[TR] Prusik Peak- South Face Beckey Route 7/2/2006

olyclimber

Climb: Prusik Peak-South Face Beckey Route

Date of Climb: 7/2/2006

Trip Report:

Hansel and I climbed the South Face of Prusik on Sunday via the Beckey Route, but instead finished via the direct .10a splitter handcrack that is on the east face of the highest summit block (it is described in Kearney's guide). Climbing the South Face ofPrusik has been a wet dream of mine since I read about Beckey's Cashmere Crag Club exploits. Also, just getting into the Enchantments to see everything was a goal that I had not been able to fulfill until now. I had been on the edges (a failed attempt to climb the Flagpole, a solo hike up the Colchuck Glacier to Colchuck Peak), but never into the heart of the Enchantments. Hansel had climbed the Burgner/Stanley twice before, so he was interested in something different, so we chose the Beckey route. In case you were wondering who Annabelle's big hunk was:

home-small-4.jpg

4342SouthFacePrusik_125.jpg

The crap about how wonderful and beautiful the Enchantments are...well that stuff is true.

4342SouthFacePrusik_118.jpg

Its pretty well documented elsewhere, so I'll try to spare you my gushings. I had Hansel paint me a picture of Prusik a couple of months ago, so climbing it with him was pretty awesome, and I'll be sure to remember the experience everytime I look at the painting now.

4342Painting.jpg

It was pretty hot on the hike up, but we survived, and didn't see anyone else from Snow Lake up. The approach cutting between Lake Viviane and Temple Lake put us at the base of the climb. That night Jeff saw Jesus with a dog on his head on Porpoise Point, which is the final pinnacle you can see from the

Flagpole group, which you see looking to the south below Lil Annapurna.

4342SouthFacePrusik_158.jpg

The climb was awesome, up clean granite. A nice chimney to start things off.

4342SouthFacePrusik_163.jpg

I meandered around a short ways above that, then my ropegun bolted straight up a full rope pitch.

4342SouthFacePrusik_173.jpg

Then we busted right along Snafflehound Ledges. Then up a very nice fist to hands crack.

4342SouthFacePrusik_177.jpg

Then up a gulley/chimney till you hit a short little lie back to the left of two possible cracks, which put us at the base of the money pitch. Money.

4342SouthFacePrusik_190.jpg

It is short, but you pull through a beautiful handcrack to the top of the highest summit block of a beautiful mountain. Gush. We hung out on the summit for a little while, and finally noticed some other people, a party of two climbing the Stanley/Burgner.

4342SouthFacePrusik_222.jpg

We rapped off to the north, there is just a little snow left on the trail.

4342SouthFacePrusik_263.jpg

4342SouthFacePrusik_293.jpg

After down climbing the West Ridge approach, I wanted to run down a take a few pictures from the southwest aspect like this:

4342SouthFacePrusik_320.jpg

....and I took a nice 7 foot fall head first off a boulder when I stepped on my shoelace. When I was falling, I took a moment to reflect on and enjoy the irony that I was going to break my arms going to take a picture and after all the climbing difficulties, but some how I managed to escape with a few scrapes.

4342SouthFacePrusik_329.jpg

Jeff is an awesome person to go climbing with, and you should check out his paintings of rock, though that isn't all he does.

Also, I was thinking of re-establishing the Cashmere Cragging Club, or is that still going? I would definitely like to go back and visit Boxtop, High Priest, and the rest of that ilk.

4342SouthFacePrusik_330.jpg

On the hike out I killed 8 in one blow...eight mosquitoes feasting on the blood from the scratches of my fall.

Gear Notes:

+Full rack up to #4

+Ropegun (Hansel brand)

Approach Notes:

+Not to much snow on the approach, but still plenty in the upper Enchantment basin.

+Danger! Mosquitoes!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...