Flying in small airplanes in Alaska

specialed

Anyone who's flown out of Talkeetna into the Park or elsewhere: What air service did you use? What did you pay? Did you book in advance? Is it crucial to go with Geeting aviation or is one of those other random services reliable and all that shit? Any other beta regarding flying in small ass planes to go climbing?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used Talkeetna Air Taxi in '99 and felt they were ok. They were more focused on flying the tourons around the mountain then in dropping off us dirtbags or picking us back up. Just trying to swing a buck or two but the way I see it I paid my money and should have had some priority--but we're a captive audience and the tourons aren't. Paul is a decent fellow and a climber to boot. Beckey used TAT when we were there, in case this matters to you at all.

While waiting at Kahiltna International Airport to be picked up by TAT, Jay Hudson felt sorry for us and gave us a ride back to Talkeetna. For that I promised if I ever returned I would use him. Last year (2002) we used Hudson and he was the best. Didn't have to wait more than a couple hours coming or going. I'd recommend him to anyone and if going back he would continue to get my business.

We paid in advance both times.

Personally, I would avoid using K2 because they have a contract with the Princess Cruise line and are trying to edge out the smaller guys. Go with Geeting, TAT or Hudson and I am sure you can't go wrong. TAT might need the business more since they lost a plane last year (crash)

Hope this helps

ISNT THERE AN AIR SERVICE UP THERE RAN BY TWO WOMEN??

TWO LADIES AND A BIRD OR SOMETHING...

I HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM...TRYING TO GET THE FOOT IN THE DOOR EQUALS BETTER SERVICE!!

SHOULDNT COST MORE THE $325 AS IS THE FIXED RATE.

You gotta fly with McKinley Air Service, the "2 babes and a bird". They are great people and they care about getting you in and out ASAP. They're also usually a few bucks less. Keli and LeeAnn used to work for Geeting, got sick of him, and started up their own business around '95. Just give them a call or email a few weeks in advance to give them a heads up.

http://www.mckinleyairservice.com

Tell them Ramenless sent you. And, no I'm not getting any money for this.

Mark

I will put a vote in for Geeting. Lets put it this way; if you have good weather, all of the services will basically be the same(except k2, They suck). If you have bad weather and you are stuck on the glacier, you have a much better chance of getting out if you go with Geeting. In addition you have a better chance of getting a free flightseeing tour in because Doug will mix up flight seeing and climbers more than others might. Every time I have flown I got to see lots extra. If you have not been there before it is well worth it.

I flew in with Geeting and Hudson took me out even though I'd paid Geeting. I got great service from them both and would recommend them. If I went again, I'd try for the two chicks and a bird solely because of how impressed I was by their flying/service. All the same, I'd go with Geeting or Hudson.

I think most of the services there tend to work with each other when times get tough and they need help. For instance, I saw both Hudson and K2 help out Geeting under different, but similarly difficult, circumstances. And I'm sure Geeting did/would help them out as well.

I usually fly TAT because they have a couple of bunkhouses, but others do to and all of the flight services are equally as good in my mind. Unless you get Paul (owner of TAT) and ask him if he has any "extra" fuel in the tank on your way out then you can sometimes get a really fun (rollercoaster) ride shocked.gif which always puts a huge grin on my face!

Alasdair said:

I will put a vote in for Geeting. Lets put it this way; if you have good weather, all of the services will basically be the same(except k2, They suck). If you have bad weather and you are stuck on the glacier, you have a much better chance of getting out if you go with Geeting. In addition you have a better chance of getting a free flightseeing tour in because Doug will mix up flight seeing and climbers more than others might. Every time I have flown I got to see lots extra. If you have not been there before it is well worth it.

Ditto that! I was stuck on the glacier for 5 extra days because of a storm. Doug was the last flight out(we missed him by a few minutes dragging our sorry asses up from the trench) and he was the VERY first flight in. Great guy, superior pilot, and demands the same of his other employees. rockband.gif Oh I forgot he flew anyone out. By that I mean anybody elses customers as did the other flight services. Don't know if this practice still goes on but it used to. The idea was to move as many climbers out of base camp as quickly possible.

sisu_suomi said:

ya, Bug you will hear lots of good stuff from Dave W. He has flown with Doug more than anyone on this site I'll bet.

Dave can pick the weather from Anchor town and be there for a good ski and climb and out before you know it. yelrotflmao.gif

Hmmm. Not sure which duck wack yur aimin for. I know no Dave W. Just tellin what I heard at 14K. wazzup.gif