election 2014

ivan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not a partisan issue. we all own it.

Uhh, this is a first. Heretofore, you've always peddled the notion that it's evil Republicans who bear all the blame for our nation's racial injustices.

That's because your data points the finger at his party. If it pointed the other way he'd be singing a very different tune. Even Trash can't explain away 100 years of data

Nope. Not my schtick. I'm not anti-conservative. Pretty fiscally conservative myself, actually.

I'm a specific policy guy. The GOP happens to have a lot of failed and stupid policy ideas is all. It grasps for the past, rather than looks towards the future. It's not a data driven problem solving organization. It's relies on promulgating copious amounts of bullshit. It suppresses votes. It sucks religious dick at the expense of civil liberties. It sucks military dick at the expense of social welfare and peace. I don't like any of that.

But whatev. Don the partisan mantle and bicker on. All the kids are doing it.

In my advocacy work I support partnering with any organization that agree to be an ally for a specific campaign - even if that organization opposes us on other fronts. The Catholics, for example. They are against the death penalty - common ground. They are also against providing family planning services in their hospitals. We oppose that.

Politics are less partisan than the reinforce-my-myth blogs and media would have you believe in practice, particularly at the state level. Fighting sells. Compromise is dull. The news is all about the feds, but life really isn't.

What offends us may vary by partisan proclivity - that's a genetic thing, but we all share a lot more values than many of us are willing to admit.

These are nice sentiments, but you have never conveyed or practiced any of them here. If you have had some sort of epiphany recently, well, ok. But forgive me if I remain a skeptic.

He's admitted he's a card carrying Democrat with a capital D before. He's as non-partisan as James Carville.

That statement is unsupported and unsupportable, and therefore has little meaning.

The evidence is very much to the contrary - the Dems have long worked hard to afford equal access to voting rights for everyone. If you have data to the contrary, let's see it.

Now gerrymandering? Both parties engage in that, but that's not voter suppression.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Should we forget the 1960s era Jim Crow south?

If you are saying that right now, regarding the voter ID laws, the GOP machine owns a widespread and systemic form of suppression that has a particularly troubling racial element to it, then yes. But it has gone both ways. Both parties have been responsible for attempting to minimize the political influence of those that do not support them.

It's not 'off the table (you're free to discuss whatever you like), but it's not also not voter suppression, so you can't honestly conflate the two. If you'd like to segue the discussion towards gerrymandering as a separate issue, go ahead. Aside from the very obvious difference between denying someone the right to vote or not, there is also a difference in scale. Voter suppression policies are statewide. Gerrymandering is not.

An intelligent, referenced analysis of the two parties RECENT gerrymandering histories would be very interesting. I don't study that particular issue - so I don't have that in my kit.

Wiki has a good page on it.

Dirty Democrats:

Illinois_District_4_2004.png

Rapacious Republicans:

TX22_109.gif

Or we can let the 'libtards!' and 'conservitards!' crowd continue barking at each other from their respective cement tire chains.

That's always fresh and informative.

If, by voter suppression, you mean trying to thwart the efforts of Democrats to enfranchise non-citizens (both documented and undocumented), then yes, guilty and proud. Of course, this isn't really suppression. In fact, the Democrat notion that low income citizens are incapable of engaging the franchise without their help goes back to the patronization/paternalism I referred to above. And the Democrats oft-expressed belief that most of these poor are minorities is abhorrent.

If, by voter suppression, you mean trying to thwart the efforts of Democrats to enfranchise non-citizens (both documented and undocumented), then yes, guilty and proud. Of course, this isn't really suppression. In fact, the Democrat notion that low income citizens are incapable of engaging the franchise without their help goes back to the patronization/paternalism I referred to above. And the Democrats oft-expressed belief that most of these poor are minorities is abhorrent.

Not to mention convicted felons. Give them the vote! Oh, you're opposed, that's because they are disproportionately minorities, you racist. ;-)

cc.com n' the shadowy spray-lords of days gone by will roar back to unholy life only after a sacrifice to the gods is arraigned on an alpine altar - need to get some more nimrods of the first order in a huge clusterfuck on national tv if we're to make the nut :)

cc.com n' the shadowy spray-lords of days gone by will roar back to unholy life only after a sacrifice to the gods is arraigned on an alpine altar - need to get some more nimrods of the first order in a huge clusterfuck on national tv if we're to make the nut :)

Can I suggest who, oops, I mean what to provide as an offering?

BTW I passed on your acronym filled ruminations on meetings to my teacher friends and they just thought it was a hoot.

BTW I passed on your acronym filled ruminations on meetings to my teacher friends and they just thought it was a hoot.

i'm honored for sure - would be pleased more to see some of them add to the klingon poetry in the thread that can only flow when the flood fountain of eduspeak horseshit is set to full :)