Hero Worship

wayne

My $.02

Having heroes and role models is important in our lives

We are all only human and made from the same nature

Humans are flawed and will dissapoint you.

Dont put anyone above or below you and things will be just fine

Worship means over the top

Move this to spray if you think it belongs there

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wayne1112 said:

My $.02

interesrting topic. But I firmly disagree. There are people who are better than others. And they desurve to be admired for their skill, acomlishments, hard work or what have you. Granted this does not make any person perfect. and said person my commit a crime, or cheet on their spouse or whatever... but they still have that skill or talent. Not every person who writes will be a Shakespear, not every person who thinks is an Einstien. not every woman who climbs will become as acomplished as Lynn Hill or Steph Davis. That does not mean that we can not love what we do, it just means that there are those that truely are head and shoulders above the rest. If we do not recognize that we lower standerds to the lowest commen denominaterm, and actualy lower our capacity for sucess as humans.

my .02$

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

wayne1112 said:

My $.02

interesrting topic. But I firmly disagree. There are people who are better than others. And they desurve to be admired for their skill, acomlishments, hard work or what have you. Granted this does not make any person perfect. and said person my commit a crime, or cheet on their spouse or whatever... but they still have that skill or talent. Not every person who writes will be a Shakespear, not every person who thinks is an Einstien. not every woman who climbs will become as acomplished as Lynn Hill or Steph Davis. That does not mean that we can not love what we do, it just means that there are those that truely are head and shoulders above the rest. If we do not recognize that we lower standerds to the lowest commen denominaterm, and actualy lower our capacity for sucess as humans.

my .02$

Um, Muffy, I hate to break it to you, but you're agreeing with Wayne. Recognise and admire those at the top, but don't worship them. They are but people, not gods. thumbs_up.gif

blush.gif could be, I have a tendency to violenty agree sometimes. I get so busy talking I stop listening yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif I guess mu POINT is that there are people ABOVE AND BELOW YOU. "there is always some one better than you and there is always some one worse"-Jeff S.( a very dear old firend) Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

Thrashador said:

I very much want to visit the UW library and view the archive of his [Dwight Watson's] film work.

The UW library has his still photographs. The Mountaineers have his movies. You're probably aware that the UW has created a web page showcasing his stills:

http://content.lib.washington.edu/Watsonweb/

This is a recent development. That page did not exist when I reviewed his materials a couple years ago. The Watson collection is in a number of boxes and folders. It is not the tidy display you might expect, based on the UW's fine web page.

Getting back to the topic of this thread--yes, Dwight Watson has become a "hero" for me.

Alex said:

Lowell_Skoog said:

"Say little, serve all, pass on. This is true greatness, to serve unnoticed and work unseen."

This is very similar to one of the main themes of the Tao Teh Ching

You're right. I hadn't thought about it in those terms. Dwight Watson was a very religious man. He was a Christian, not a Taoist. His beliefs and attitudes flowed from that. Mountain trips, photography and filmmaking were his way of celebrating "God's creation." I don't share many of his spiritual beliefs, but I admire him as a man who was true to the ideals of the religion he followed.

wayne1112 said:

incomprehensible. wtf is 'the same nature'? how come statement 1 is contradicted by statement 4?

lummox said:

wayne1112 said:

incomprehensible. wtf is 'the same nature'? how come statement 1 is contradicted by statement 4?

Now THAT is sounding like Taoism grin.gif

lummox said:

wayne1112 said:

Dont you think it is possible to have a hero that you dont place above yourself?

The nature comment meant skin and bones

Lowell, thanks for a great link. I might have thought I knew the names of all the important historical mountaineering types, but sure enough here comes another. It seems there is no end of interesting historical personages in this state! Viewing photos like Watson's are a great way to time travel to the wilderness of Washington past.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting how one word is actually two in CC.com world.

My heroes have usually been imaginary people like Dr. Jones, and Luke Skywalker but I have to say Lance Armstrong is someone I really admire for his poise, work ethic, and inner drive. I try use others accomplishments to motivate me to exhibit those qualities in activities in which I pursue.

wayne1112 said:

lummox said:

wayne1112 said:

Dont you think it is possible to have a hero that you dont place above yourself?

The nature comment meant skin and bones

I think so. Just because someone is better at something does not mean that you are invalid as a person. I have many HEROS, one of wich is my best friend.