Fuck Walmart

allthumbs

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-read the post from Trask that started the thread. No mention of immigrants, implicit or explicit, is made. Trask's argument, as I read it, is that english should be the only language on credit card readers. Period.

My wife is a non-native english speaker--hell, she speaks english better than I at this point and she's only been here about 9 years. I assumed from an avatar named Kiwi that you were a New Zealander so I apologize if I offended with my crack regarding being a non-native speaker.

Kiwi said:

Fuckin word, mate! madgo_ron.gif I was at McDonalds and I was fuckin pissed when my food had Spanish all over it! madgo_ron.gif Damn capitalists! (Even though I'm a capitalist myself)

rbw1966 said:

You guys are bigots who must not have traveled outside of the US. Those espanol speakers you whine about are often-times picking your food at sub-standard wages living in sub-standard conditions. If all you have to do is push one little extra button on an ATM or credit card reader you are priviliged indeed.

Try going to Poland or Slovakia or somewhere where few people speak english and you might learn a bit of tolerance.

Whiners.

moon.gif

Wrong! Tolerance my ass! If I was moving to Poland, I better damn well learn Polish to survive. I'm not gonna expect everything to be in English as well as Polish just to appease me. Gives me no incentive or need to learn the native language if everything's fuckin bilingual. That's the issue.

I don't expect them to come to America speaking perfect English, but they should make an effort to learn the established language (like every other immigrant that came before them). It's different now. Back in the old days, you had to learn English or be fucked to live in the US. Now, we have all this bilingual shit. Who here still speaks German and Irish?

I was at the INS and I swear to God, everything was in Spanish! You had to search for English. This is a fuckin govt building!

hey kiwi fuck stick. i was in poland and slovakia in october. wake up and smell the roses. you can spot americans miles away in these countries- because you're always lost. luckly people will go out of their way to help strangers- the only reason you can get by, since the knowlege of other languages on this side of the pond is close to zilch. did your little wasp brain ever noticed that spanish is actually spoken in whole south/central america, spain phillipines and few other places. that leaves us/canada in the minority. and maybe if you haven't red recent census results in california blacks/spanics and asians are the MAJORITY. yeas, whites are under 50%. and maybe if you'd read some history you'd know that california used to be in mexico. so take your crying punkass biatch attitude and shove it up your ass white boy. moon.gif

glassgowkiss said:

hey kiwi fuck stick. i was in poland and slovakia in october. wake up and smell the roses. you can spot americans miles away in these countries- because you're always lost. luckly people will go out of their way to help strangers- the only reason you can get by, since the knowlege of other languages on this side of the pond is close to zilch. did your little wasp brain ever noticed that spanish is actually spoken in whole south/central america, spain phillipines and few other places. that leaves us/canada in the minority. and maybe if you haven't red recent census results in california blacks/spanics and asians are the MAJORITY. yeas, whites are under 50%. and maybe if you'd read some history you'd know that california used to be in mexico. so take your crying punkass biatch attitude and shove it up your ass white boy. moon.gif

Why you bringing up tourists? confused.gif If those were American expats/immigrants, then I would see your point. It is unfortunate that Americans speak the same language as the de facto Lingua Franca, and that America is the only superpower left in the world so there is no incentive for most Americans to be more worldy.

Yeah, I know Spanish is the native/official language in other countries.

Yes, I know about the California census. In some areas of the country, whites are the minority. But we're talking about English here--language, not race or ethnicity.

glassgowkiss said:

the knowlege of other languages on this side of the pond is close to zilch. did your little wasp brain ever noticed that spanish is actually spoken in whole south/central america, spain phillipines and few other places. that leaves us/canada in the minority. and maybe if you haven't red recent census results in california blacks/spanics and asians are the MAJORITY. yeas, whites are under 50%. and maybe if you'd read some history you'd know that california used to be in mexico. so take your crying punkass biatch attitude and shove it up your ass white boy. moon.gif

what languages do you speak? ima stupid white trash ana i can get by in english spanish french and swahili. prolly outta learn mandarin.

didn't you make a connection between the language-ethnicity and cuture? the language is a part of the culture. Language IS a way of thinking.

so where is the problem? wallmart is a private enterprise. if they want make it easier for their customers to purchase products- more power to them. most atm in Poland had polish, german and engish as choices of english. if you go to vancouver bc a lot of places will have spanish or cantoneese? simply they are trying to bring more customers.

glassgowkiss said:

wallmart is a private enterprise. if they want make it easier for their customers to purchase products- more power to them. most atm in Poland had polish, german and engish as choices of english. if you go to vancouver bc a lot of places will have spanish or cantoneese? simply they are trying to bring more customers.

I understand that, but it don't like what it represents. (More govt docs will be bilingual) That's why I included that 'damn capitalists' comment.

Call me xenolinguaphobic. I'm a language nut (want to be quadralingual), but I want to perserve English in the States. Unless we're being taken over by Spanish speakers militarily, I don't want to see an outsider's language taking over.

Kiwi said:I understand that, but it don't like what it represents. (More govt docs will be bilingual) That's why I included that 'damn capitalists' comment.

Call me xenolinguaphobic. I'm a language nut (want to be quadralingual), but I want to perserve English in the States. Unless we're being taken over by Spanish speakers militarily, I don't want to see an outsider's language taking over.

