dogs in joshua tree?

todd

does anybody know what the deal is with bringing a dog to joshua tree? i know that you can bring a dog into the park, but the website says they are forbidden on trails. if anyone has brought a dog to the park, please let me know how it went. did you bring your dog on trails? did you get hasseled for it? thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny. I've had the same question, because my girlfriend is going down there in March and needs to know if she can take her dog or not. We concluded that since its a National Park they're probably pretty uptight and it would be a bad idea. But I haven't heard anything firsthand. Perhaps someone can enlighten us?

I haven't seen much of a ranger presence at JTree, even at the main campground, so I kinda doubt there is much of a problem. But then, I'm not a dog owner so haven't had to deal with the issue close-up. I must say I haven't seen any dogs there except the ones kept in the tourists' rental cars...

thanks for the info everyone - that is kinda what i was guessing based what i saw on previous trips, just wanted to see if anyone who had actually brought a dog had problems. and i agree with you erik, but the thing is that its not my dog - its my friends dog and he is pretty set on bringing her. cheers.

quote:

Originally posted by todd:
thanks for the info everyone - that is kinda what i was guessing based what i saw on previous trips, just wanted to see if anyone who had actually brought a dog had problems. and i agree with you erik, but the thing is that its not my dog - its my friends dog and he is pretty set on bringing her. cheers.

least you will have a bivi mate eh todd!!!!!

Todd -- just thought of an actual experience. When we did the Overhang on Intersection, we noticed there was a leashed dog at the base of OH Bypass. We didn't sense the owners were on the lookout for the heat.

I agree somewhat with the guys quoting the rules on dogs in NParks, but I also like dogs, so... I understand your position. It IS kind of a drag when your dog tears off into the underbrush after a rabbit and even more of a drag when it ends up with cholla spines in its pads. But many dogs do stay very close to their owner, even unleashed.

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:
I think it's a blanket rule in ALL national parks that prohibits pets in ANY backcountry- pets on leashes in parking areas only

You got a leash for Teddy, beck? Only you don't call it a leash, you call it a Gimp Holder, right...

My good friend and climbing partner always took his dog there, until one weekend the Rangers went out on patrol and were giving anyone and everyone a ticket for having their dogs beyond the trails. Asking the ranger for some clarification, he basically said that dogs are ok on the leash on all park trails close to the roads, such as the real hidden valley trail. Dogs are not allowed at all in the designated wilderness areas, which is pretty much everything else. Been back many a time with dogs and just stayed far enough away from the roads that it has not been an issue. So you can take your dog, and make sure that when you get out of your car, that no rangers are around and you should be fine. But if smokey is watchin' and feelin' mean, you may end up with a ticket...

Hope this helps..

quote:

Originally posted by bobinc:
I haven't seen much of a ranger presence at JTree,

For what it's worth...In the eighties I was hasseled & ticketed by the man in JT several times for (IMO) minor infractions and slight deviations. That being said enforcment seemed sporadic. Maybe they just do occasional sweeps and have quotas and maybe it is looser now. Yeah right!

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]

quote:

Originally posted by kevin page:
One thing I've noticed about dogs in JT is the way they attract coyotes to your campsite. It seems like they try to seduce dogs into coming out into the desert at night, where they are gang raped, ripped to shreds and eaten. Better just leave fifi at home.

I noticed that leaving pots and pans out at night also brings in the coyotes, while having a campfire keeps them away. So what would happen if you barbequed a dog on the campfire?

shocked.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0

IMO, it is really a pain in the ass to have a dog with you down there, unless you don't mind being cruel to your pet by keeping it couped up over half the time in your rig. I don't know how they used to be in the past, but when I was there in December it seemed clear to us that the tools were beginnig to crack down on all sorts of things, including dogs off leashes, slack-lines set up between trees, and extended stays in the campground. Several friends of mine were hasseled and in one case ticketed for having their pet off a leash. Also, yeah, the coyotes and ring-tails down there are fearless. Don't leave anything out that smells like food or it will be gone in the morning. I even had a box of climbing chalk disappear. The coyotes are another good reason to keep your dog restrained. My advice if one HAS to bring their dog with them, is to keep them on a leash at all times when around the popular campground crags like Hidden Valley, and only take them on the trails if you're heading out somewhere remote, like along Geology Tour road, if you don't want to get a ticket.

When I as in the tree last month, there was so much ranger presence (harassment) it was rediculous- I thought I was in the valley. As for dogs, lots of people there had them. They usually left them at camp, which is pretty annoying if you're taking a rest day (yap yap, bark, whine, yap yap) Personally, I think it's more of a pain in the ass than anything else

Don't quote me on this, but I have seen many dogs at the easily accessed crags and the only place that specifically say no dogs are the backcountry trails like the boy scout trail and the like. Which is good as there are sections back in there that a dog can't really get through.But remember keep your doggie off my rope and out of my belayers butt. Unless of course my belayer is into that kinda thing...

miker

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm

"Pets are allowed in the park but they must be leashed at all times and they must never be left unattended, not even in the car, (temperatures can become very hot , very quickly in a car), and they are prohibited on trails."

http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/camping.htm

http://www.joshua.tree.national-park.com/

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: mikeadam ]

just leave them at home or with friends.......do you think a dog wants to deal woth human rules and restrictions??? i doubt it, probably just wants to lick itself and to them wether it be at home or at the crag makes no difference.....so you use your brain and figure if it makes no difference to the dog, then leave them where there will be less hassle and it aint at the crag.......

and again it is usually the dogs owner that is the problem and not the dog...

tod i say leave the little guy home......

My brother has taken his guide dog with him to JT without any problems or hassles. In fact, most people are really excited to see Jeep. Then again, who is going to hassle a blind guy who wants to climb? (No, Jeep doesn't lead - he usually sleeps while Karl climbs.)