealed six bears within rock throwing distance. When I heard them climbing my tree, I flashed a lite over at them and there were three bears in the tree with one just getting out to the end of the branch that really should have broken. As he fell, he caught the bag and carried it to the ground. Everybody gathered round as he flung it back and forth distributing the wealth. Debbie was freaked having never camped out before. She didn't sleep much. Yogi didn't get any. frown.gif

catbirdseat said:

Hello, this mauling occurred in Alaska where the brown bears, which I referred to as grizzlies, are definitely NOT afraid of people. These are a different animal than the grizzly found in the lower 48.

No, they're not. I've heard stories of agressive browns, and seen agressive/possibly agressive blacks down here.

These are a different animal than the grizzly found in the lower 48.

Girzzly bears and Brown bears, from a gene perspective, are the exact same animal. However, brown bears as they are called, are larger becuase their diet consists mainly of salmon during the spring. The Brown bears, typically living within 100 miles of anadromous fish habitat, are many 100 lbs. larger than grizzlies of say the Rockies that feast on nuts and berries and an occasional elk.

As a side note, only reason to carry a gun anywhere in a national park is to compensate for your small penis. Guns are for hunting, that is it.

Of the Ursus Mark VI Testing:

Truck: 18 collisions with a three-tonne truck travelling at 50 kilometres an hour (30 m.p.h)

Rifle: Shot at with 12 gauge shotgun, using “Sabot” slugs

Arrows: Armour-piercing arrows, fired from 45 kilogram (100 lb.) bow

Tree Trunk: Two collisions with a 136 kilgram (300 lb.) tree from a height of 9 metres (30 ft.)

Bikers: Assault by three bikers — the largest, 2.05 metres (6 ft. 9 in.) tall, weighing 1 75 kilograms (385 lbs.). Biker armaments: splitting ax, planks, baseball bat.

Escarpment: Jumped off escarpment, falling over 15.25 metres (over 150 ft.)

Ursus Mark VII Test Video

ryland_moore said:However, brown bears as they are called, are larger becuase their diet consists mainly of salmon during the spring. The Brown bears, typically living within 100 miles of anadromous fish habitat, are many 100 lbs. larger than grizzlies of

There is some supposition that teh Grizzly bears of California, when in existence, may have approached Alaskan bears in size - having access to truly massive quantities of anadromous fish, and no appreciable winter.

The south border to Glacier Park is a highway. The griz cross it at will. A grizz encounter/attack in Glacier is not all that uncommon. They are practically unheard of south of the highway (this area includes the Great Bear, Bob Marshall, scapegoat and Misson Mountain wilderness areas). Collared bears have gone back and forth across the highway as seasonal foods require. So it is well documented that the same bears that attack people, or allow people to get close in the park, have no such carelessness outside the park. The only difference to the bears is which side of the border people carry guns. They are not so dumb. If we, or someone, hunted them the way they are hunted outside the park, I think we would have a lot fewer encounters.

I stopped playing in the park after I met a couple going into Harris lake as I was leaving. He was killed. She was ripped up pretty good. I missed that bear by pure luck. If I went back into the park, I would carry a big friggin gun and I would not hesitate to use it. Backpacking in Glacier is like walking thru the central district with a kilo of coke over your shoulder.

Greg,

Coastal Alaska might be different. However, down here, I am perfectly comfortable going to either Yosemite or Yellowstone without a gun -- and I don't feel the need to carry a gun when I go visit my sister who lives in the central district on a Saturday night. Us liberals are badass.

mattp said:

Greg,

Coastal Alaska might be different. However, down here, I am perfectly comfortable going to either Yosemite or Yellowstone without a gun -- and I don't feel the need to carry a gun when I go visit my sister who lives in the central district on a Saturday night. Us liberals are badass.

evils3d.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

mattp said:

Greg,

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif