damnd snaffles

gapertimmy

In the interest of fairness and the American Way, I should report that the snaffles' get a bad rap around here. I recently left some hiking shoes along the roadside in Eightmile Creek for two weeks and when I went back to get them, the little bitty cutie critters had only chewed me a nice new fringe around the edges.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

I recently left some hiking shoes along the roadside in Eightmile Creek for two weeks and when I went back to get them, the little bitty cutie critters had only chewed me a nice new fringe around the edges.

They were shoes... don't confuse kindness with survival instinct.

specialed said:

nolanr said:

The Sierras don't have so much in the way of snaf.gif

either, as far as I've seen. A few pikas, and scrawny little yellow marmots that won't even whistle at you. Our hoary marmots would beat the hell out of the Californians. wazzup.gif

Clearly you haven't had a run-in with a Ring-Tail cat.

I haven't. Do they have those in the mountains? I thought they were mostly down by the Mexican border. I don't think I would count those as snaffles either, related to raccoons aren't they?

Okay mountain fashion police, you might have to come take me away. I usually wear swim trunk style nylon shorts and a polypro top. If it's real cold or I think I'm going to be plowing thru lots of snow, I wear polypro bottoms. It works, what's wrong w/ that? I just make sure I don't have the Superman outfit going on. I just don't like wearing pants when I'm hiking/climbing. I don't have a Seattle sombrero, but I got the next best thing, the Sitka. Only difference is snaps vs. velcro on the sides. Now let me tell you why I like that thing. The brim is wide enough to keep the rain off of most of your body w/out having to wear a jacket. I usually overheat when I'm moving and I have the parka on, unless it's real cold. And w/ the sombrero, you don't cover your ears or block your peripheral vision like you do when you're wearing a hood, makes me feel like I'm insulated from the world around me, which is NOT what I want when I'm outside. So do your worst to me fashion nazis! Geek_em8.gif

nolanr said:

Okay mountain fashion police, you might have to come take me away. I usually wear swim trunk style nylon shorts and a polypro top. If it's real cold or I think I'm going to be plowing thru lots of snow, I wear polypro bottoms. It works, what's wrong w/ that? I just make sure I don't have the Superman outfit going on. I just don't like wearing pants when I'm hiking/climbing. I don't have a Seattle sombrero, but I got the next best thing, the Sitka. Only difference is snaps vs. velcro on the sides. Now let me tell you why I like that thing. The brim is wide enough to keep the rain off of most of your body w/out having to wear a jacket. I usually overheat when I'm moving and I have the parka on, unless it's real cold. And w/ the sombrero, you don't cover your ears or block your peripheral vision like you do when you're wearing a hood, makes me feel like I'm insulated from the world around me, which is NOT what I want when I'm outside. So do your worst to me fashion nazis! Geek_em8.gif

we cant do anything worse to you than what youve already done to yourself. shocked.gif

nolanr said:

Assimilate, dood!

Be alternative, just like eveybody else.

Attitude said:

nolanr said:

Assimilate, dood!

Be alternative, just like eveybody else.

How alternative is it if everybody's doing it? How 'bout not being alternative to be different? rolleyes.gif

Schoeller gives better performance and looks nicer. Hell, i wore my dead bird schoeller pants to a job interview! they look like dress pants almost.

anatoli boukriev only had one shirt and one pair of pants that he wore everywhere from weddings to 8000m peaks. you cant do that with polypro and fleece but you can with schoeller. i cheat, i have a pair of carhartts too for trad rock and fixing my car.

the brim on the seattle somb. is way too small. i wear a kiwi drover hat if i need a hat. impractical for alpine climbing but good for hiking in the rain. like a umbrella for your head. and doesnt bleach-out like a nylon hat does if you wear it in bright sun on glaciers.

nolanr said:

specialed said:

nolanr said:

either, as far as I've seen. A few pikas, and scrawny little yellow marmots that won't even whistle at you. Our hoary marmots would beat the hell out of the Californians. wazzup.gif

I haven't. Do they have those in the mountains? I thought they were mostly down by the Mexican border. I don't think I would count those as snaffles either, related to raccoons aren't they?

madgo_ron.gifAnybody who's ever bivied on Dinner Ledge has probably gotten well aquainted with the ringtail madgo_ron.gif

Charlie said:

nolanr said:

specialed said:

nolanr said:

madgo_ron.gifAnybody who's ever bivied on Dinner Ledge has probably gotten well aquainted with the ringtail madgo_ron.gif

hey charlie, you ole' cum guzzler...how goes the battle? bigdrink.gif

nolanr said:

specialed said:

nolanr said:

What are you saying? Coons is Snaffles.

Ringtale cats are all over the Sierra. Well atleast in Yosemite valley anyway. This one fuckin Ringtail harrassed us all night during bivy on top of El Cap. Thing kept waking us up. Went all the way into our big ass pig and stole a bag of cookies or some shit. For the first time I was wishing I was still on the wall. yellaf.gif

snaf.gif

Dru said:

Schoeller gives better performance and looks nicer. Hell, i wore my dead bird schoeller pants to a job interview! they look like dress pants almost.

anatoli boukriev only had one shirt and one pair of pants that he wore everywhere from weddings to 8000m peaks. you cant do that with polypro and fleece but you can with schoeller. i cheat, i have a pair of carhartts too for trad rock and fixing my car.

the brim on the seattle somb. is way too small. i wear a kiwi drover hat if i need a hat. impractical for alpine climbing but good for hiking in the rain. like a umbrella for your head. and doesnt bleach-out like a nylon hat does if you wear it in bright sun on glaciers.

I agree with the schoeller comments, and I use a Kavu Chillba for hiking (it *is* an umbrella for your head :P) I'll be trying out some light beige schoeller pants this summer for glacier climbing, but I'm worried that they might still be a little too warm. I may have to revert back to white patagucci silkweight for those hot days on the snow.

Okay, let's clear this thing up. What is a snaffle? Definitions please. Is it any critter that gets into your food or otherwise bothers you? I generally assumed all snaffles came from the rodent family. If it's a broader definition, then ya gotta include birds like crows, camp robbers, gulls, maybe some larger mammals like deer and goats, and definitely bears, maybe the world's largest snaffle? snaf.gifwazzup.gif