F!@#@$King top ropers!

hakioawa

Some friends and I were at octopus's garden at the smoke bluffs this weekend. We got there early and had the whole place to ourselves. For about 10 minutes.

A huge group of people quickly showed up and started putting up top ropes. A!@@ holes! This is perhaps one of the best moderate crack crags in Squamish. 5 of the 5 or up are ready willing and able to lead gear routes in the 5.6-5.9 range. But we got booted off. One guy threw a rope down the climb I was leading (5.9, can't remember the name) then was pissed cause I claimed I was crowding his route.

I used to this it was cool to chop bolts but leave the anchors. Now I say, time to add a gorilla bar an a socket wrench to my crag pack.

Chop the anchors and the top ropers will be SOL! madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know thats what we get for climbing at the Smoke bluffs. But the thing is there are so many contrived bolted routes. Putting multiple ropes on 2 and 3 star cracks really pisses me off.

Oh and I got no problem top roping I do it too. Just not on classic gear lines. I saw some guy practicing acending a rope on

Flying Circus 5.10a at Neat and Cool.

Hey Seattle folks, you guys are lucky you have a selection of crags. In Eugene, we have one place to climb (the Columns) that's decent when nobody is there but most of the time sucks and is choked with gapers. I've had ropes dropped on me several times. When it's crowded, you can't even take in slack w/o hitting the person next to you. I just go early in the mornin, and usually there's only one other group there. thumbs_up.gif

Boo to gapers boxing_smiley.gif

bunglehead said:

Hey Seattle folks, you guys are lucky you have a selection of crags. In Eugene, we have one place to climb (the Columns) that's decent when nobody is there but most of the time sucks and is choked with gapers. I've had ropes dropped on me several times. When it's crowded, you can't even take in slack w/o hitting the person next to you. I just go early in the mornin, and usually there's only one other group there. thumbs_up.gif

Boo to gapers boxing_smiley.gif

it hasn't been too bad lately with most of the students gone wink.gif

bunglehead said:

True. And it's damn pleasant in the early morning (before 7) rockband.gif

I actually like the columns when nobody's there.

I don't even mind it with all the people arround. Sometimes I run into people I realy like grin.gif But I have to admit, sitting at the top setting an anchor watching the sun come up, (okay umm not come up, because you are facing west, but you do watch it get light wink.gif ) TOTALY RULEZ!!! I love to watch the city (er um town) wake up thumbs_up.gif

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

shapp said:

Hey Hiakowa, I still got those Bella Fleck tickets but haven't heard from you about recieving them. If you are still interested give me an email at jasonshappart2001@yahoo.com or I'll be looking for another buyer,

Cheers

bad form dude! why dont you email him?

and on the top ropers, it sux when they throw ropes on you and shit. it sux when the monopolize crags. but the sad reality is, if they are not perceptive to your words then bahhh with them. smoke bluffs has lots of good crags.

better things to worry about.

that are hang around and be uber fucking obnoxious! thats what i would do.

that or hang around and be uber fucking obnoxious! thats what i would do.

Exactly. Srategicly place yourself with a half dozen or so 24 oz "king cans" bigdrink.gif of varying lousy quality, proudly display them as you shotgun a few while burning a rather large spleef. If they aren't gone yet, tie into your ratiest rope and follow up so close they're nearly stepping on you, shouting pointless beta the whole time. They'll get annoyed enough to leave.

Of course it would be easier if Hakioawa wasn't so pompous and realized that it's a popular area that he has no more right to than the next guy. If you don't like the "atmosphere", move on.

slaphappy said:

that or hang around and be uber fucking obnoxious! thats what i would do.

Exactly. Srategicly place yourself with a half dozen or so 24 oz "king cans" bigdrink.gif of varying lousy quality, proudly display them as you shotgun a few while burning a rather large spleef. If they aren't gone yet, tie into your ratiest rope and follow up so close they're nearly stepping on you, shouting pointless beta the whole time. They'll get annoyed enough to leave.

Of course it would be easier if Hakioawa wasn't so pompous and realized that it's a popular area that he has no more right to than the next guy. If you don't like the "atmosphere", move on.

Hey Slaphappy, kiss my moon.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

Of course I know its a popular place. But common courtesy says not to throw a TR down on a leader. I was a bit pissed and am just blowing off steam. And yeah thats what we did, we left.

hakioawa said:

common courtesy says not to throw a TR down on a leader

You're lucky they weren't euros, or they might have done worse than that. In the Bugaboos and in Chamonix, I've had eurodogs pull down on my belay rope while I was leading!

mattp said:

hakioawa said:

common courtesy says not to throw a TR down on a leader

You're lucky they weren't euros, or they might have done worse than that. In the Bugaboos and in Chamonix, I've had eurodogs pull down on my belay rope while I was leading!

Thats when your belay takes out his ice axe and tells them to back the fuck up.