Advice for a first ice tool

ktschmid

this probably could go in n00b but i thought it might get more attention here:

i'm starting to get to the point mountaineering where i'm climbing stuff where i'm either borrowing a tool from someone or wishing i had a tool (to second w along with an axe). so now, naturally, i'm thinking of buying a tool, but low and behold, there are 786597659875 different styles and types!

Advice? B4 WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS?... here are my goals, well, more like thoughts.

i'm just starting and i imagine i will want to move along to all kinds of climbing, mixed, waterfall, you name it, but my wallet cant even handle thoughts of a "quiver" so id like something really versatile. that beign said, right now i'm concentrating on mountaineering.

a lot of stuff ive read says most folks eventually go leashless, but i also want something, that, when i get a second tool, i can leave the axe behind and still plunge into the snow with the shaft.

i was thinking that for now i want a single tool that i can use along with an axe, but maybe this is a bad idea, and i should get two tools at once?

most importantly i need something on the lower $$$ end. this post is way too long for anyone on here to have actually read this far =) thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend the Petzel Aztarex. Pairs up nicely with a mountaineering axe, is fairly light and most importantly has a removable pinky shelf so you can shaft plant it.

I have a pair of them.... I haven't climbed a bunch of water ice with them yet, but so far they seem promising. Mostly I pair the hammer with my piolet in the moderate 'pine.

$200 should bag you one.

IMO, If you think you're going to want to be climbing anything steep in a year or two, just swallow hard and buy a legit tool: quark, fusion, nomic, etc. Otherwise you'll probably find the 200 bucks you spend now on a straighter-shafted, half and half type tool wasted. You can press any of the more agressive tools into service on the mellower routes with an open mind to technique, but you'll have a hard time making an aztar-type tool feel right on the steep stuff. Just my opinion. --N

thanks for all the great advice! that new quark looks pretty great but is a bit out of my price range unless i find a used one.

does the lack of a pinky rest (or any other type of rest) on the aztar make it hard to go leashless? i don't know if im so crafty as to make a pinky grip. i wonder if the grivel horn would fit on it...

NoahT what you say makes sense but i would still wonder about how well some of those (nomic or fusion) could plunge? by open mind to technique do you mean no more plunging?

Is there anything you all have used where the pinky rest switches/detaches so as to get out of the way pretty easily, maybe w/out a tool (like is needed on the quark)?

Edited by ktschmid

NoahT what you say makes sense but i would still wonder about how well some of those (nomic or fusion) could plunge? by open mind to technique do you mean no more plunging?

In a word, yes. The more curvy the tool, the harder it's going to be to plunge it. But I'd suggest there's a fairly narrow range of snow conditions where plunging is actually any good for anything other than just stabilizing yourself.

I spend a lot of time choked up on my older quarks, pick in, spike in, hand halfway in between. If you need a solid anchor in your average cascade snowpack, a tool dead-manned will do you much better. If you just need a third-leg for stability, really anything will do. I beat my balled up crampons with the side of the tool's head. I guess it depends what you're trying to do.

The premise is you want to sacrifice some performance for the sake of your wallet, AND you want to get into waterfall, mixed, winter alpine maybe. IMHO, the benefits of a more aggressive tool on the steeps will outweigh the benefits of a half & half tool on the mellows.

Happy searching!

--N

Well I've got a pair of BD Rage tools I bought 6 years ago and they'll probably be the last pair I buy for a LONG time. Great swing weight, nice curved shaft, nice finger rest (even with a leash gives a natural pivot pint for the tool to swing on). Good shaft for plunging. Will take whatever new picks BD comes up with.

Try seeing if you can locate a used pair of those. A lot of the lighter tools (aztar, aztarex, matrix light) don't have the punch you need for hard ice. And a lot of leashless tools are kinda tough to use on the more mundane alpine most of use do.

Take it from this old cobra the original vipers were great but also sucked because of their lack of an attachment hole at the point if you used the pinky rests. There were modifications out there.

This is a good point, I have seen lots of them modded with a little swaged cable loop, which seems like a good easy solution.

Take it from this old cobra the original vipers were great but also sucked because of their lack of an attachment hole at the point if you used the pinky rests. There were modifications out there.

Any more info on the mod for the older generation of vipers?

this is all great info. just so happens i was climbing this weekend w someone who had a (new but not the newest) quark w the pinky rest on, and an older grivel racing wing w a slider (which i recognized due to having looked up trogs great suggestion). they said the grivel was plunging way better and they preferred it for the conditions today.

so basically i have to decide between noah's suggested trade-off, sacrifice quality plunging for a tool that i'll be happy w on the really steep stuff, which kinda comes down to how fast do i want to go steep.

such choices, thanks for all the great info, still thinking

Bam!

BD Viper w/ hammer: http://www.geartrade.com/browse/101/item/143750

BD Viper w/ adze: http://www.geartrade.com/browse/101/item/143749

Or, if you want to go a little lighter weight and get better plunging, go with this...

Camp Awax w/ hammer: http://www.geartrade.com/browse/101/item/126251

I've heard good things about the Awax but never used. BD Vipers are great, I did my first WI4 with them (leashless).

Check this one out:

http://www.camp-usa.com/products/ice-axes/alpax-special-hammer-100402.asp

The red grip slides up and the pinky rest folds away. Also comes in an adze model.

Additionally Grivel made an Air Tech Evolution with a sliding pinky rest that was pretty awesome. Their new model includes a stupid leash, but find an old one and it will work.

• 2 weeks later...