• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg_W said:

JoshK said:

Greg, please explain to me how arming yourself is going to prevent your car from getting broken into while you are up in the hills?

Might not, but my troll worked now didn't it? hehehe

Yes, that it did. the_finger.gifyellaf.gif

It might, however, be kind of fun to hang out high above a commonly theived parking lot armed with a sniper rifle. Is the cascade pass lot hit a lot? Imagine taking aim at fools from high atop cascade pass. yelrotflmao.gif

Toast said:

A couple of friends of mine came back to their car after climbing Eldorado. A window was smashed and all their clothes were stolen. They had to drive back home wet and stinky.

Trailhead theives are so suck. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Not only that, but they did $4,000 damage to the car. That is really fucked up. madgo_ron.gif

I bet ya 10 to 1 all of these break-ins are perpetrated by the same small group of hoodlums (at least the same group for each geographic area). You've got the I-90 Prowler Angels, the SPH Spittoon Gang, the MLH Milf Hunter Posse, and the NCH Narcotic Dealer Wannabes....or some stupid punk-ass names like that.

To them, I say: shove your the_finger.gif up your moon.gif and HCL.gif your own terds, scum bags!

Now they are targeting Cascade River Road? Is nothing sacred? madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

I'll point this out even if some or most already know it. Damage to your car on break ins like this is covered by comprehensive insurance on your car insurance policy. Replacement of stolen items inside is covered by homeowner's or renter's insurance (not sure about the stereo). I don't have renter's insurance (perhaps should) but do carry comprehensive. It saved me over $200 when my car was broken into at Rainy Pass two falls ago to replace the broken window.

Preppy sweater? Hmmm, I guess so. I'm like a secret agent. Must have many different wardrobes so as to blend in. I guess my HQ information blotter was wrong. They told me climbers are all a bunch of preppy college kids. Next time I'm going with the heavy, plaid lumberjack shirt.

I have an alarm on my piece of shit 1981 Honda Civic. The alarm is currently disconnected since it is about 13 years old and "acting up." I got it while in college when my car kept getting broken into. They weren't trying to steal the car, obviously, but what might be in it (hint: I no longer listen to rap music because of their thievery). So now, many years later, people wonder why I would have an alarm on a POS car. Why do I always have to tell them it's not about the car itself but protecting what might be in it (CD changer, stereo, spare climbing gear, etc.)? The car has since been broken into a half-dozen times in the last 13 years, last time was February 2002. Oddly, as much time as it's spent parked at trailheads, it's never been broken into at such a location [KNOCK ON WOOD].

Still, though, I don't know how much of a deterrant a resounding alarm horn would be in the middle of the hills.

i wonder what the legal implications of leaving some sort of injury producing booby trap in your car and what potential designs could be implemented.

1) needles infected with hepatitis C could be left scattered in the glove compartment.

2) perhaps some sort of poisonous gas system would work well in the enclosed space of a car interior. i've heard mixing chlorine bleach with certain chemicals produces chlorine gas.

other ideas?

i wonder what the legal implications of leaving some sort of injury producing booby trap in your car

i would imagine high... i read about an elderly woman who was being burglarized and the crook fell through the skylight and landed on a knife inteh kitchn and sued the woman... if it wasn't for the source (NYTIMES) i wouln't have believed it... wait a minute...who wrote that article? yellaf.gif

thankfully one of my lawyer friends tell me that most of those frivolous lawsuits never actually go through. But they still bog down the legal system, and the problem is he said "most" (not all). I'm not sure what kind of penalties there are right now for submitting a frivolous suit like that, but it needs to be a lot steeper.

Lawsuit-wise, something that just leaves a semi-permanent mark on the thief, rather than injuring him, might be safer (although less satisfying)... some sort of flurescent dye strip that you put somewhere he will touch (or that explodes in his face), but can still be safely removed by you.

hmm

I am sick of break-ins.

I've said it before about the North Twin lot. I will stake out these spots if anyone wants to help cath these guys. Just sit out and get there license number and / or hold them until cops arrive.

I think theives need to know that its not ok. I don't want to be afraid to leave my car in a lot while out and about.

Please PM me if interested.

Another idea is to get volunteers to hang out at the lots, or have a gate and card-swipe system to access the roads, paid for by the forrest pass fee we already pay.

Back and college and still to this day I lived in this old rv. Twice while in college people broke into it while I was sleeping in it. Boy did they get an ass kicking from this former all state wrestler. One bum got a pair of size 12 Nepal extremes in the face as he was coming through the door!!!! I can't wait till the next time I am sleeping in it and someone breaks in. The black prophet will draw first blood.