ugliness

erik

well there are many forms of it and i think one of the MOST DISGUSTING is the absuvie amount of chalk that is left on rocks.....

tick marks

puffs

blatent over use

just all of it, i spent like half the day cleaning chalk yesterday........

if i see someone making a tick mark be prepared to be berated!

use chalk sparingly!!!!!!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wirlwind said:

lummox said:

i like chalk. it works. i tried this other shit called 'climb on bar'. its like grease. i couldnt climb atall. i was slipping off a jugs.

i hope ur not serious, cause that shits for after u climb. rolleyes.gif

well shit. it dint come with instructions or nothing.

catbirdseat said:

I saw chalk marks on the South Arete route of SEWS. Most of it is fourth class. Seriously, if a person needs chalk on the South Arete, maybe climbing is not the right sport for him.

maybe? maybe not..

ive climbed a couple of harder routes on that thing and use a chalk bag....and then i down climb the s arete......so maybe it aint someone who cant do it???

i am talking of blatent abuse...such as tick marks.

I think you are talking about things like this. I don't mean to rip on this guy in particular, but check out the 5 gallon bucket of chalk sitting on the ground. In my opinion it does look like shit. I am guilty of it too. I have never brushed the chalk off of a problem after I work it. I imagine this will become more and more of an issue the more areas that are developed. My guess is that in 10 years it will be the norm to bring a brush with you to clean up your mess after you are done climbing. Except for highballs of course. Or maybe all the people who own stick clips will have brush attachments to go along with them.

erik said:

catbirdseat said:

I saw chalk marks on the South Arete route of SEWS. Most of it is fourth class. Seriously, if a person needs chalk on the South Arete, maybe climbing is not the right sport for him.

maybe? maybe not..

ive climbed a couple of harder routes on that thing and use a chalk bag....and then i down climb the s arete......so maybe it aint someone who cant do it???

i am talking of blatent abuse...such as tick marks.

The chalk might have been residual chalk from someone climbing one of the harder routes, but the quantity suggested otherwise.

Smith is slowly turning into a limestone crag. I'm sure a future budding archaeologist will base her phd defence on the "ancient tropical reef colonies" of central oregon, where once roamed the mighty herds of subaruis outbackensis, living off macciatos and lasportiva free tibet stickers.

iain said:

Smith is slowly turning into a limestone crag. I'm sure a future budding archaeologist will base her phd defence on the "ancient tropical reef colonies" of central oregon, where once roamed the mighty herds of subaruis outbackensis, living off macciatos and lasportiva free tibet stickers.

AH-HAH! You finally screwed up. Proof irrefutable, iain = DFA.

lots more chalk build up when it dont rain for 3 weeks?

personally i believe chalk is aid which is why i use it at every opportunity.

also i like to chalk up off route useless sucker holds on hard routes, or throw my chalkball randomly at certain boulders, in order to fool other people.

fruit.gif