Stupor Bowl

Dwayner

I just had an exciting day in the mountains while many of you yawnsters were shoving cheetos and beer down your pie-holes and watching a bunch of padded grown men run at each other. Interesting and occasionally entertaining comments from my initial stupor bowl post. This one I don't understand and it comes from the E-Rockster:

"If people have fun watching a football game every so often, while hanging out with good friends and family, why should that piss you off?"

Who's pissed off? I think it's a goofy waste of time. So what. Have another one next weekend too. What a country!

And the lamest comment of them all, Bro. Cracked, trying his hardest to be a comedian with this knee-slapper:

"SPORT CLIMBING is the only MAN's sport"

Must be a whole lot of she-males hangin' out in the rock gyms or at Exit 38. And seems to me there are about 8-1 sport climbing females than alpine-climbing females. But that's a whole other topic.

Now go back to your living room, mop up the nacho cheese, kick your buddy and your other buddy's girlfriend out of the guest bedroom before a fight breaks out, clean the bean dip off the TV screen and start collecting the car keys from the visitors. Be careful not to trip over them on the living room floor on your way to work tommorow. (And don't forget to add some lawn food to the area below your deck to neutralize the gallons of urine that were deposited.)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dwayner, sounds like you've had experiences with some very low class friends. My pals don't get drunk, and we generally have a great time, great food, and the coffee starts flowing about an hour before anyone goes home. Actually over the years my best buddies live within walking distance, so no dwi's issued. You sound bitter. Perhaps less broad generalizations of the world at large? BTW, what's it like to be as cool and hip as you? Buck up pal, it'll be a new day tomorrow. Cheers, trask

Went to Crystal today. It was total glorious sunshine and no crowds at all. The lift tix were $5 cheaper today for some reason too. Maybe it was raining before I got there. What is all this I am hearing about rain?

And what is all this crap dissing football? I can agree with idiocy of sitting around all day watching it, especially paying a whole shitload of cash to sit with a jillion other people and watch it, but football is a pretty pure sport, and is cool as a game too with all the tactics involved in manipulating 11 players all taking off at once. Get all your buddies and smash through the opposition toward a goal. The way you stop the other guys is to throw them to the ground. The only way you can get much more pure is boxing (or rugby). They sorta trashed the purity though when they added that stupid forward pass and all this anti-taunting garbage.

Dude-Trask say:

"You sound bitter. Perhaps less broad generalizations of the world at large? BTW, what's it like to be as cool and hip as you? Buck up pal, it'll be a new day tomorrow."

a) not bitter

b) just generatin' a bit of spray.

c) what's it like to be as cool and hip as me? A good question and a question which I am often asked. Unlike Mattp who is truly effortless cool, it is not always as easy it appears. Especially the "hip" part because I'm constantly having to learn all the new phat jargon while kickin' in my 'rents da bomb basement. Yo!

d) As far as tomorrow is considered, it's only 2 1/2 hours away, despite what that goofy red-headed girl say!

annie_straight.jpg

I think I know where the Dwayner's coming from. I played football, loved the sport because it was a great channel for my aggression and because I was physically suited for it. But now it bores the shit outta me. Part of the reason is that it has become a gladiator sport, where the players are sacrificing their bodies by age 30 in hopes of financial fortune. They aren't everyday people. Plus I just don't want to sit on my ass for very long watching other people do things.

I used to think that I got some good life lessons from football. Now I realize that baseball gave me the same ones. All I have to show from football is a chronically sore back and other misc injuries.

Bro. Rob-Bob's got some insight when he say:

"Plus I just don't want to sit on my ass for very long watching other people do things."

Exactly.

When I go climbing, I experience the action directly, and I don't require a stadium, a coach, a big team and millions of obese people watching me nor do I demand millions of dollars for their "privilege" to do so.

i caught the half time show...

shania twain looked like crap and did a piss poor job lip syncing,,,wheras stink and gwen rocked!!!!

other then that...i dont even know who won?! though i suspect with like a 20 point lead...you dont lose...

go pirates!!! fruit.gif

Football can be fun, once in a while, both viewed and played (I'd rather play). The Super Bowl was the first game I watched all year, and it was cool at times. I just think it was sucky that the Raiders let the miscall on the two-point conversion deflate them (a life-lesson, RobBob!). They were totally coming back until that point. Discuss.

Maybe Dwayner was picked on by football players in highschool, hence the animosity towards the sport? Dwayner, do you watch people climb a really hard route? Just because some people choose to watch a sport does not make them lazy or fat or a wife beater or a drunk. If you want to cut on football fans, what about golf, baseball, hockey, soccer, and basketball? Rob, do you think you became uninterested in football, becuase you would rather be out there playing and not watching or because you got burned out on it? I can't figure it out myself with soccer. I played all the way through college, and now do not enjoy watching it as much (unless it is the World Cup) as I did when I was playing it. Can't figure out if it is because I got burned out after playing all year long for 18 years or if it was because I wish I was still playing competitively.

Mr. Moore, he say:

"Maybe Dwayner was picked on by football players in highschool, hence the animosity towards the sport?"

No. This is not true. Dwayner didn't attend a school where that typical sort of social brutalization was tolerated.

I don't particularly like team-sports. I admire individual more than group achievement. I like participating more than I like watching.

I think football, in particular, is an embarassment. If you like the game, great! Learn all them big life lessons, pay the money, watch the ad's, yell at people who can't hear you, do all that stuff you like.

Dwayner doesn't like football....an opinion contrary to your own. Who cares?

- Dwayner bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

" I think football would be more fun if the offense had

to play defense as well and people drew random position

assignments. that would be entertainment. "

at least it is better than baseball in that regard. rolleyes.gif

I believe even more entertainment value could be

squeezed out by removing all bans on performance-enhancing

substances. Let 'em get all wired on crystal-meth and

steroid pumped. I wanna see a freak show smile.gif

" I think football would be more fun if the offense had

to play defense as well and people drew random position

assignments. that would be entertainment. "

at least it is better than baseball in that regard. rolleyes.gif

I believe even more entertainment value could be

squeezed out by removing all bans on performance-enhancing

substances. Let 'em get all wired on crystal-meth and

steroid pumped. I wanna see a freak show smile.gif

fern,

didnt you see the movie "the last boyscout"?? member when that dude started blastin fool wit his glock special???

pro sports and weapons do not go together....least not as well as rap music and weapons do!!

i forgot to give you that cd!!!???

Hey, IMO the life lessons come from the trial and error of doin' it yourself, not watching others. Maybe the best sports lesson learned as a kid comes from baseball: Learning to 'play the ball before it plays you.' It is the personification of Pindar's phrase "The test of any man lies in action."

I believe that there are lessons to be learned from team sports. But the gratification in football quite honestly came from punishing the ball-carrier as often as possible. Nothing as satisfying as ca-wham nailing him as he swings wide or goes off-tackle. And this prurient thrill does not translate from doing to watching. hahaha.gif