The Hours Crawled By

catbirdseat

The Missus dragged me in to the cinema to watch Nichole Kidman and Meryl Streep in The Hours. I had hoped the Hours would fly by, but they crawled. Talk about the ultimate chick flick. Chick Flick to the n-th power. It was about a bunch of clinically depressed women with lesbian tendencies who wore anquished looks on their faces for TWO HOURS frown.gif. If I had had a gun with me in the theater, I might have shot myself. Excuse me while I go pop a couple Prozac...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never underestimate the capacity of women writers like Virginia Woolf to create their own private hell within the confines of their own mind. They should do like men do. If you can't stand it inside your own head, go scare yourself shitless on some cliff face. Don't just sit there.

I have a theory about the need of human kind to endure suffering. We evolved in a struggle for existence, constantly worrying about the next meal. Snake hid in the grass and lions stalked us constantly. We became adrenaline junkies.

Put us in a nice safe, quiet environment and you take away the adrenaline. We'll make ourselves suffer because we need to. We develop clinical depression. Climbers would rather let the elements make us suffer. Yeah it's contrived, but it is closer to being a caveman than our modern existence gives us.

i must not be in touch w/my feminine side b/c i think most chick flix blow. this one did nothing to change my opinion. then again sitting still for 2 hours to listen people complain about there lives was never real high on my list of things to do.

I watched The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood this weekend and found it had much to say about love, life, and relationships. Perhaps some things in there were too close to home, but I felt myself moved (though not to tears) and able to view things through a shared perspective - I am not the only one in this world who comes from a severly dysfunctional, alcoholic, and emotionally abusive home, and it is all too easy to reflect only on the bad that has been done. Yet, through it all, there is still hope in the world.

And I actually happen to like Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan.