Knots

When tying in, you use:  

297 members have voted

1. 1. When tying in, you use:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to use an overhand backed up by half of a doublefisherman's knot, especially when climbing da Toof in the midst of a group of M's. It makes them shake their heads in wonderment, whisper amongst themselves, and maintain their distance.

It's really funny to watch it come back around when I'm rapping back by and note that the dead chunk of wood they're all anchored to at the top of the 2nd pitch could easily snap and send them all to their doom...they REALLY need to change their SOP document for that climb.

Double bowline with half of a double fisherman's (or grapevine, same thing). Since only one strand is being wound around a standing line and threaded back through the windings, it's only a half of a grapevine. Not to be a smarty-pants or anything, Bill. wave.gif

Swedish bowline for me (bowline with a clove hitch) - I can think of several advantages over the figure-of-eight:

1. Easier to untie after loading

2. the tail is pointed towards you and out of the way for short clipping

3. Its an adjustable knot

4. When you untie, there is no additional knot to undo before pulling the rope (it sux getting "half" an 8 locked at the anchors)

5. There is no "wrong" way to do the Swedish bowline, unlike the fig 8 where the threading can get mucked.

6. It freaks the proctors at the REI pinnacle out hahaha.gif

aint_this_great said:

oh come on! the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes around the tree, does the hokey pokey, and goes back into the hole. sheesh!

I'm just kidding. I can never remember how to tie the damn thing either.

I thought that was sex...

1. Easier to untie after loading

2. the tail is pointed towards you and out of the way for short clipping

3. Its an adjustable knot

4. When you untie, there is no additional knot to undo before pulling the rope (it sux getting "half" an 8 locked at the anchors)

5. There is no "wrong" way to do the Swedish bowline, unlike the fig 8 where the threading can get mucked.

6. It freaks the proctors at the REI pinnacle out

#1 Correct the bowline does untie easier after being loaded and also comes untied when you don't want it to.

#2 A fig8 can be tied so the tail faces the harness also. Pick up craig luebben book for a pic of this.

#3 So is a fig8, unless you are talking about when its loaded.

#4 When I untie my fig8 knot there doesn't seem to be any knot left in the rope... rolleyes.gif

#5 There is a wrong way to tie any knot.

#6 Using some funky knot to freak people is about as stupid as it gets. I try and not freak people out when i climb.

I can think of one major disadvantage of using a bowline. Many people (lambone wazzup.gif)don't know how to tie a bowline, especially the "sweedish bowline." I like to be able to glance at a partners harness to check that the knot was tied correctly. This is much easier to do with a figure8

• 4 weeks later...

There's something about the conscious act of tying in with a figure 8 that appeals to me. I know someone who was handed a figure 8 on the end of a toprope, clipped it to their locking biner, and at the top of the pitch, leaned back to be lowered, and fell to the ground. Unfortunately the locking biner was on their gear loop.