NEW CAR!

EWolfe

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAD THING ABOUT HYBRIDS IS THAT THEY ARE PROLLY MORE OF A SPOILER FOR ALTERNATIVE FUELS SOURCE VEHICLES. COMPANIES SPENDING ALL THE R&D INTO A PATCH TO THE ISSUE OF RENEWABLE RESOURCES. THESE SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA NOW, BUT IN THE LONG RUN THEY WILL NOT BE WORTH THE MONEY. THEY WILL BE EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR AND ONE DAY BE THE ONLY FOSSILL FUEL POLLUTING VEHICLE ON THE ROAD.

EITHER WAY, MISTERE.....

VVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM

chucK said:

Hey MisterE, Cool car! Do you still get a tax writeoff for it? I remember hearing that they were letting people write off a couple of grand for buying alternative vehicles, but only for a couple of years.

Oh yeah, and where'd you get it, and what's it cost?

Yeah, we got the tax break - they are around 22k, and we got it at the dealership in Mt Vernon (taxes are less up there)

Muffy, the rear seat folds down into somewhat of a bed (with the hatchback), so there is still places to crash on roadtrips.

An interesting sidenote: can't put racks on them due to the balance of airflow and power.

erik said:

SAD THING ABOUT HYBRIDS IS THAT THEY ARE PROLLY MORE OF A SPOILER FOR ALTERNATIVE FUELS SOURCE VEHICLES. COMPANIES SPENDING ALL THE R&D INTO A PATCH TO THE ISSUE OF RENEWABLE RESOURCES. THESE SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA NOW, BUT IN THE LONG RUN THEY WILL NOT BE WORTH THE MONEY. THEY WILL BE EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR AND ONE DAY BE THE ONLY FOSSILL FUEL POLLUTING VEHICLE ON THE ROAD.

By the time this one wears out, they should have the fuel cell technology pretty dialed - BMW is already pushing the idea...

I think this does nothing to spoil fuel cell technology. It should probably be used in conjunction with it. Why wouldn't you want to transfer the breaking energy back into usable energy? There will still be a need for fuel efficiency even though the source will be clean burning.

MisterE said:

erik said:

By the time this one wears out, they should have the fuel cell technology pretty dialed - BMW is already pushing the idea...

GENERAL MOTORS IS ACTUALLY THE LEADING MAJOR CAN MANUFACTURE LEADING THE CHARGE. THEY HAVE ALREADY BUILT PROTOTYPE CARS AND FUEL CELLS.

Its all DaimlerChrysler.

I remember GM was gonna come out with a fuell cell minivan. They were gonna call it the IMPACT. I wonder what the crash safety rating on that one woulda been.

That's right up there with selling Chevy Nova in South America (No va = "won't go" in pidgin Spanish or Portuguese or somethin') on marketing-doesnt-get-it all time screwups.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

true.. but where are you going to sleep??? stash your gear? pick up hitch hikers??? C'mon dude... that is a mini car wink.gif

Actually I've looked at that car on a web page, and if you believe the specs the new Prius is much bigger and more fuel efficient than the old one. One person could sleep in it (or 2 friendly people)

There's been a lot of new research just out that makes the whole fuel cell thing look like it's a lot further away from reality than folks were talking about last year. It sounds like Hybrids will be arround for a while.

I hear folks are working on a big hybrid diesel truck. fruit.gifthumbs_up.gif

MisterE said:

Gets 60 MPG

They borrowed some technology from big mining trucks that use the braking power to charge the batteries, pretty cool.

The regenerative braking technology has been around for a long time, thats nothing new. I don't understand why more people don't buy the TDI VW's? They are so much more practical. A Co-worker drove his TDI from Seattle to Denver and got 57mpg averaging 78mph. Cost is less and you get more car for the money, can put a roof rack on and if you get the Jetta station wagon, a place to sleep.

Does this car have a crap load of earth unfriendly batteries? The TDI's only need a battery to start the car and get about the same gas milage....

mr.radon said:

MisterE said:

Gets 60 MPG

They borrowed some technology from big mining trucks that use the braking power to charge the batteries, pretty cool.

The regenerative braking technology has been around for a long time, thats nothing new. I don't understand why more people don't buy the TDI VW's? They are so much more practical. A Co-worker drove his TDI from Seattle to Denver and got 57mpg averaging 78mph. Cost is less and you get more car for the money, can put a roof rack on and if you get the Jetta station wagon, a place to sleep.

Does this car have a crap load of earth unfriendly batteries? The TDI's only need a battery to start the car and get about the same gas milage....

thumbs_up.gif

erik said:

mr.radon said:

MisterE said:

Gets 60 MPG

thumbs_up.gif

msrp?

Sphinx said:

Fuel cells still need fuel. Where's all the hydrogen going to come from, smart guys? rolleyes.gif

BIOMASS

the latest scientific american reports they just developed a new catalyst for removing hydrogen from plant waste such as corn husks and ethanol

what a waste of ethanol though! bigdrink.gif