How to repair Schoeller fabric?

Greg_W

I have a puncture-type hole in my Schoeller Dryskin pants (in the leg for you sick-minded bastards) and was looking for repair tips from anyone with such experience.

I was thinking about using a garden-variety iron-on patch and then reinforcing it with seam grip, or something.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Greg W

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How big's the hole? If it's not too big you could just fix it with Seam Grip. Otherwise, either your iron-on patch with SG reinforcement idea would be good. Or you could just use some scrap nylon (presuming you have such at your disposal) and use SG as glue, and make your own patch that way.

You could also send them to DFA, and he will repair them for a nominal fee (beer money would suffice). Just wash that stank out of them before you send them.

Depends on the patch, prob'ly, although DFA would guess that most outdoor gear patches would have a pretty low-temperature glue on them. The Doctor had some waterproof/breathable iron-on patch material a while back that he used on a couple different garments, and it worked fine (nice and flexible, too). The key is to just be paranoid-careful with the iron, and just use the very edge at the pointy end so you're mainly just ironing the patch and not the Schoeller. You can also lay down a t-shirt next to the patch to sort of mask the rest of the Schoeller garment so as to minimize the chance of the iron frying the adjacent fabric.

i wouldn't think glue patching schoeller would work that well. i'd try to just "darn" the hole with a needle and thread. stitch threads across the hole in one direction, then weave more threads through those from the other direction. as done with socks in the olden days.

oh yeah. yo mama.

Greg, one more thing DFA thought of, since you mention never having used Seam Grip: don't glom the shit on too thick, or you'll wind up with a rather awkward lump of rubbery stuff where the hole is. Whichever method you use, moderation is key. Go with a super-thin coat to start with, and if it's not enough, you can always add another layer, but you'll never get the shit off if you apply too much the first time.

depending on where the hole is i would worry about it sticking to my leg though, since seam grip always seems to be perpetually tacky.

Try dusting it with corn starch, takes some of the sticky away.

Another point of view - don't bother with the patch unless it is in an embarrassing spot. I've got lots of holes in my schoeller, and they don't seem to get any bigger.

If your ski technique is at all sloppy or if you walk around much with crampons on, you are going to continue to rip your pants in that area. In olden times, we used to wear gaitors but now they are considered too heavy for the one-day superalpine X-tream approach to climbing.

Matt, Don't forget the essential duct tape gaitor reinforcement.

Everything these days is schoeller this and shoeller that, It's like it was with gore in the late 80's, and excuse to add a 400% markup. But I do see it's merits.

Here is an excerpt from a typical gear store conversation:

Customer: "Wow this seems like a nice pair of climbing pants, but why are they $260"

Sales Clerk: "It's schoeller dude"

Customer: "Oh I get it now, it's schoeller. By the way, does it come with a matching jacket"

If I remember correctly, Schoeller is a blend of nylon, polyester and lycra. Only polyester has a high enough melting point to allow iron on patches. Iron on patches really have to be hot to stick well. Most patches are made of cotton because only cotton can take that kind of heat.

If the hole is small, I would simply darn it shut with needle and thread of matching color, then apply a gob of seam grip from the underside to seal it and make it waterproof.

If it is a tear, you have two choices: you can join the edges by overcasting by hand (better for a very small tear-this causes some puckering of the fabric), or you can sew a patch to the backside with a machine. If the patch is coated nylon, most of the water integrity should be maintained. You can then apply seam seal to the stitching.

I hope this helps. Ain't it a bitch when you poke a hole in brand new expensive pants?