Shut the fuck up dickhead. You're getting on my fucking nerves now. Who gives a fucking toss if your ATM is in 44 different languages and poor you lazy bastard has to press a fucking button. Shut your snivelling cake hole and realize that there's a whole other world outside of the U.S. Fucking bastard!

"I want English. That's not fair that they have Spanish blah blah blah blah." FUCK OFF AND DIE.

madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

marylou said:

Well, for one thing, we don't have a national language here....and for another, we've always welcomed immigrants with fairly open arms. In fact most of us descended from immigrants who may or may not have spoken Englishas their first language (mine didn't), it's just that we've been here longer than others.

Sure, it's frustrating to talk with someone who is not a native English speaker, and sure, most of us here in the USA are native English speakers, but heck, have a little patience and tolerance, and all will be well in the world. thumbs_up.gif

PS. Walmart is icky.

So, will everone agree that this Espanole crap is for the Mexican imagrants?

a culture that was forced to speak spanish; not their native tounge... so whats the big deal with forcing them to learn english if they are gonna be us citizens... simalar to this, our own native race is/was forced to speak and read english, not to mention every other race/back ground that lives in this country, so I guess I'm confused on why we must conform for the benifet of the loewst payed minorety in the counrty... I supose I'm not much into socialogy... I just don't give a shit, I have to learn their language when I travel to their country later this year... confused.gif

Kiwi said:

glassgowkiss said:

wallmart is a private enterprise. if they want make it easier for their customers to purchase products- more power to them. most atm in Poland had polish, german and engish as choices of english. if you go to vancouver bc a lot of places will have spanish or cantoneese? simply they are trying to bring more customers.

I understand that, but it don't like what it represents. (More govt docs will be bilingual) That's why I included that 'damn capitalists' comment.

WTF????!!!! you're getting on my nerves too. so here is the situation - majority of these people don't live in this country. they are migrant workers. theu stay here from 3 to 6 months out of the year. they send every penny to their famillies. they usually work between 12 and 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. they usually work on a farm, away from english speaking people. how the fuck are they supposed to learn english you dolt? they work hard so you can enjoy your 1.99/lbs of strawbarries.

what it represents is simple- there is a large group of folks, who can speak limmited english. so some people figure out, that if they have a spanish button, they can cservice that group better, hence make more money. so if you don't want social change fucking move to iran or north korea- i am sure you'll enjoy your political and social stability. othe wise shut your gob you fucking cunt

Edited by glassgowkiss

so if you don't want social change fucking move to iran or north korea- i am sure you'll enjoy your political and social stability. othe wise shut your gob you fucking cunt

Iran - No, I don't support religious states.

NK - No, don't like communism or Kim Il Jong.

Looks like i've made enemies.. Bugger. frown.gif

Kiwi said:

so if you don't want social change fucking move to iran or north korea- i am sure you'll enjoy your political and social stability. othe wise shut your gob you fucking cunt

Iran - No, I don't support religious states.

NK - No, don't like communism or Kim Il Jong.

Looks like i've made enemies.. Bugger. frown.gif

don't take it personal- i am just pointing facts.

i am also sad to say that this country IS changing into religious state- under Mr. shrub- and his buddy asscraft. this wasp mentality of christian right- if you're not with us you're against us is just down right scary. so it's pissing me off when people take on this redneck like attitude. yeah, in the ideal situation these people would be able to learn english. in they ideal situation they wouldn't have to go to another country and shove shit for living, because their own goverment is too fucked up to make things right. In this statement i am not blaming us goverment for directly creating the situation. these people are not overriding this country, they are not forcing their views onto others. they simply are trying to get by. so the redneck from wall mart should be bitch slaped a couple of times for a good measure.

Glasgowkiss, don't take it personally, just pointing out facts. But I have noticed that some Asians, when they immigrate, they stay banded together, always speaking their own language, never opening up to others. I say that Trask is a shithead for wailing about having to push a button; walmart does it only to increase their customer base. Waaaaaa! I would also say that the changing views of Americans has less to do with Bush and more to do with the political situation concerning the countries in question. Xenophobia is a human instinct that tends to come out when we don't get along. Human nature. For all the rest of you, you really sound like bigots, rednecks, and assholes. You probably aren't, but it sure sounds like it. This thread sucks. thumbs_down.gif

Sphinx said:

Glasgowkiss, don't take it personally, just pointing out facts. But I have noticed that some Asians, when they immigrate, they stay banded together, always speaking their own language, never opening up to others. I say that Trask is a shithead for wailing about having to push a button; walmart does it only to increase their customer base. Waaaaaa! I would also say that the changing views of Americans has less to do with Bush and more to do with the political situation concerning the countries in question. Xenophobia is a human instinct that tends to come out when we don't get along. Human nature. For all the rest of you, you really sound like bigots, rednecks, and assholes. You probably aren't, but it sure sounds like it. This thread sucks. thumbs_down.gif

hey sphinks, you're right. same with italians or irish in NY. same with Poles in Chicago. same with russians. that's very natural - you tend to stick to what's familiar (even if it's shitty). It's kind of strange to me when people in this country tend to think they are the center of the universe

What an amazing thread.

It starts with a right winger complaining about a spanish button.

It's weird how Walmart can attack and undermine almost everything these conservative types should be holding dear and all they can do is complain about a spanish button on the ATM reader.

Talk about backward and twisted. Such is the nature of the American mind these days.

Every time I hear a common American opinion I can only think "what a bunch of spoiled babies" I don't think most of you would last a day in the 'third world'.