One fix for seattle needed

glassgowkiss

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree- the cooles was McKinley.

by "coolest attempt" i meant "coolest attempt that wasn't succesful in actually killing the president"

jackson was the object of the first attempt on a president's life - the crazy dude who tried shooting him in the capitol entrance improperly loaded his two pistols, and when both misfired, the last at point-blank range, jackson beat the holy hell out of him with his cane and had to be pulled off the guy

asked by the cops why he tried to kill jackson, he merely mumbled that his death would "make money more plenty." jackson, feeling that he'd had his fun and made his point, pressed no charges :)

Hey, GGK, while you're worried about how offensive Vlad is to ya, what have you done to roll back the world's most sophisticated and invasive surveillance state in history right here in the good ole U S of A?

This was established already after 1917 soviet revolution, so if you are so worried about NSA, you should thank vladimir for breaking the trail and showing NSA how it's done. So by this way of thinking even one more reason to remove this mother fucker. BTW, this continues to this day, by installing cameras in hotel rooms and even bathrooms in Sochi, so GRU can spy on visiting foreigners.

BTW, by your mentality why not built a monument to bin laden in NYC?

Yes, this syphilitic mother fucker is offensive, as a large part of my family was deported in 1939 to Kazakhstan, and my grandfather spent several years in prison .

Yeah, and my peeps were persecuted by the English, but you don't see me wasting my time burnin' effigies of Oliver Cromwell. I wasn't there. Neither were you.

We only have the present and the future. The past is gone. Trying to make right what cannot be made right is an impossibility - and the revenge such a mentality often calls for is a formula for perpetuated human misery. Look forward, Angel. Plenty of shit to do right now to try to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again. There are things that piss you off, sure, but then again there are things that constitute very real threats to a free society - the one we supposedly live in right now. Insults and Threats are two very different things. One chooses to be insulted. You choose to be insulted by Lenin. Many do not. Same damn statue.

One does not chose to be threatened. That's the end of the playing field where the most action is needed. I can provide some specific actions you can take, today, that will substantively help prevent totalitarianism from growing right here at home.

Trash, I applaud your efforts to keep this country free from extraordinary government intrusiveness, however, a touch of sensitivity should be a consideration. Should a black person be angry if the town council of Atlanta erected a statue of a white pointy hat wearing Grand Dragon on a beautiful white horse in the town square? "Hey, it's art" you'll tell them, and that's in the past. Brush it off, the past is gone." Or a statue of Hitler erected on the South Lebanese border looking south into Israel? "Hey, youse Joos can just choose to not be threatened, that's the past."

That's not the way it works. The fact is Trash, you can be insensitive and glib because that shit didn't directly hit you. We should be considerate and sensitive to those far too many who were not so lucky or blessed as we were to not get the raw shaft they did. Regards to you and yours Bob. The past is NOT gone to be forgotten. Never forgive. Never forget.

Never.

Never forgive. Never forget.

pretty much sums up the whole dynamic of the middle-east! that philosophy sure do keep the world spinning around :)

your analogies aren't so great - a statue of lenin (and again, one bought cheap off an empire that'd just gone tits up by a community of fruitie hippies) in fremont is more equivalent to a statue of george armstrong custer in malaysia than one of nathan bedford forrest in georgia

whataday know, damn thing's got it's own wiki-page!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Lenin,_Seattle

well, after a brief read, i now have an obvious solution - the family that own's it wants to sell it - perhaps you can put together a group of like-minded folks to purchase it n' melt it down n' recast it into a more dramatic work depicting lucifer giving it to stalin something rough? :)

at any rate, if bill's "never forget" mantra is in fact true, doesn't keeping a piece of tangible history about to remind you of that which you don't want to forget like...uh...a good idea? and what better than a giant statue w/ whatever artistic modification your local community feels like throwing at it? :)

The past is NOT gone to be forgotten. Never forgive. Never forget.

Never.

This is why I've petitioned to have all statues of Julius Caesar everywhere in the world melted down -- he really slaughtered my Gaulish ancestors. :(

If you disagree with me, you're insensitive.

