Some people..........

erik

So I started climbing with a pretty close group of friends. We have all progressed at different levels and what not. Though not until I started climbing with other people did I finally start to figure it out all on my own. Which I think is kinda odd, as all my friends are pretty decent climbers in their own right. But who knows maybe there is a hidden element that is bred within an old group of friends in which limits our potential growth within the group? I dunno.

In the last 2 years, I have started to climb with two people in particular that have taught me more about climbing well, then anyone else ever has. I have always liked to attempt to see what everyone is doing different and to see if I could adopt something to make me better. But with these people it seemed to be their attitude more then anything. Not their climbing style, their gear but how they approached it.

It all makes sense now!

I have learned to "JUST FUCKING DO IT!" & "QUITE YOUR WHINING AND GET IT DONE". Or the more latonic "Yeah man, we'll send this bitch and then go get some beers" & "Hurry up with the pitch and we'll smoke a phatty". Sure these seem kinda rude or offbase, but it is the message that is important. I take it as, quit overthinking make the moves and finnish it up. The others are a slight reward for a job well done.

Everytime I go out I attempt to apply these to my thinking and my doing. So far with the help of an attitude I have been able to pull of some neat climbs.

So anyone else have someone who has helped make them a better climber?

To the midget jerk and the albatross

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my more frequent partners this spring had that, "hey, let's do that" attitude. Plus, he led me up some harder cracks than I had been on before. Those two factors helped me get to the place where I would just go for it and feel confident moving on to harder climbs.

Early in my climbing experience I was fortunate enough to climb with some very experienced and good climbers. After moving away from that group I've been hard pressed to learn on my own. Unfortunately, the climbers I've climbed with lately aren't at my level or don't have the experience of climbing with others that share the same attitude as my early climbing partners. I'm trying to pass on what I learned though.

I have been lucky enough to climb with alot of diffrent people. I feel as though I take something and hope that I give something worth while in every experience. Some of the best climbers I have met are super suportive, and you spend so much time laughing that you don't realize what you just pulled off until you get home. Attitude is everything grin.gif What works for me, may not work for you. The important thing is that people find the attitude that works for them. I generaly have more fun and climb better if no one is rushing me, and if I take the attitude of just trying my best, no matter what the out come. grin.gif

iain said:

I find pulling on gear and stepping on bolts gets me through stuff that no motivational speaker can help with.

Thats awsome!!!

People that bitch and moan on whatever, weather is be on the mountain, on the rock, or just out on the trail... These peolpe have driven me to do some of my fastest and thoughtless asents ever... you want to get away from them so bad that you just hual ass and don't think about the moves, you just make them...

My regular climbing partner has either lost interest or his excuses are real, I dunno. confused.gif

So, this summer I have had to either go with his flow or take the bull by the horns. I chose the later. Its given me some wonderful opportunities to climb with other people and learn from them.

The attitude of "just do it" has become a common theme for me. No excuses ...shoes, hungover, 'just not my day', wet/greasy rock, etc. Banking on each others strengths has also been key, along with recognizing and using my own vs using my weaknesses as an excuse.

The one person who has helped me the most is someone who believes in my potential to reach whatever goals I set. He helps me focus on my strengths and points out what I can work on in a gentle way (knowing that I will do so when Im ready). He allows me to disagree with him, despite his experience. Most importantly he has encouraged me to reach deep down in order to find both the mental and physical strenght neccesary to keep moving forward.

I think its easy to fall into a rut with the same climbing partner. On the other hand, if you allow each other to go out and experiment by climbing with different people, you can bring back so much more to your 'relationship' and climbing skills/attitude

(hmmmm...kinda sounds like sex! grin.gif)

I could go on and on about this subject, but I will spare you all. I think Erik hit the nail on the head (for me at least)

Thanks for the topic bigdrink.gif

100% agree Erik.

Climbing is not about thinking too much. Once you can get your shit dialed and not have to think you'll start sendin. I wish people would stop contemplating climbing a 5.whatever and just give it a shot. So what if you don't get the "onsite." Just admit your too scared and go back to bouldering or ski-mountaineering easy dog routes.

Lucid post, Erik.

I've enjoyed climbing with beginners where I get to observe the process of learning and see the psychological side of people trying to overcome their fears. It keeps me in touch with that which I otherwise start to take for granted.

I enjoyed the several years I spent climbing almost exclusively with two girlfriends. While both were competent climbers, I did virtually all the leading. Which was fine, because I love the thrill of leading. Inevitably, climbing leads to situations that are stressful/thrilling/scary/beautiful/exhausting/wonderful, and it's nice to be able to experience that emotional and physical ride with your honey.

I like climbing with partners at roughly my same exceptionally mediocre level, because usually each person has different strengths and weaknesses and you can share the leads and not feel too much like a guide.

And it's great experience to climb with a stronger or more experienced partner, because you get to learn new tricks and follow stuff that you might have been scared to lead, and afterwards you usually realize that a good portion of your "lead limit" is self-limiting and psychological.

I've also learned a lot recently about climbing quickly and efficiently, without ever rushing or being in a hurry. Which is a lot of fun--when you spend more of your time on a route actually climbing rather than messing around at belays, you get into that flow state more easily and the pitches blend together and the climbing actually seems easier.

I get this phrase in my head when I'm climbing well: flowing like an avalanche, rolling up the mountain...

Rarely do I climb with someone who does things exactly as I do, and that's always an opportunity to learn. Then again, you can always get stuck halfway up some mountain with somebody like "Elmer."

pitty.gif

Puff, puff, send...

I climbed a couple of things with a guy named Peter, a sophomore at the U.W. who had the coolest attitude. Even in the worst weather, this kid wanted to climb. Not to say he was stupid or anything. If the weather indicated high avalanche danger, he might call off an attempt on a snowy peak, but that didn't mean he wanted to sit home and study at the coffee house. He was game to head to the hills when it was absolutely dumping rain in Seattle. He just loved being out there that much. I can think of several, younger climbers who have displayed a similar passion/obsession with climbing, and I like to be around such people since their enthusiasm is contagious.

erik said:

So anyone else have someone who has helped make them a better climber?

hell yeah.

two that come to mind off the top of my head are:

chucK - climbed with teh fella one cold fuckin' day in december a couple years ago at index. got a photographic memory, meaning that i even remember his wife was playing hockey (right?) that day, and chucK chose a sonic youth cd for drivin' tunes...

being the pussy i am, compounded by teh fact that i feared the reputation index has as a sandbag granite crack haven, i was glad that chucK led p.1. of godzilla and p.2. of city park. thankfully, i pulled both, clean. it felt really good. we also did piceces and some other great pitches at GNS. flashed everything i set out upon (following chucK's lead), thanks to many, many hours at teh UW rock refining my crack climbing. what a great day. index 10c crack, clean. couldn't be happier.

mattp - i did a route up squire creek wall with mattp in october 10, 2000. once again, i was a general candy ass. plus i tweaked my ankle on the first roped pitch of climbing. it was nothing that truely threatened mobility; it just hurt and was annoying. mattp is a hell of a guy and we bushwhacked some fierce terrain, then climbed 7 fine pitches of varied terrain, toasting guinness before the adventurous descent/hike/downclimb.

i've also bouldered with some talented, strong folks, who inspire on a regular basis. same goes for other trad partners i've climbed with.

that's what makes climbing great! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif