Crystal Mountain Rescue

mikeadam

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truly frustrating thing about snowboarders is that even with all the stupid, ignore-self-preservation-instinct stunts they pull, their mortality rate is still many orders of magnitude below the rate of entry of new snowboarders into the mix. Unless we take action, this trend will continue and with it will come the final depredation of all that is decent and good about sliding downhill on steel edges. grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by bobinc:
The truly frustrating thing about snowboarders is that even with all the stupid, ignore-self-preservation-instinct stunts they pull, their mortality rate is still many orders of magnitude below the rate of entry of new snowboarders into the mix. Unless we take action, this trend will continue and with it will come the final depredation of all that is decent and good about sliding downhill on steel edges.
grin.gif" border="0

There's plenty of punk ass kids on skis nowadays, too. Their shit stinks just as bad as your run of the mill punk snowboarder- or crusty old, close-minded alpine skier. shocked.gif" border="0

Sorry to hear that knuckle draggers infringe on the purity of your 2 plank schuss. Sad thing is, if weren't for the increased number of snowboarders, there are number of ski resorts that would have gone TU in the mid to late 1990's becuase of the decline in skier visitation. [Wazzup]

Can't we all just get along? [laf]

You ever go to one of your favorite steep runs ona good powder day, just to find that some snowboarderside-slid all the snow off of it, because they reallycouldn't board it? That and the rude,give no shitabout anyone but themselves manners, is what 90% ofsnowboarders are like. Plus, 50% of their turns aremade blind("backside" turns). If you're a good snowboarder and can make TURNS in the steeps,fine;if not stay where you belong! [Moon]

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Richard Pumpington ]

Well said. I never wanted to suggest there aren't any bad, rude skiers out there, but the bozoism quotient is jus' plain higher for the ridin' group. That being said, I've had the pleasure of spending time with good boarders in the backcountry and indeed they can do amazing things on difficult terrain.

quote:

Originally posted by Richard Pumpington:
You ever go to one of your favorite steep runs ona good powder day, just to find that some snowboarderside-slid all the snow off of it, because they reallycouldn't board it? 50% of their turns are made blind("backside" turns). If you're a good snowboarder and can make TURNS in the steeps,fine;if not stay where you belong!
[Moon]

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Richard Pumpington ]

Dick, let's ponder this. I ride a 147 or 152cm board, how long are your skis? Don't f'in tell me skiers don't side slip down steep shit. Now hmm, two planks, probably longer than my board raking off snow not once but twice. Kiss it [Moon] And what the hell does it matter that the turn is backside or frontside, your head can turn 90 degrees ehh?

The issue with attitude likely has more to do with the age group on each apparatus than anything else. I don't see many people over 35 on boards.

Hey Dick Pump, its heelside, not backside. I know you don't get it but I'll explain. If a regular footed (left foot foward) rider turns left he is on his heel side edge, hence heel side turn. However, if a rider rotates his body in that same direction while airborn, he would be spinning frontside. By the way Pumper, how are your turns? Your probabaly one of those skiers who never quite got that parallel turn thing down and is still half snowplowing. Its cool, my Mom has the same problem, just keep taking those lessons and remember:

Big Pizza Slice = slow

Little Pizza Slice = fast

quote:

Originally posted by avypoodle:
Hey Dick Pump, its heelside, not backside. I know you don't get it but I'll explain. If a regular footed (left foot foward) rider turns left he is on his heel side edge, hence heel side turn. However, if a rider rotates his body in that same direction while airborn, he would be spinning frontside. By the way Pumper, how are your turns? Your probabaly one of those skiers who never quite got that parallel turn thing down and is still half snowplowing. Its cool, my Mom has the same problem, just keep taking those lessons and remember: Big Pizza Slice = slow Little Pizza Slice = fast

ooooohhhhhh da dawg himself hath spoken!!!!! now whatca gonna do!!!??!???!!

oops shes lurking. sorry confused.gif" border="0

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

Whatever, I don't have a problem with good boarders,

just the problem children I spoke of(unfortunately

there are a higher percentage of them). My skiing?

Just fine!I'm sure I was ripping it on skis, long

before you ever picked up a board; I won't make any

assumptions about your ability.Why don't you let your

fellow boarder Mr.Strickland, know it's "heelside"

and not "backside" and if you've ever set foot on a

surfboard, it's "backside"(thought there might be

some crossover).

SNOWBOARDERS = idiots who lack control and ruin moguls. Just plain dumb. Avalanche fodder.

TELE SKIERS = asshole snobs who think they're somehow "above" the rest of us. What the fuck are they doing on groomed slopes anyway? Get your asses into the backcountry and take your snobbiness with you. I'll be peelin' that "free the heel" bumper sticker off your car while you're there. Free the heel??? WHY, I ask!

RONDONEE SKIERS = They are awsome...they "earn their turns" without the attitude of the tele's.

ALPINE SKIERS = Nice, friendly, always (almost) in control of their descent, they spend too much $$$ on their gear and clothes though.

....and that is how I feel.

quote:

ALPINE SKIERS = ...blah blah...spend too much $$$ on their gear and clothes though.

And AT gear is dirt cheap? AT has to be the most over-priced stuff out there and people (like me) gladly fork over for it.

Now how much do you want to bet that at least one person is going to chime in with:"Can I ski AT with my <insert climbing boot here>?" [sleep]

Fairweather - As to telemark skiers, I think I may understand where you are coming from. The telemark thing is really an accident of history and while some people believe it to be somehow spiritually superior, it is mostly just a fad that may or may not last (it has been around for twenty years or so, so maybe it will, and I should tell you that I am one of those "pinheads" but I recognize the fact that I am only into it because I used to eat granola and ski on wooden boards). I don't think I agree with you about snowboarders and alpine skiers, though. I believe the simpler and more accurate distinction is this: resort users (whether skiers, snowboarders or whatever) are generally clueless, whereas backcountry skiers are generally much more aware of where they are and what they are doing. I think this applies whether on the hill or on the highway getting there but, as with any generalization, the distinction does not always hold up.

That is how I feel.-Mattp

Oh yes, and I should add that in my experience, backcountry snowboarders and yes, even some backcountry snowmobilers, can be equally hip to what's happening and just as cool with the other backcountry users or drivers on the highway. Again, particularly in the case of the snowmobiliers, the generalization doesn't always hold up.

MattP

No disrespect intended. Just some general observations/stereotype re-enforcement. Actually, when I see tele's in the backcountry (I'm on snowshoes there) they're OK. At a ski resort they seem to become pricks. Maybe they just want to make sure all of the "lesser skiers" know who's "more spiritual", as you say.

And lest you think I am talking about the people that ski up logging roads to bond with the woods, I should say that these are not in my opionion true backcountry explorers. Some of these "skiers" are just as clueless as a resort skier -- maybe evem more so because they have neither the skill of a serious skier or those of a backcountry traveller.

Fairweather -

That could be. But I rather suspect that those who have the prick attitude may be more into resort skiing than backcountry. If you want to strut like a peacock (and I think that is what you may be suggesting that they do), the backcountry just isn't the place to be -- unless you want to go show off your "prowess" in front of a bunch of gapers just outside the Paradise parking lot or something.

- Matt

quote:

And lest you think I am talking about the people that ski up logging roads to bond with the woods, I should say that these are not in my opionion true backcountry explorers. Some of these "skiers" are just as clueless as a resort skier -- maybe evem more so because they have neither the skill of a serious skier or those of a backcountry traveller.

I know that guy....the bearded one with the levis soaked to his knees and orange external framepack. Oh wait, that was me in scouts back in the day...minus the beard.

One category I left out, due to it's insignificance are the "snowblade" skiers. I've been looking at getting a pair of those little boards. They would fit real nice on the sides of my Bora 40 and they'd also attach to my mountaineering boots. They look like they would be a blast coming down from Muir or the top of St Helens. 2400g per pair! Anyone tried these out with Mtn boots??

Don't need no haytaz, don't need no beraytahz

All you two stick, no dick, ski snobs need to move to Taos or Alta (empahasis on snobs, not ski). Who gives a shit how you get down the hill, ya'll are just jealous that some 6 year old just pulled a rodeo over your head off the kicker when it's all you can do to stay on your twigs.

Bwhaahaha and when that six year old winds up on the flats and has to scurry about one-footin' to get to the next slope, cussing up a storm the whole way in his mushroom-colored oversize pants, yeah, I'll admit I'm a little jealous.

Detach, scurry, attach, detach, scurry, repeat as necessary. And it's always necessary.

Jus' kidding. Doesn't matter how you get down the slope. I guess I just hate 13 year old punk kids w/ no f'ing manners, all who seem to snowboard.

quote:

Originally posted by imorris:
Detach, scurry, attach, detach, scurry, repeat as necessary. And it's always necessary.

Jus' kidding. Doesn't matter how you get down the slope. I guess I just hate 13 year old punk kids w/ no f'ing manners, all who seem to snowboard.

Yeah, that sucks you just have to know there's flats on the run and carry enough speed. I've wanted to switch to clicker bindings for a long time for that very reason. The fashion thing kills me, I'm out there riding in my climbing gear all the way down to the Scarpa Alphas, ugliest ensemble on the hill. You're on the mark about the manners, man I'm a no-manner punk now, I must have been a REAL asshole at 14. I guess I almost get as annoyed by people who decide to take a sit-down break in the middle of a tight chute (like the middle of the Ridge Run at meadows) as the 12 yr old punks screaming by. I rode that run twice and both times almost mauled someone in their 30's who decided that having their entire crew of six sit down around a blind corner with the six of them spaced all the way across the gully was a good idea. Visibility was pretty bad and I barely threaded them. 'course maybe I'm just a Georgia hick and don't know hill etiquette, could be...