Who's shredding pow this weekend?

Beck

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man am I jealous! A foot of pow in the northback and none of the dreaded lifts in action back there yet. I've been missing that place ever since I moved to CO in '98, and ever since then I've been telling the folks here that skiing in the Cascades kicks CO's ass if you care about terrain and don't mind skiing when the snow is falling. If you want crowds, oceans of weak terrain, fleets of groomers on the prowl and lot's of folks from Kansas cruising around on 155cm parabolics and rear-entry boots in neon accented one-piece Euro suits, then CO wins every time. The only exception near the front range is A-Basin, which is small but has sweet terrain and locals (especially the tele guys) that rip big time. Just in case any one out there is thinking that the grass is greener over here. Also - I skiied 30 days for $300 on a season pass good for Breck, A-Basin, Keystone, Vail, and Beaver Creek due to the local price wars - that part was pretty sweet.

Long Live Crystal!

Jayb:

Went up to Butler's Gulch a.k.a. ButtCrack today. Sweet foot deep powder, not TOO many people, and AWESOME bluebird skies! We skiied up to a little peak at the head of butler's, droppped down, then came back for another half run. Good stuff. We started to do a Rucshblock on the left side of the draw, but desided we'd seen all we need to know when it collapsed before we even finish diggin it! Luckly, it seems like there's enough low angle and tree runs to still safely ski there. Awesome day! I-70 was a bit of nut-house, but who cares!

JayB,

I lived in CO for a couple years, and I hear what you are saying about skiing there. Polli lift at A Basin rules, and I liked the back side of Eldora too. With a couple exceptions (Crested Butte..) skiing at the resorts was a bunch of overblown hype.

BC skiing around Loveland Pass is pretty great. Shit For Brains, The Professor, all great stuff.

Well I'm off to Baker tomorrow. Last time I was at the area we got into an arguement with the ski patrol about hiking into the BC. Perhaps a repeat grin.gif" border="0

I was up a schwietzer over Turkey day, my family has a place up there, and I hope to get up ther for xmas and new years... I grew up skiing there every weekend, riding the ski bus from cda baby....

If your gonna be around lets hook up for some skiing or overhanging sheltered bouldering... PM if you get a chance!

sean

• 4 years later...