total carnage on the east ridge of forbidden

ivan

for once i beat josh to the punch on the t.r.

did this car to car on wednesday in 15 hours (so many flowers to stop and smell along the way) started up the trail at 7 a.m. passing the avy debris was far easier this time compared to last year. saw 3 other folks headed towards sahale. much less snow in the basin compared to the same time last year. annoying sliding around in the scree getting up to the east ridge, but fun climb from there. didn't feel like we were going slow, but didn't make the top until 5. did my first 5.8 alpine lead on the last gendarme...only took a minute after spending 5 trying to find my balls. descended the east side route. back to the packs at 620 (420 in hawaii). didn't want to waste time w/ crampons for the brief snowfield above the bedrock and paid the price. slipped, arresting only slowed the slide, and went down the whole 200 feet or so before smashing into the rocks. erased all the skin from the top of my right hand (jerking off now signicantly more painful) and made my parka rather bloody. made it below timberline as the sun was setting. headlamp developed a loose contact and blinked off and on incessantly. tired and stumbling the whole way out. christ that last part of the trail is steep as shit.

on the drive home the old adage "the most dangerous part of any climb is the drive there" was reinforced. josh, hardman of the mountain that he is, turns into a wee lass when large bugs fly around his head. found this out while he was barreling down the top part of the cascade river road in a fine piece of german precision engineering...as he swats and thrashs at the air in anger, my balls leap into my throat hellno3d.gif as the car makes a beeline for the cliff and a sweet, rapid 500 foot descent. he recovers with 6 inches to spare. then, back on the paved byways of babylon, whilst checking his messages like the consumate ubber-yuppie he plays on television, we run down a fawn that zigs when it oughtava zagged. at this point, badly shaken by two big winks from the Big Bastard in the Sky, josh relinquishes the helm to me, a potentially fatal mistake as my brillantly stoned mind can't quite comprehend the intricacies of a manual shift w/ 6 forward gears.

wanna put some of those pix up, amigo?

in summary: a great day, a sweet climb & an excellent conclusion to a fine summer, just watch your ass on the way home

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha! Great TR, Ivan, and well summed up. I really enjoyed this route, esp. considering it was my first time ever on Forbidden Peak. The view on top with Inspiration ice cap on one side and boston glacier on the other can't be beat. Hitting that fawn definitely sucked, but I'm sure some darrington resident found it the next morning and made himself a nice meal of it. HCL.gif

Scott, the east ledges descent was pretty easy, IMHO. I had heard bad stories from people, but I thought it was a pretty straightforward descent. We rapped 5 times if I recall. After the first 3 or so, it seemed like you could downclimb pretty easily, but with the rope out and us being tired, continuing to rap seemed like a good call. From there you basically just traverse level across the face and you are back at the notch before you know it.

leejams said:

. Josh, hope you didn't hurt that audi. wave.gif

hurt it? you fucking crazy? the krauts didn't march into french-fry land w/ machines that dent when struck by furry mammals...christ, there wasn't even a drop of blood or a puff of sweet spotted fur on the car...the nazi force field did all the work

on another note, i found the east ridge descent route better than the west one. the traverse on the ledges was a bit wearing, mostly just b/c i didn't want to get stuck out after dark twice on the same damn mountain, but it did seem faster than rapping/downclimbing the 4th class gully on the west side.

figured out the left hand style, all is well rockband.gif

We bailed on an attempt of the east ridge this morning due to weather, but at the TH yesterday met three guys who did the W Ridge. They scrambled up where the snow stopped in the coulior. It looked like it was broke in half, about midway up.

The snow for the east ridge approach was done in trail shoes and insteps. Sketchy for sure, but do-able. There are a couple of really nice and flat dirt bivy spots about 200ft below the start of the route. It sucked bailing, that looks like a neat route.

Sharkfin Tower stumped the hell out of us although the approach gully directly underneath it is far better than the first orange gully on the approach. We climbed a side... which side I don't recall but it was green and from the notch where the snow goes up to the base of Sharkfin. We went down about 20ft towards the Boston Glacier and then started a rising traverse. That was mega-annoying, trying to find the route. We think we saw it on the rappel into the other notch???

There are no biting flies in Boston Basin. No mosquitos either, both due (I think) to the nearby fire that is spewing out smoke and ash. There are marmots that will customize your foam sleeping pad, at no charge. If it wasn't illegal, I'd be eating marmot soup right now, those little bastards.

Saw a nice guy on the way out who was going to solo the Torment/Forbidden traverse hellno3d.gif

• 2 weeks later...
JoshK said:

Pencil_Pusher said:

Saw a nice guy on the way out who was going to solo the Torment/Forbidden traverse hellno3d.gif

What's so hellno3d.gif about that? It's all easily soloable terrain.

Umm... yeah right rolleyes.gif

Funny how things look better on paper and the rock easier from the bottom, when looking up. So have you soloed this or are you just talking smack?