2024 Plans

olyclimber

What are your plans for 2024?   Not looking to get details on your super secret project, but general details to get some psych going

This year I just want to get out and do more with my fur climbing partner.   Since my vacation time is likely already spoken for (25th wedding anniversary, hunting in AK, canoe trip to Canada, week at the ocean), it will all have to be weekend warrior stuff.

1.  Warrior with @JasonG

2. Repeats of my 2-3 favorite yearly Olympic hikes with variations

3. Exploring more in the Cascades.  Dog friendly scrambles up peaks, to waterfalls, lakes, alpine.

4. Go further.  I'm in better shape than I have been in a while, so I want to use it before its gone.

• Like 2

1. Whatever subset of Curtis/Ptarmigan/Liberty Ridge/mixed climbs in the enchantments I can get done before Denali

2. Climb the West Buttress of Denali

3. Gannett Peak via Glacier Trail in a day

4. Consistently leading in the 11s on gear (at the crag)

5. Safely and consistently lead WI5 in Hyalite/Cody

• Like 1
  • Snaffled 1

7 hours ago, KaskadskyjKozak said:

What are they?  I still need to bag Stone.

The recent ones in the Oly forums.  Mt Stone is one of my favorites, but can’t  take Kiba the last little bit because it’s Park.  Been meaning to go up Skokomish for a while though. It’s in the Park too, but it’s just an one I haven’t been up yet.

My wife is due with our second in March and with the new Oregon law I have paid paternity leave for three months... ideally I'll get a little rock climbing in between changing diapers and taking care of the family before late July when I'm going to the Cirque of the Unclimbables for 2 weeks (my wife is so kind to put up with me, and my mother-in-law will come help out). After that I have no idea... maybe I'll get back into bouldering in the fall. There is plenty of easy access boulders near my house and it's easy with kids.

• Like 1
  • Wow!!! 1

10 hours ago, bedellympian said:

My wife is due with our second in March and with the new Oregon law I have paid paternity leave for three months... ideally I'll get a little rock climbing in between changing diapers and taking care of the family before late July when I'm going to the Cirque of the Unclimbables for 2 weeks (my wife is so kind to put up with me, and my mother-in-law will come help out). After that I have no idea... maybe I'll get back into bouldering in the fall. There is plenty of easy access boulders near my house and it's easy with kids.

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

Hell’s bells; since I’m officially a geezer, almost anything I do counts as an achievement. There are still a few bucket list trips that I’d like to tick; semi-rugged off trail stuff that would involve some minor scrambling. I’m going to be 90% or more retired, so hopefully more multi day outings. Lots of high lakes to explore. Maybe finally get up into the Chelan Sawtooths and/or central Pasayten. 

Edited by Phil K
  • Like 1
  • Snaffled 1

On 2/8/2024 at 1:32 PM, Phil K said:

Hell’s bells; since I’m officially a geezer, almost anything I do counts as an achievement. There are still a few bucket list trips that I’d like to tick; semi-rugged off trail stuff that would involve some minor scrambling. I’m going to be 90% or more retired, so hopefully more multi day outings. Lots of high lakes to explore. Maybe finally get up into the Chelan Sawtooths and/or central Pasayten. 

I highly recommend a larch trip in the Sawtooths late September-ish.  this year I cam in from the South and tagged N Navarre and Sunrise Peak en route to camp at Sunrise Lake, stayed the night there, then tried for Cheops (turned around maybe 50-100' from summit due to loose snow).  In a previous year I hit courtney/star/oval as a 3 day.

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak
  • Like 1
  • Snaffled 1