Tacoma vs Seattle

Fairweather

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can be at the gate to MRNP in under an hour. Not sure how Seattle is "closer to skiing and climbing." Closer to corduroy snow and the state's largest outdoor rock climbing gym is what I think he meant to say. :)

pretty sure sure seattle is actually closer to skiing and climbing. how long is the drive (on a normal day) to skiing for you? How close are you to climbing? How about climbing on granite? How close is it to Index?

I do understand...you've got to make a case that you've made a good choice. I think you have! If you actually love it there, that is. But if a free market person is to speak, then let the free market speak. Clearly Tacoma is less popular. If less popular is what you seek, then you won. Congrats. I don't think where I live is better because it is more popular though.

I can be at the gate to MRNP in under an hour. Not sure how Seattle is "closer to skiing and climbing." Closer to corduroy snow and the state's largest outdoor rock climbing gym is what I think he meant to say. :)

Arguably, Tacoma is closer to better skiing than seattle. Crystal anrd rainier are both reasonable drives from t-town but under an hour seems a bit optimistic, but maybe. And you still have to negotiate the road to Paradise, so add another 30-40 min.

Regardless, snoqualmie is closer to seattle and traffic is typically not bad headed that direction. Snoqualmie, IMHO, has some of the best accessible backcountry in the state. The low elevation has, especially, in recent years, done it no favors.

Climbing-wise, seattle wins, hands down. 30 min to "the state's biggest outdoor climbing gym," (which actually sounds pretty sweet to me). And 1 hour from the state's best crag, Index.

Based on Fairweather's photo it seems like the only skiing he's ever done at Snoqualmie is lift skiing at Ski Acres.

Crystal is a better ski area, but when it comes to backcountry decent wintertime options are limited to Paradise for the most part. Not a bad spot but you have to play by park service rules and bad visibility on the upper mountain takes away some of the best skiing.

Yes I have done a bit of backcountry out of Crystal, but you can get to better lines faster at Snoqualmie, and backcountry out of Stevens is a lot closer.

One thing I liked about seattle when I lived there was that it might not have been super close to the goods, but it wasn't that far either. I mean, it's pretty central to lots of good stuff. SPSL has Rainier but thats about it. Seattle is not too far from Rainier, not too far from N Cascades, Snoqualmie, not too far to head to the east side of the mountains, etc.

Even in 11worth, I've got a lot in my backyard but if I want to go to Baker or Rainier it's a multi-day event.

this thread is hilarious. Seattle vs Tacoma. How about Seattle vs Spokane? Or Tacoma vs Kennewick?

Spokane is a bit of a drive to the real climbing. Other than that, and speaking in an overall, qualified sense, would beat out Tacoma for sure, and possibly Seattle due mainly to the horrid traffic situation there.

d

OOOH OOOH Did you see Gravedigger!?

Well of course, but the truck to watch last weekend was Son-uva Digger. While my wee lads were justifiably mesmerized by the monster trucks, I was much more impressed with the freestyle motocross dudes. Those guys are crazy skilled.

I just wish I could live closer to Tacoma.

Based on Fairweather's photo it seems like the only skiing he's ever done at Snoqualmie is lift skiing at Ski Acres.

Dude, like, you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not my picture; you missed the point. In any event, just got back from a semi-backcountry adventure at Crystal. Rain and more rain. All my shit is wet.