• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
catbirdseat

Why aren't there very many black climbers?

45 years old but where your teenage daughters mini skirts to the bar.

you are WT if you clean house once a year "weather it needs it or not"

Gimmee caps, jacked up 4x4 truck with pit lamps, chain framed license plate, home tattoo job, acid wash jeans OR nylon tracksuit, dog tied up in yard all day, cut down tree in campsite for firewood then surprised when it wont burn.

Damn, I wrote a nice story for this thread, then lost it. Shit, I don't have the energy to type it again... madgo_ron.gif

(Nuthin personal, Jon...shit happens grin.gif)

Edited by RobBob

Perhaps they are smarter or just havent had an oportunity to take over our sport and dominate...?

Its only a matter of time before one of my human brothers will have white dudes as sherpas....

Well, as a black man, mountaineer, hiker, snowboarder and skier to just name a few; I feel that a lot of it does come down to money and what your exposed to. Lets be honest here people, we have very expensive hobbies. Also if your parents were city people and never ventured out of the urban area your more inclined to do the same. My parents exposed me to alot of what the world had to offer and it was up to me to decide what was my calling. bigdrink.gif but here is to being individuals and having the option of being that little brown speck on the side of the hill.

Also remember it was Matthew Henson (a black man) that was the first to the north pole, not Commander Robert Edwin Peary sometimes history forgets. We are few but we are out there.

BrittEasterly, you've made a good post.

But I always thought Henson and Peary arrived at the pole together (in 1909). Although, they may not have been exactly there when they thought they were there.

"Also remember it was Matthew Henson (a black man) that was the first to the north pole, not Commander Robert Edwin Peary sometimes history forgets."

Okay, maybe Henson was in front of Peary at the precise moment, but they were the only two who went all the way there after other team members progressively turned back. Sadly, Henson was largely ignored by the press afterward; Peary got all the attention.

. bigdrink.gif but here is to being individuals and having the option of being that little brown speck on the side of the hill.

yellaf.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Post of the day! rockband.gif

Seems easy to forget anyone who doesn't fit the archetype. Josephine Peary is rarely mentioned in any mountaineering discussions either.

It is a sad loss for folks who follow in their footsteps.