3800-4200 cu/in Alpine Pack ?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a LaFuma Baltoro 70 at that price (~$200) and I love it. No bells and whistles at all really, but fit is excellent. The pack is a little on the heavy side though. If you're looking for light, cheap (under $200) and good quality, I don't see it happening.

JoshK said:

wdietsch, that chaos is a badass looking pack. Do you own the pack or know anybody who does? I'm curious how it carries with heavier loads since, as best I can tell, it doesn't use stays.

thanks,

-josh

Josh .... no I do not own a Chaos. I do however own a Chernobyl (love it) and will be adding a Valdez in the next 6 months. I have talked to a several Chaos owners and all have had good things to say.

You are correct ... no stays, all CCW packs are "foam frame". They are what they are. Put 60lbs in it and I am sure you will suffer.

I've skied with my Chernobyl very over stuffed and will admit it can be a work out, but then again I am only an average AT skier.

cheers .... bigdrink.gif

Wes

Marmot in Tacoma has last years Arcteryx Khamsin62 (one only?) for $199. (reg$240) Size Med. 4.0lbs. 4100cid. Blue. I saw it there today.

I thought about buying it myself, but I'm going to get a smaller sleeping bag and see if I can fit a 5 day trip into my current Bora40.

So, any suggestions for a sleeping bag: 25-30 degrees, down, under 2 lbs? I've been looking at Western Mountaineering bags, but they are $$$$$.

A good freind has used the Cold Cold World Chaos for years and loves it. I use a very similar 3 pound pack that costs less than $200 (second ascent) this pack is the Granite Gear Alpine Light. It fits me exactly right and so I love it. I have carried as much as 55 pounds in it on approaches and found it very comfortable even though the hip belt has no padding. Both the GG alpine light and the ccw chaos are specifically designed for alpine climbing (simple and light but with a few handy climbing features). fruit.gif

i own the cold cold world chaos and i love it. i dont know what "heavy" means to you, but i routinely carry pretty heavy loads (working for 6 days straight on mt. baker, for an example) with it and cant complain. i really dont think any pack is really that comfortable with heavy loads - might as well go light - youre carrying the pack too. ive also given the pack a pretty good beating and no problems. i also own the chernobyl and i love it even more - cold cold world is the stuff - i dont imagine ill ever use another pack.

Buy a really light rope, leave any quickdraws at home and just use spectra slings, heres the kicker:

Tell your partner you'll carry the rope and the slings if they carry the tent...hehehehee. It works every time. I've never had to use more than a 2700 cu. inch pack, even for overnighters in winter. However sometimes it's been tight, I've been thinking about getting a 4000 cu. inch pack for when it's my turn to carry the tent. I've been looking at:

Osprey Aether 60, 3 lbs 6 ounces, 3700 c.i., $200

Cold Cold World Chaos, 3 lb 7 ounces, 4000 c.i., $245

*** grin.gifArc'teryx Khamsin 62, 2 lb 4 ounces, 3790 c.i., $260 grin.gif***

Good luck.

Bill_Simpkins said:

*** grin.gifArc'teryx Khamsin 62, 2 lb 4 ounces, 3790 c.i., $260 grin.gif***

Actually, the Khamsin 62 weighs 4 lb 0 oz. I have one. Judicious use of scissors can reduce it further by removing the hip belt feature from the lid and cutting out the crampon patch. Too bad the side zipper cannot be removed as well.

I'm also in the market for an lightweight alpine pack for multi-day climbs. I've been looking at the

Wild Things IceSac at

3200 ci,

3lbs 4oz (non stripped)

$200.

And the BD Ice 50

at 3294,

3lbs 12 oz (non-stripped)

for $165.

Some bells and whistles are key I think. Like tool tubes, 'poon pouch, and removable sleeping pad. But do you think for two or three day climbs in cold weather a bigger pack is necessary?

Arc'teryx Khamsin 62, $260

4473 cubic inches

4 pounds 2 ounces

The Khamsin 62 has the heart of a mountaineer, and was universally loved by the testers. Its shape, slightly wider at the bottom than the top, keeps the weight centered in the right places for balance and ensures a big load can be carried without sacrificing headroom. The Y-frame aluminum and fiberglass stays and polyethylene frame sheet were forgiving on rough terrain and climbed very well, while the seamless shoulder straps and hip belt were comfortable with a full load. The frame sheet and stays are easily removable.

It is hard to believe the Khamsin 62, at just a touch over 4 pounds, boasts so many extras: The removable top pouch converts into a fanny pack; a side-access zipper

runs the length of the pack body; and a sturdy crampon pouch sits on the back of the pack. And don't forget about the ski slots, wand pocket, and compression strap over the top of the main compartment. The only complaint was minor: When the top pouch is flipped onto the back panel for loading the main compartment, it catches on the shoulder strap's rise-adjustment buckles, and constantly must be untangled.

Pros: Comfortable; pack's shape keeps the load well balanced; climbs well; good headroom; nice features. Editors' Choice award.

Cons: Edge of top pouch gets caught on shoulder rise-adjustment straps when packing main compartment.

Price vs. performance value: A

[...Climbing Magazine]