JoshK

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rbw1966 said:

ChrisT said:

I enjoyed the early punk scene at the Greek Theater...English Beat, Bow Wow Wow, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads and Jerry Garcia.

Say what? Were any of the above ever considered "punk"? New Wave maybe (except for garcia) but punk?!?!?

I saw Queen circa 1980. One of the finer shows I ever went to--that I can remember.

The English Beat were compatible with a punk crowd. I saw 'em open for the Clash in San Francisco when they were touring in support of London Calling, an excellent show.

Hey Fern, I've been trying to get DFA to do that disc swap thing since July to no Avail (little haha for you there Doc). I'd be curious to know what great music you have found on the radio. It seems to me that when they do pick up something I think is great, it gets played to death, and the repetiton overwhelms the song. The White Stripes were a good example of this, a pleasant surprise to have them achieve success, but it has stripped the fun out of "Fell In Love With A Girl." BTW, word is their new disc is great, but I haven't heard it yet.

So, how many indie rockers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

What... you mean, you don't know?

who says I listen to the radio? confused.gifwink.gif

I am happy to do a disc swap with anybody. I will have a

look for DFA's suggestions.

the first concert I ever went to was The Who at BC Place. But

the best show I ever went to was a Billy Childish

all ages thing in Seattle thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Off White, the way I avoid the phenomenon of overplay that you refer to is by not listening to the radio (KEXP excluded). The really good bands that receive heavy rotation you're going to hear about regardless of whether or not you listen to the radio, especially if you're a music fan like yourself.

Furthermore, I try to ignore the bands that recieve the hype (like the Strokes and the White Stripes) until it's all over, and then I give them a serious listen. It seems to work for me. I'm just finally falling in love with the White Stripes.

You know what band I really like right now? Gang of Four. That stuff sounds as good as the day they recorded it in the early 80s. I'm not talking "I love a man in uniform" so much as I am talking "Anthrax."

I do like the Thievery Corporation and would be forever in the debt of whoever would like to burn their discs for me!

Fern - my mistake then, I guess I interpreted your comments to imply you found good stuff on radio, in addition to poking a pin in the music snobbery balloon. Billy Childish is a hoot, I had the sense he could go on all night if someone kept supplying the drink.

E-Rock - It's tough when the radio hyped band is something you listened too before they got the exposure. I'm not much of a radio listener, but my work van only has a radio, and running a construction company, jobsite radio is a constant. On the job, classic rock ala KZOK or KISW is the norm my crew has settled on. It's vaguely distressing to find I know the words to most of the songs.

As far as best shows, I think I've liked some of the festivals down here in Olympia best: the International Pop Underground Convention and the various Yo-Yo-A-Go-Go's. There's just something about the total immersion, 50 some bands in 5 days, that really turns my crank.

Best shows

REM Music Hall, 1984 (M. Stipe in full leg cast)

Everything But the Girl, 1994 or 5, Backstage

Robyn Hitchcock pretty much anywhere he goes

John Cale, 1982 or 3, Metropolis

The The, 2000, Showbox

Elvis Costello, 1999, Paramount

Best shows I have ever worked, in regard to production values

Dire Straits

Sade

Peter Gabriel

The Ring, Seattle Opera

Biggest shows I have ever worked

Michael Jackson, 24 trucks, fully loaded in and then Jacko called the show off so we loaded out and were done before dinner

Janet Jackson, 22 trucks I think, show was less than an hour long

mmmm...music.... smile.gif

Best shows Ive seen...

Iggy Pop

Soul Coughing (in a tiny venue)

Cheap Trick (always put on fun shows)

Mike Watt (anywhere, anytime)

The Time

George Clinton

De La Soul

Michelle Shocked

Lucinda Williams

Fugazi

Ive worked at a nightclub for about ten years , so the list could go on...but those would be my top choices.

Ian ,I used to work at the caboooooooooooooze. *cough cough* When did you leave mpls?

I dont listen much to radio anymore these days. Ive had Jhawks, Neil Diamond, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Dylan, Beck, de la soul, some blues mix, johny cash, and lucinda williams stuck in my cd player for a very long time now....maybe its time to do a little switch wink.gif, as Im sure my neighbors are sick of hearing me play the same things over and over.

rockband.gif

Best shows I've seen:

Dimmu Borgir @ the Graceland 2002

Nirvana/Butthole Surfers in Spokane a few months before Kurt lost it

Fight @ the Roseland in Portland

Slayer @ the Paramount

Sepultura in '94

Some of the crappiest shows I've been to:

Metallica Black tour

Soulfly

Strangely enough, one of the best shows I ever saw was Pearl Jam at Satyricon on Portland. Other great shows that stand out:

Clapton in Frankfurt

SRV in Frankfurt

Nirvana/Bob Mould at the Melody Lane Ballroom

Queen at the Memorial Coliseum

The Cure in Frankfurt

Snoop Dogg

That guy toked a 15min. smoke break in the midle of his show when I when to see him... Jay-Z was a pretty good show... although I will have to say I like Rock conserts beter than rap and country ones... but I still love bands like CCR, although they where never the same after John, did you guys know that he live in troy Oregon, a budy took me out there and we sat in the little tny watering hole and listened to him pick at his Gitter...