RobBob

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

freeclimb9 said:

The desire for clearance limits your options. Range Rover, or its cheap cousin the Land Rover, would work great.

Yes, these are great recommendations, if you enjoy getting friendly with your local dealership technician. In the yuppie town I grew up in land rovers and range rovers were quite popular. I never could figure out why. They were in the shop about 10x more often than any other vehicle acoording to every one of my friend's family's who had the displeasure of owning one.

RobBob said:

maybe what I oughta do is put new rubber on the suburban and drive it another year...

If it's paid for and not costing you much of anything at the shop, that's what I'd do. My Expolder is going on 9 years old this fall, and still looks great (except for all the brush scrapes in teh paint job) cantfocus.gif

...sobo

JoshK said:

freeclimb9 said:

The desire for clearance limits your options. Range Rover, or its cheap cousin the Land Rover, would work great.

Yes, these are great recommendations, if you enjoy getting friendly with your local dealership technician. In the yuppie town I grew up in land rovers and range rovers were quite popular. I never could figure out why. They were in the shop about 10x more often than any other vehicle acoording to every one of my friend's family's who had the displeasure of owning one.

I'd heard the same thing Josh before I bought one and went ahead and did it anyway...no regrets so far. It is pricey for service and so on, but the rig has never crapped out on me in any way.

Back home in Scotland, these are working vehicles used by the cops in the countryside and farmers. They're made to be abused and handle most terrain. I've found that to be true with mine (although it hasn't been abused). The '99 model was the last year they were hand-assembled before being bought by BMW and then Ford.

Yeah, the clearance is lower the bigger those Fords get, unless you upsize the tires.

Is this new vehicle going to be the "prime mover" for your family, or do you have an alternate, 4-door model for family ventures. If you have another 4-door, I'd get the 2-door Sport.

Dru said:

I drove a Ford Exploder on the Hurley River road once and that thing wags its tail like a two dollar hooker. More fishtailing than a mermaid. I would give the Ford a big thumbs-down cause i thought it was SUCK thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

In defense of the explorer (which I'm not a fan of) the new ones now feature IRS. The old ones (probably what you drove), like most current SUVs and trucks are based on a leaf spring rear, which is essentially unchanged since the 1940s. That's my favorite thing about SUVs. The manufactures are selling people 1940s and 1950s technology at modern prices. tongue.gif

Dru said:

It was a 2001 model.

LOL...well, back to the drawing board Ford. The fact remains that SUVs (esp. domestic models) don't have to be designed well at all. The yuppie masses by them anyway so it's not worth it to the manufacturers to improve worthless featuers like ride quality, handling, fuel effeciency. rolleyes.gif

iain said:

honestly every time I see someone driving an excursion, expedition, yukon, etc I laugh.

The caddislack ghettoslade is my favorite, esp. when white yuppie soccer mom's drive them. jeezus, get a fucking clue. The US automaker definition of luxury is simply more of everything. More ghetto leather, more ghetto fake wood, more ghetto chrome. Ugh...

My friend has a Forester, and not only does it fit 4 adults (and climbing gear) comfortably for trips up to the North Cascades, but it also has enough ground clearance to handle some pretty nasty roads. Two people can sleep in the back without getting too friendly (I'm 6'2" and can fit fine). It also handles much better than any SUV, gets twice the gas mileage, and is a lot safer. I've gotten rides in Explorers, and it's a lot less comfortable, even on trips that are only a few hours.

the_finger.gif

Jim said:

A fun hobby for big-game hunters, especially in the shopping mall parking lots where most of these critters live.

bigdrink.gif

http://www.changingtheclimate.com/[/url]

Jim, if I ever catch someone tagging my rig, so help me god I'll shoot the fucker dead on the spot with my .45, and then drag his/her lifeless body into the woods to be eaten by coyotes and ants. Think I'm kiddin?

If you actually need a rig - you're a contractor, bang nails for a living or such, -then you actually use the rig. It you have the macho-mobile to go pick up you're kids from school then you deserve to be humiliated with a sticker. I tagged ten shiny, never-seen-mud giants at REI this weekend.