CC Article

wayne

Monday-morning-quarterbacking by anonymous posters after they got back safely

And some not so anonymous Geek_em8.gif

My name is Sprayshaw. I am anonymous. Alchoholics Anonymous bigdrink.gif

If avatars can write articles now, who knows what will be next. Voting rights? I say ban all the goddamn REAL HUMANS and only avatars and dead people will be allowed to post on here.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you could jazz it up with some personal perspective. In the form of a narrative. "We were all set to do the North Face of the shmeeb when my partner Joe broke his leg. The weather was perfect and I knew this would be my only chance this season to go for it. No way in the world could I solo the Shmeeb.

Won't work. In Wayne's version the partner was from cc.com but had a family emergency, and Wayne soloed the Shmeeb.

Try the local news papers in the spring. We had a reporter from the PI on a club mountain bike ride. He wrote an article for the Getaways section. We should be able to set up something better than the usual lame ass articles they do on climbing at Mt Erie of Bruces Boulder in Levenworth.

Not saying that the reporters aren't lame or don't have an idea about their topic, but I can tell you when I write articles about climbing, mountaineering, backpacking,etc. I have to dumb it down. I am writing to a general audience (so I have to explain what a cam and carabiner are) and also at a 5th-grade reading level. I've had that battle for years with my editors about writing for those in the know, use the jargon of the activity, etc., but still I have to explain every little thing to people ranging from great grandmas in retirement centers to hardcore alpinists to 17-year-old pregnant girls. When you do that, something is definitely lost.

Just a viewpoint from a reporter

Take some pics of some cc.com sport climbers doing the latest 5.13 belayed by the met on the internet partner (whoever trask for instance) in the right light and you have a chance.

Make sure it's 5.12 R and shit.

Maybe I should mail this thread to both mags to let them know how out of touch with some climbing groups they have become.

Personally I saw that alpine magazine the other day and thought it was ok. It was a little recycled. Whatever though... It was still "ok" to read but I aint buyin it.

the new climbing mag was pretty good, except for 10 pages of recycling disguised as the Golden Piton awatrds. why the hell do they goive a golden puiton to siomeone who wins for competition climbing anyways. dude wont even know what it is "Is zis ze neu Petzl self-belay device, HAWH??" yelrotflmao.gif

I agree with Dru's post to make it personal. Especially for Climbing's Vantage Point section. You need to personalize it in such a way that your experience relates to the main topic of conversation. You could also trash the online climbing sites by doing a story about the guy who tosses oranges but never has to face consequences, as in I was on climbtrasksmom.com and planning a trip to the Tetons and asking beta. I got really great beta from one guy named Agent Orange and was psyched to go climb there with all this great beta only to find out he was full of shit and never been there. Then you could talk about online info in chat rooms vs. guidebooks, and just getting out there and doing it mentality.

Always make yourself look like an ass in some form and use personal reflection as a way to see light at the end of the tunnel phylosophy. Sorry for the rambling. Long day and too much work.

I agree with Dru's post to make it personal. Especially for Climbing's Vantage Point section. You need to personalize it in such a way that your experience relates to the main topic of conversation. You could also trash the online climbing sites by doing a story about the guy who tosses oranges but never has to face consequences, as in I was on climbtrasksmom.com and planning a trip to the Tetons and asking beta. I got really great beta from one guy named Agent Orange and was psyched to go climb there with all this great beta only to find out he was full of shit and never been there. Then you could talk about online info in chat rooms vs. guidebooks, and just getting out there and doing it mentality.

Always make yourself look like an ass in some form and use personal reflection as a way to see light at the end of the tunnel phylosophy. Sorry for the rambling. Long day and too much work.

but most important of all, work on your syntax, grammar, punctuation etc before you submit it, instead of hoping an editor will do it for you. Cause editors do not like to work!!

Another thing I would suggest mentioning is that climbers from diffrent states meet up and climb together. .. That we have vocal people participating all the way from minnasota...? carolyn I think. you might try to get in touch with her... foe some words. I know she met some people from the bbs when she was out here.

If they are saying it sounds too local, then I would agree with most others to put the focus on how it is a resource for people not only in the PNW, but those coming out to visit. A number of people out here in the flatlands are somewhat familiar with this site and frequent it when they are looking at a visit and need some beta. I think there is more the site has to offer, though...the photos, stories, trip reports, the likilihood of getting a good response to general climbing questions, and of course the chitter chatter, etc.

I think its a neat idea (did I just use the word, neat?! hahaha.gif). I would love to read an article in some climbing rag about this site. WIth all the hard work put into it by the admin and 'participants', it deserves a little recognition! the_finger.gif

bigdrink.gif

mags are about pictures so you stand a better chance of getting it published, if it comes with pro quality pictures as a package. if they have to illustrate it themselves with drawings, or with pulled submissions from pros, then its again, more work for them.

calling up the eds and asking them what they want to see, is like allison mentioned, a good step. most unsolicited manuscripts get rejected.