Why aren't there very many black climbers?

catbirdseat

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Well, as a black man, mountaineer, hiker, snowboarder and skier to just name a few; I feel that a lot of it does come down to money and what your exposed to. Lets be honest here people, we have very expensive hobbies. Also if your parents were city people and never ventured out of the urban area your more inclined to do the same. My parents exposed me to alot of what the world had to offer and it was up to me to decide what was my calling. bigdrink.gif but here is to being individuals and having the option of being that little brown speck on the side of the hill.

Also remember it was Matthew Henson (a black man) that was the first to the north pole, not Commander Robert Edwin Peary sometimes history forgets. We are few but we are out there.

BrittEasterly, you've made a good post.

But I always thought Henson and Peary arrived at the pole together (in 1909). Although, they may not have been exactly there when they thought they were there.

"Also remember it was Matthew Henson (a black man) that was the first to the north pole, not Commander Robert Edwin Peary sometimes history forgets."

Okay, maybe Henson was in front of Peary at the precise moment, but they were the only two who went all the way there after other team members progressively turned back. Sadly, Henson was largely ignored by the press afterward; Peary got all the attention.