The senate drone bill made it out of the rules committee, where such tings are usually kilt, so there's that. Spoke to Senators Kohl Welles (D) and Pearson ®. Our lobbyist had just shoveled an earful into the latter, who kindly advised him on a workable strategy to navigate the Rs, but proof is in the pudding. That meeting was kind of like following George Carlin with a stupid pet trick act, but thas coo. Rep Kristiansen was on the floor during the meeting slot, but that support's pretty solid. All of them were focused on other bills at present.

D Po-lice are fightin it - it's surprising that some Rs are buckin' em, but we may wind up having to take the 'no weapons' provision out. You heard that right - a whole bunch of folks want domestic weaponized drones. Drop your Sens and Rep a line to let em know how you feel about totally unregulated use of weaponized drones in a town near you.

A stayed up all night trying, unsuccessfully, to eject the toxic teriyaki and katsu i'd wolfed the afternoon before from my sweaty shivering carcass - had to curl up on the bathroom floor for the night - but sometime around dawn the Drol Susej called for a cessation of dry-heavin' hostilities just before I gazed heavenward and utter "My Dog, My Dog, why have you forsaken me?"

There's another bill floating around about hobby drones - bit of a shitshow that one, and totally different from the bills I've mentioned which deal only with gubbmint drone acquisition and use.

Inslee's death penalty moratorium was a chocolate covered blowjob that happily eclipsed today's robo-festivities. The guy's really stand up in my book.

Because consider this: dead men and drones never forget, nor do they forgive.

Never.

Ever.

I'm not gonna say it again.

Ever.

HB 1771 and SB 6172. Kind sorta the same, although the amendment process can recombine the DNA a bit on occasion.

No regulation of drones now. Anything goes!

Local and state approval of drone acquisition and use.

Warrants required when personal info collected by law enforcement.

Emergency use (firefighting, SAR, etc) OK - minimize personal info collection (SAR victim ID, etc) but no warrant required.

No weapons. Or maybe weapons. Stay tuned on that one.

Don't know how drone delivered avi bombs would fit in, but I suspect the ski patrollers might want to eliminate the competition for their understandably favorite past time.

That's right - good catch. national security and civil liberties can involve a bit of triangulation, especially when the NSA directors lies under oath right to your face. That tends to make a lawmaker a bit less generous about handing out the power popsicles. Sec 215 was never really used much for 'fighting terrorism'. It was used for the Drug War - and today's current mass surveillance shitshow.

Get pissed. This opportunity to roll this action back won't last forever, and our dear Commander in Chief is fighting' it with everything he's got.

Make no mistake, Snowden's docs show without a doubt that the NSA's higher ups do not give two shits about your privacy or the 4th - at all. They think that's a quaint anachronism. They used their surveillance toys for everything - stalking ex wives (LOVEINT), digging up dirt on their political enemies - UNICEF and Doctors without Borders to name a couple, spying on Angela, ferreting out foreign corporate intel - everything but foiling a terrorist plot. Yup. Not fucking one. And that's why they're gunnin' for Snowden - he turned a spotlight on these cockroaches. All of this shit is from their own documentation. Harsh!

We've been here before with Nixon, only this is T2 level Nixon.

Some of us free press, innocent until proven guilty, probable cause types beg to differ. This is what tyranny looks like in 2014. It has a PR firm on retainer and doesn't wear skulls on its lapels. It wears a cute lil stars n stripes.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

HB 1771 and SB 6172. Kind sorta the same, although the amendment process can recombine the DNA a bit on occasion.

No regulation of drones now. Anything goes!

Local and state approval of drone acquisition and use.

Warrants required when personal info collected by law enforcement.

Emergency use (firefighting, SAR, etc) OK - minimize personal info collection (SAR victim ID, etc) but no warrant required.

No weapons. Or maybe weapons. Stay tuned on that one.

Don't know how drone delivered avi bombs would fit in, but I suspect the ski patrollers might want to eliminate the competition for their understandably favorite past time.

my senator's one of the sponsors so i guess i can skip writing him :)

he suuuuure don't like my union though....

