Crystal Mountain Rescue

mikeadam

Hey Fellas:

I used to feel the same way and swore I'd never get on a board but - I tore my MCL last year early season and was left with a choice between eating the cost of a season pass, AND a 6 month spot in a condo in Frisco, CO (within 1/2 hour of A-Basin, Vail, Beaver Creek, Copper Mountain, Breckenridge, and Keystone) or bracing the hell out of my knee and hopping on a board until I was all healed up. I chose the board and got about 25 days in after staying off of the slopes for a couple of months.

I'm still a skier at heart, and once the healing is complete (I re-injured my knee late season but kept riding) I'll probably ski 75% of the time. Having said that, however, I have to admit it's been very cool adding the board to my quiver of alpine tools. It's the first entirely new motor skill I've picked up since learning to juggle in the 5th grade, and I think it'll only help my skiing - riding through the steep bumps with style on a board it hands down the most difficult thing I've ever done on snow.

Sooo - I'm still a loyal skiier, but if injury, want, or privation should compel you to pick up a board at some point, don't rule it out!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bearded one with the levis soaked to his knees and orange external framepack

That sounds like an Austrian named Ludwig, one of the old guard skiers who can be found alpine touring at Washington Pass or along Highway 2. The beard and soaked levis are his trademark, though it seems to me I may have seen him with a canvas sac millet or something like that rather than an orange frame pack. Anybody know him? He's fun to ski with.

Years ago, he and Bill Stark and some others in the Leavenworth area proposed to build a ski area on Cashmere Mountain in the Icicle. I am not sure of the history on this, but I believe it may have been one of the economic development proposals under consideration when the Barfarian Village concept was put into play.

There seems to be a new breed this year at the resorts. They spend the extra $$ and use AT gear and ski groomed blue runs. Most of them have the new Diamir II bindings and wear scarpa Lazers and the closest thing to the back country they get is the upper parking lot at Alpental. Ask them and they will tell you that is cool beacuse its light (i.e. breakable and unstable at speed) and you can do either a tele or a parallel turn.

These seem to be the true wanna be's. Back country is hip these days. And for just $300 (for the bindings) you to can ski everywhere.

I figure its a good fad though. It make gear cheaper!

quote:

Originally posted by fern:

ha ... nonsense. You can sorta parallel on tele-gear, but you can't tele on AT gear, and why would you bother anyways?

You can sort of tele on AT gear; but the binding isn't built for that kind of force.

I totally agree with you fern when you say, "why would you want to."

quote:

Originally posted by hakioawa:
There seems to be a new breed this year at the resorts. They spend the extra $$ and use AT gear and ski groomed blue runs. Most of them have the new Diamir II bindings and wear scarpa Lazers and the closest thing to the back country they get is the upper parking lot at Alpental. Ask them and they will tell you that is cool beacuse its light (i.e. breakable and unstable at speed) and you can do either a tele or a parallel turn.

These seem to be the true wanna be's. Back country is hip these days. And for just $300 (for the bindings) you to can ski everywhere.

I figure its a good fad though. It make gear cheaper!

I love rich people who love fads. Next season we can buy this lightly used gear for pennies on the dollar because it's available in a new color the following year.

Phil I think you and Greg are focusing on one part of the thread. There was an accident at Crystal, people were ripping on snowboarders, A guy named Ludwig came up, and some people were ripping on resort skiers with more money than sense.

So instead of whining. Ignore the part you don't like and add to the other parts you do like or skip the whole thing.

quote:

Originally posted by hakioawa:
There seems to be a new breed this year at the resorts. They spend the extra $$ and use AT gear and ski groomed blue runs. Most of them have the new Diamir II bindings and wear scarpa Lazers and the closest thing to the back country they get is the upper parking lot at Alpental.

I've seen them at Cypress Bowl, skinning up the greens. Must be training for Denali or sumthin' rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Ask them and they will tell you that is cool beacuse its light (i.e. breakable and unstable at speed) and you can do either a tele or a parallel turn.

ha ... nonsense. You can sorta parallel on tele-gear, but you can't tele on AT gear, and why would you bother anyways?

Bitch and complain all you want. But if it had not been for snow boarding American ski resorts would have not been able to expand they way they have in the past 10 years. Snow boarding put new blood in the resorts. PLUS, snow board technology has been used to make skis better. Personally I ski...my son tells me I should learn to board as it would be easier on "old" knees, and i might yet. Tied it last year for a couple of runs. It was OK. I guess I need to spend a couple of weeks on a board and then it would be better. And I will do it some time just not right now. But for all you boarders out there...just go on and have a goooood time. [Wazzup]