The coolest "I wanna" outside your given discipline

Matt_Anderson

Ahh, one of my favorite pass times is to search for and research new additions to the lifetime tick list. Most climbers I know whether they are skilled at and/or enjoy one medium or several, have at least a few routes that they aspire to or dream of doing for a variety of reasons, not just difficulty. I personally enjoy climbing in new and exciting areas as much as anything else. For me climbing includes everything from cranking an asthetic boulder problem to frozen waterfalls to shiver bivies on a remote peak. I enjoy spending time expanding the diversity of my climbing rather that working hard to become more skilled in one discipline. I guess this means that I will never climb harder grades on rock, ice, or 8000 meter peaks but there is enough climbing to do in the acheivable grades in each of these areas to keep someone busy for many lifetimes. Here are some of the routes on my lifetime tick list. I look forward to seeing others lists and maybe finding a few new additions to my own.

Ferrari Route, Alpamayo, Peru

Astroman, Washington Column, Yosemite

Regular Route, Lotus Flower Tower, Yukon Terr.

Ham & Eggs, Mooses Tooth, Alaska Range

Keeler Needle, Whitney Area, Sierra

The Nose, El Cap, Yosemite

Cassin Ridge, Denali, Alaska Range

Moonflower Buttress, Mount Hunter, AK

Nemesis, Ghost Area, Canadian Rockies

Mount Slesse's NEB, Cascades, WA

Sea of Vapors, Mount Rundle, Canadian Rockies

Midnight Lightning, Camp 4, Yosemite

And many more!

Happy climbing

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dreams.

1. Khan Tengri in Kyrgyzstan-- cheapest 7000 meter mountain in the world, in terms of permits.

2. Ama Dablam. Lambone, you know what I'm talking about. Just a fine looking peak with a little bit of everything.

3. Astroman-- been looking at that for a while.

Closer to home:

1. Mattp got me all interested in Squire Creek Wall. Gotta do something there. Same goes for Exfoliation Dome.

2. Drury Falls. I even went out and bought an inflatable raft for it.

Non climbing dreams:

Ride a motorcycle from Baja to Alaska.

Hike the AT.

Sail the Med.

Publish a novel.

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 10-17-2001).]

I want to climb trees again. Big trees. When I was a kid, I climbed trees all the time. My favorite thing was to climb way up high into tree-tops, and start swinging back and forth, back and forth. (I was 6.) After enough momentum, sure enough, the top would begin breaking, and I would get lowered gently to the ground. Well, it didn't always work this way.

One time I found myself at the top of a fifteen foot sapling, and after getting it rocking enough, the entire top just snapped in one go. Damn. Down I came, to the ground, straight onto my back. It hurt. I remember looking over to my side, and there was a little pointy stump where another sapling had been cut down. Needless to say, if I had landed another foot in that direction, well, no sexual chocolate or Moondancing for you guys.

I hobbled home, made a trip to the emergency room, and did refrain from climbing saplings for a while. (Our neighborhood had lots of short trees, as a memento to my awful exploits.)

So tree-climbing it is then. My "other" passion.

Gee Matt, I didn't realize I was under some predefined constraints as to what I can post on your thread. Thanks for setting me straight and getting me back on target. And my name is Mike Adamson not mike adam.

I would like to lead Polar Circus and ski The Hamborgler.

Mike

Skiing with the Hamburglar. That sounds like alot of fun. Way more fun than sking with Snuffleupugus of Big Bird. The Hamburlar is always dressed so snazzy. Plus, he always seems to have, well . . . a lot of hamburgers. Now if I could figure out a way to go climb drury with the beerburglar . . .

beersickles . . . nummy!

quote:

Originally posted by Climzalot:

Ahh, one of my favorite pass times is to search for and research new additions to the lifetime tick list.

Nemesis, Ghost Area, Canadian Rockies

um, Nemesis is on the Stanley Headwall in Yoho, about 150 km as the crow flies from the Ghost River... if you are heading to the Ghost to climb Nemesis you are in for a surprise. or did you mean the Sorcerer or Hydrophobia, they are both in the Ghost??

Originally posted by Mike Adam:

"Gee Matt, I didn't realize I was under some predefined constraints as to what I can post on your thread. Thanks for setting me straight and getting me back on target. And my name is Mike Adamson not mike adam."

I felt the same way, Mike. He jumped all over me for posting a question. Maybe he's a meter-maid, or an up-tight lawyer, or some other high-stress job-doer.

Hrrrummmphhh.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt Anderson:

Skiing with the Hamburglar. That sounds like alot of fun. Way more fun than sking with Snuffleupugus of Big Bird. The Hamburlar is always dressed so snazzy. Plus, he always seems to have, well . . . a lot of hamburgers. Now if I could figure out a way to go climb drury with the beerburglar . . .

beersickles . . . nummy!

I am the beerburgler. But I am scared of Drury falls shocked.gif hehehehehehehe

Hey Lambone, I don't have any trouble thinking outside the box. Tangents in these threads are sometimes interesting.

Completely unrelated spray to point out how someone's opinions about difficulty are wrong with your own opinion should branch off to a new thread in MHO. It's boring to the rest of us.

Nice job Erwin with your tangent. What keeps me from my dreams? Right now -- time to climb more and get the skills I need and a full time job that keeps me on airplanes too much of the time. Good luck in Steamboat. I moved here in July for exactly the same reason.

Bronco,

I'm with you on the paragliding. I really want to learn how to do that. I think it would be so cool to climb peaks and then just sail down to the car. Sometime there was a post about guys soloing up the Beckey route on Liberty Bell and then BASE jumping down. Forget the sufferfest of the hike down, just fly...

I really want to go to film school, yo. That is something I've been thinking about for a while. Too. I want to get a camera first, though. Or maybe not. I've been talking about that one for awhile. (The camera, that is.)

So, to recap: first on the list, film school. Second, (maybe) a camera. Unless I reverse the order.

#1. film school

#2. camera

Or:

#1. camera

#2. film school

Either way, it works for me.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? (The order of events.)

I wanna finish a damn wall route in yosemite!!!!!!!!......I've bailed off of the nose(once), the prow(once), and the south face of wash. column(3times!). Every time I talk with someone right after they've finished El Cap, Im so envious- they have a certain glow to them (and a certain smell ha ha)

I got another (if I'm allowed) I wanna hook into a big steelhead on fly fishing gear and land it. Maybe I will this winter while you guys are chopping down Drury Falls. I guess I could climb Drury, parasail down to the river and catch a steelhead while eating shrooms all the while.

Top that you blackbelt keyboard ninjas!!

So........Back on Topic

I don't know that I really stand out in any area of climbing. I have tried to get an all round experience. Anyway here are my goals for the next 5 years

Wanna do this year!

High Alt.

-Aconcagua, Polish Glacier

NW Alt.

-Rainier, Liberty Ridge

-Hood. Elliot Headwall & Yocum Ridge

Sport

-Smith, Heinous Cling (1st pitch)

-El Potero Chico, Spaceboyz

Trad

-Beacon Rock, Free for Some

-Moses, Primrose Dihedrals