Write him. Just because he's a sponsor doesn't mean he's working on it or gives a shit about it. If they don't get enough tallies in the 'whining constituents' column, they tend to drop the project and go on to bigger and better things. You've got to keep these folks focused - they're like cats. Break out the laser pointer!

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Don't know how to break this to you, but, other than your fellow teachers, there aren't too many folks who actually like your union. There are those who hate it, and those who tolerate it. And when the bill for McCleary comes due, it's gonna be even less popular. :)

Don't know how to break this to you, but, other than your fellow teachers, there aren't too many folks who actually like your union. There are those who hate it, and those who tolerate it. And when the bill for McCleary comes due, it's gonna be even less popular. :)

Spoken like a true tool. Everybody I know would like to pay our teachers what they deserve, but then, I hang with a better class of folk.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Everybody I know would like to pay our teachers what they deserve, but then, I hang with a better class of folk.

I think private sector collective bargaining is necessary to offset wage-fixing that takes place in the corporate world. No problem with private sector unions. And, on the public side, I agree that teachers should be paid what they're worth. Unfortunately, the NEA/WEA thinks all teachers are all equally qualified. Good teachers ought to be outraged that they are being paid the same as the the bad ones. No reason they ought to be allowed to bargain collectively--at least to the degree that they presently are.

(Ditto police and firefighters, BTW.)

FDR was a "tool" too, I guess:

All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations. The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives in Congress. Accordingly, administrative officials and employees alike are governed and guided, and in many instances restricted, by laws which establish policies, procedures, or rules in personnel matters.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=15445

Edited by Fairweather

well, I wish you'd stay in a non-union hospital then, as non-union usually have twice as many patients per nurse. So when you are shitting under yourself in pain, waiting for a nurse to answer your call light, thank non union management for streamlining your care.

Yeaaah, I don't care what FDR thought about unions. My phone tells me its 2014. Ditto for Obama or any other president. They're neither educators nor union experts. Or maybe I SHOULD call the president about that faulty light circuit?

Call me crazy, but I'm going to get my information about the art and science of teaching from...wait for it - professional teachers. Fortunately for that effort, I have several friends in the biz.

As uzhe, the issues therein are somewhat more nuanced and complex than the FW's stick figure and weirdly POTUScentric universe might allow. While 'If A then Z' is a reliable two stroke for belching great clouds of Bold Proclamations with an 'insufficient time to derive' footnote - as ole Glenn Beck and Co can attest, it doesn't help one's cred much in a room full of grownups. The world's got all the two stroke experts it can use.

no wonder you like lenin in seattle- unions were outlawed in all the countries controlled by moscow.

As uzhe, the issues therein are somewhat more nuanced and complex than the FW's stick figure and weirdly POTUScentric universe might allow. While 'If A then Z' is a reliable two stroke for belching great clouds of Bold Proclamations with an 'insufficient time to derive' footnote - as ole Glenn Beck and Co can attest, it doesn't help one's cred much in a room full of grownups. The world's got all the two stroke experts it can use.

You, of course, being one of the grownups. :rolleyes: Forgive me if I crack a smile, but this is kind of funny coming from the same guy who has been banned here repeatedly for his boorish and downright vulgar behavior. I was hoping to engage sans the personal attacks--since we do agree on a few things--but this has once again proven impossible to do with cc.com's resident narcissist. You're a pretty weird guy.

no wonder you like lenin in seattle- unions were outlawed in all the countries controlled by moscow.

and for pretty similar to reasons to what fdr stated - The People already have your best interests in mind, so what do you need to organize for?

for my part, i don't think the union should be all powerful in the education world. it's one governmental entity that needs balancing by others. we advocate for our interests, the admins for theirs and the politicians in theory for everybody else. it's hard to have faith that The People (through their representatives) will look after all my interests since a decent number of them aren't really supportive of public education to begin with and would be perfectly happy to drown the baby.

Not sure this is true at all. Didn't pretty much every local education measure on the ballot just pass across the state last night? I think the people really just want to see the shitty teachers gone and the good teachers properly rewarded. Too subjective a standard for the WEA? Not fair? Well, welcome to the real world. :)