What animal does this?

CascadeClimber

It's a cedar tree. For perpsective, the ladder is eight feet tall, and the marks go 20 feet up the tree.

wholetree.jpg

closeup.jpg

Closeup of a section about 10 feet up.

clawmark.jpg

Closeup of what looks to be a claw mark. The lines are about 1.5 inches apart.

Methinks it's a bear, but others are arguing for squirrel, racoon, and a bird.

????

-L

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched the squirrels do this to the cedars in my back yard. We sit in our breakfast nook and they sit in theirs. We eat muslix and honey nut cheerios, they eat our cedars. Actually, I think they use it for their nesting cushions. Pretty soon you will see a bunch of little rats with bushy tails where before there were only two.

jordop said:

What bear has a reach of twelve feet to slice that high?

I don't know what you're thinking about but bears can climb trees! I think that's what it is. My parents have about 8 squirrels in their back yard at a time and I've never seen any marks like that. But than again they don't have any cedar just firs so maybe that's why? Do you have many bears by your house? Have you ever seen any?

A little more info:

It seems to happen about once every two to three months, always at night.

It's been happening for about two years now.

If it is a bear, I think it must chimney against the fir to scratch on the cedar, but I've never been able to find any fur on the fir.

In the last two years we've had two cats get out of the house, never to be seen again.

About a year ago we found a large, tarry dropping in the back yard.

I hope it is squirrels, because my daughter refuses to camp out in the back yard anymore for fear of bears. frown.gif

-L

Where's you're garbage stored? If it's outside, one might have thought that a bear would have gone for that too. I'm by no means a bear expert, but I do know that you are NEVER to try to get away from one by climbing a tree because they're natural at it. If you have neighbours, wouldn't they have experienced something like this too, and have their own thoughts?

IF it is a bear, then what I've dug up suggests that they claw trees to mark their territory. Do you call Fish and Wildlife on something like this?