Bibler Winter Bivy

rbw1966

I promised this a while ago and finally getting around to posting it.

A friend loaned me his Bibler Winter Bivy . For those of you unfamiliar with this new generation of bivy sacks, its made of the ultralightweight Epic fabric which is breathable and water resistant. At a scant 9oz. its super lightweight and compacts down to about the size of a pair of socks. I used it once in a light rain in my back yard, once on gravel in low temps and once on snow. I had to abandon my backyard test after discovering that its too small for my lanky frame and I couldn't zip it shut to keep out the rain. I did note that the only dampness on my sleeping bag was the area that was exposed to the rain--the area protected by the sack was dry. In lower temps I noticed a minimal amount of frost buildup on the outside of the sack with no moisture on my sleeping bag or the inside of the sack. It appears to be highly breathable, as I am a pretty hot sleeper.

The Bibler I tried out was pretty confining in girth and compressed the loft of my sleeping bag a bit. I imagine with a larger size this would not have been a problem. Also, I encountered the dreaded slepping pad slide but again, with a larger size I might be able to get the pad inside the sack. I saw no evidence of wear, snags or tearing from being on the gravel.

At $100 clams its a decent alternative to the regular, heavy bivy sacks that you can toss in your summit packs or jacket pockets for those epics you know you are planning.

Would anyone be interested in a custom-made bivy sack similar to this design, using the same fabric, that would sell for approximately $80? Add a hoop to keep the fabric lifted away from your face for another 20 clams or so. This is not a "home-made" deal but professionally crafted from an experienced designer.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, for lightweight, just leave the damn thing behind. If the weathers' foul, you're going to be miserable anyway.

Or get a twenty dollar adventure medical kits thermolite bivy sack. waterproof, with a nexus type brushed interior. Takes multiple days of abuse. Mine's been out on the Bailey Range and came back none the worst for wear. Also withstood two patient packagings in litter evacs off Rainier and still in use. Carry it in every daypack, always, now. weighs 7 ounces. twenty bucks.

a backpack with a suitably long extension sleeve works as bivy, also a cagoule. (work great togther!)

Or you can cover yourself with brush, then snow. don't forget to give yourself room to breathe.

A piece of cheap plastic, or better yet, tyvek?

No, wait, just dive into a snowbank, wearing lots of wool!

or find a nice, dense thicket of scrub pine, or cedar, and go to ground.

These all work. Just fine.You're going to have to get up and climb in a couple hours anyway, so...

There's two styles of bivy, one i like to call the American style bivy. about the size and shape of a sleeping bag. Sleeps one (except a couple examples), coocoony or coffiny.

Then there's a Euro style, or North Wall style bivy, produced by Integral Designs, Ortovox and a couple others, that are designed to be hung and huddled in. some have top vents to pass the rope thru, or full strength tie-ins AND ceiling vents.

I've got one from integral designs. 13 ounces, five feet high, nine feet long, two and a half feet wide, two peak vents. Sets up well on ledge, or hung atop skis on tour. 5 minutes of digging, and you've got a standup shelter for three, with peak vents! (let's have some tea in this whiteout, shall we?) or sleeps two side by side, with standup room.

Or, if its flat tarp time, 5x9 flat tarp.

Or,just roll up in that bastard if you're too tired to think straight.

Now, THAT'S a bivy sack.

Edited by Beck